SmedBlog: eSports Support - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's so lonely in the corner...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-12, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #196
FireWater
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

Truthfully,

I think its a great ambition for now, but the only way to make an eSport work is on a much SMALLER format, i.e. max 8v8.

eSports needs to be able to focus on the players as well as the match. Casters need to be able to call out players/actions. Anything too large would be difficult to specatate, cast and organize frankly.

I give SOE the benefit of the doubt, I am kind of curious what they are up to though.

Engineer for NUC's Alpha Squad http://www.nucgaming.com
Old 2012-08-12, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #197
tkoreaper
Private

I think everyone is putting way too much thought into this eSport thing... Making it more complicated than it needs to be.

To those saying that eSport in PS can't be pulled off or that PS itself can't pull off having an eSport stop being so narrow-minded. Planetside is a game of it's own... No other to call it it's equal... no clones. Why should an eSport aspect of the game be a clone of all the others? You say there's no room for small scale 10 vs 10 combat like current eSports in PS and you'd be right, BUT that's not what PS is about.

What do I think about when eSport and Planetside come to mind? I think about Outfit versus Outfit action... who said eSport needs to be on a smaller scale? As I said, stop being so narrow-minded and use your brains... Why would PS stoop low enough to become just another version of your typical eSport? Think larger scale! Current FPS eSports are like golf... PS eSport would be like the NFL or NBA.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #198
Polaris
Private

Misc Info

I wouldn't mind seeing some competition play in this game. I think it needs to be set-up like WoW's Arena/R-BGs. You have your team to do the 4v4/8v8/12v12 ladders, except giving you the option to play against other teams in a random queue (based on your rank) and an invite system to support Ladder/League Play. This is one game I'd buy map-packs that are designed for competition, since the game is F2P.

The only thing I will say, is I have no interest in seeing another Battlefield. I would prefer to see it be Infantry Only or Light Vehicles. This is strictly my personal opinion. We'll see I guess.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #199
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by tkoreaper View Post
What do I think about when eSport and Planetside come to mind? I think about Outfit versus Outfit action... who said eSport needs to be on a smaller scale? As I said, stop being so narrow-minded and use your brains... Why would PS stoop low enough to become just another version of your typical eSport? Think larger scale! Current FPS eSports are like golf... PS eSport would be like the NFL or NBA.
I covered this in a post....

this thread IS 12 pages long so I forgive you for not reading it :P

Outfit vs Outfit is the only way I could see it being popular because it WOULD fail to beat dedicated arena games at arena eSports combat.

So it would HAVE to be large scale and it might even be really cool and take off.... there are some wicked logistics with getting 100-200 players just on 1 team together reliably with mixed schedules etc so I have some pretty substantial doubts on it getting pulled off.

Persistent battles are different than scheduled matches. Persistent battle is just whoever's on is on... but eSports tends to require more structure than that.

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-12 at 10:44 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #200
Slide Surveyor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Papscal View Post
Holy crap my worst fears coming true. Is this not the type of content they promised to keep out of the game? Meaning all the junk that has failed before in previous tittles. Smed has lost it.
I agree.
Old 2012-08-12, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #201
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

If this means my outfit can be found live and commentated on while we're just playing around and capturing bases I'm all for it. How awesome would it be to fight over bases and find out people are cheering for you? They want you to succeed, and likewise there's people hoping that the enemy will rout you out.

I'm not talking about anything structured like 500 v 500. I'm just talking about commentators, SOE and any other audiences taking a camera in game, looking for action and seeing what's going on.

Maybe have something in-game that pops up going, "You are being watched!"
Old 2012-08-12, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #202
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by IceyCold View Post
This whole "Developers not just looking at customers as just dollar signs" thing is going to take some time to build; although the Planetside 2 dev team has done a great job so far from my experience.

Cheers.
I have ZERO problems with a company trying to earn my money. It's when they stop trying to earn it, and expect you to pay the full price for the bare minimum effort (last 2~3 years of PS1). All I want is a company that can maximize the money that I give them by creating high quality balanced content.

Honestly, SOE should look at the PS1 subscription archives and reward a nice chunk of PS2 station cash to the hardcore PS1 vets (not me) that gave hundreds of dollars over the last couple years to keep PS1 running. That would make them look a TON better in my eyes (even though I wouldn't get any of it).

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-08-13 at 12:04 AM.
Old 2012-08-13, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #203
psychobilly
Corporal

Originally Posted by PoisonTaco View Post
I'm not talking about anything structured like 500 v 500. I'm just talking about commentators, SOE and any other audiences taking a camera in game, looking for action and seeing what's going on.
Was going to say no to the whole esport concept... but I'm cool with the above. Make it just an aspect of the existing game. One outfit can still throw down a challenge to another - but anyone can show up if they want.
Old 2012-08-13, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #204
Xaine
Major

I'm very for E-Sports.
Old 2012-08-13, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #205
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by FortySe7en View Post
You guys are thinking WAY to big here.

The only way this would be successful if it was platoon on platoon. 48v48. 500 v 500 would be stupid to watch, let alone try and cast.
IMO 48x48 might even be too big for e-sports. I think they have to restrict it down to squad vs squad, that is 10 vs 10.

And when we have 10 vs 10..... Is it really Planetside we are playing then?
Old 2012-08-13, 03:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #206
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
IMO 48x48 might even be too big for e-sports. I think they have to restrict it down to squad vs squad, that is 10 vs 10.

And when we have 10 vs 10..... Is it really Planetside we are playing then?
The only way they could LAN it is 10v10.

And if they had some sort of competitive 10v10 mode, that would be brilliant. Its better than running around watching zerg outfits bash their face into a base until they finally get in.
Watch as I play various FPS titles every night from 9-12 EST
Old 2012-08-13, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #207
Harasus
Sergeant

I could totally see a 500v500 eSport match. Sure, it would not be so much focused on individuals as it would be on the bigger picture. You would not have any zerging, instead everything would be planned down to the smallest detail. It could be pretty damn epic to watch, especially if you had commentators that could go into spectator mode and just watch everything going on at anytime and anywhere.

Of course, the game and the outfits would have to be successful for that to work.
Old 2012-08-13, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #208
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

I can imagine it now- flying 1000 guys out to play in a huge room, and all the preparation that would be involved.

After costs, the grand prize would be a total of however much change the SOE employees have in their pockets at the time.
Old 2012-08-13, 05:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #209
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

you know smed, You gave me a grand idea. Have you ever seen the movie "death race" What your talking about kinda reminds me of that. Would take some work to get it right though.
Old 2012-08-13, 05:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #210
Firearms
Sergeant

Sounds great to me. Would love to watch my outfit while I'm stuck in work

Def. a shame Smed used the term eSports to generate so much whining.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion