Controller Support - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We'll give you 'the talk' before your parents do.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-16, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Re: Controller Support

So long as they don't include the aim assistance that traditionally come along with console controller support, I don't care.

However, if they don't, I suspect people will find themselves disadvantaged with controllers, even if they find them more comfortable normally. People are really surprised when it becomes apparent just how much assistance controller schemes need to give them to make them feel right.

And I believe offering that assistance is not in the spirit of fair competition in a PC game where mouse and keyboard is the default.
Old 2012-04-16, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
LancerNC
Private

I have a lot of friends who only play xbox and not pc fps games, they have said they would try the game out if they could play with their controllers, so I would really like to see controller support, I see no significant problems with including controller support since it would only affect the person using the controller.
Old 2012-04-16, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

All games with controller support require aim assist. So, no thank you.
Old 2012-04-16, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by LancerNC View Post
I have a lot of friends who only play xbox and not pc fps games, they have said they would try the game out if they could play with their controllers, so I would really like to see controller support, I see no significant problems with including controller support since it would only affect the person using the controller.
Excellent point.

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
All games with controller support require aim assist. So, no thank you.
Proof? You don't need aim assist in fact I despise it, and people who are claiming a keyboard and mouse is more accurate then a controller have clearly never played a FPS with a controller or they suck with a controller. I have played games both ways and I see no clear advantage to a keyboard and mouse. If anything the controller would destroy the keyboard. Look forward to proving it in game if the option is available.

And to the gentleman who commented on PS1 having controller support, I already touched on that but as I pointed out it was flawed.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
Proof?
Every console shooter.

Enjoy the read.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-04-16 at 02:05 PM.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
The Kush
Captain

Every console shooter.

Enjoy the read.
That was a "rumor" never confirmed. Even if it is true, I originally wasn't arguing one is better over the other, just wondering about the options. If it really is that big of a disadvantage I will stick with my keyboard and mouse like I did throughout PS1.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Not a rumor.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Aurmanite
Captain

Not a rumor.
Without any actual data to support it's claims, that blog post is nothing more than an opinion about something that may or may not have happened.

I'm certain that the keyboard and mouse is the superior input system, but that blog is proof of absolutely nothing.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Your right. That's why all the FPS games have cross system play now.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Aurmanite
Captain

You're right. That's why all the FPS games have cross system play now.
I struggle to see how this is relevant. Well, I don't really struggle because it's completely irrelevant, but I'll humor you for now.

I know people that use controllers in PC games and absolutely destroy. If we're using your criteria to judge what is, or isn't proof, my personal experience is proof that controllers are equal, and all further discussion on this matter is unnecessary.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on where you sit, in order to prove something you need substantial evidence. Opinion and references to personal experience (another form of opinion) don't cut it, chum.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

You are still wrong.
Old 2012-04-16, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
If anything the controller would destroy the keyboard. Look forward to proving it in game if the option is available
Oh man, you're funny. Take that on tour.

I don't care what you use, but you're kidding yourself if you think you have anywhere near the accuracy or speed/sensitivity in some kind of objective sense.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-04-16 at 03:13 PM.
Old 2012-04-16, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
LancerNC
Private

If the controller is really so inferior yet people still don't mind playing with them and prefer them to keyboard and mouse, people using a keyboard and mouse will still in no way be negatively affected by them...I would like to see them added because it brings in a larger fps gamer crowd
Old 2012-04-17, 05:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Shogun
Contributor
General

let those leet controller overlords play with their controllers if they want, but DON´T GIVE THEM ANY aimassistance because if controllers are not inferiour as you all say, no aimassistance is needed to compensate for anything.

you don´t want to play the game with keyboard/mouse for which it was developed, that´s ok. but don´t expect any unfair assistance when doing so!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-28, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
The Kush
Captain

This is why I made this topic;

Last night I was drinking with some buddies and we got on the topic of video games. Of course I took full advantage of the opportunity and enlightened them with the awesomeness of Planetside. Immediately after discovering it was a PC game they shut it down and didn't want to play, despite admitting the game sounded awesome. Reason being is one guy told me he likes to kick back and wouldn't want to be up by the keyboard and using a mouse. The other guy said the mouse and keyboard is too complicated (lol) given that he has always used a controller setup. I brought up the point to them that the game might have support for third party controllers and you could maybe plug your Xbox controller in. After I told them this they got excited and wanted to play again.

Don't get me wrong, I see both sides and I definitely don't want the game dumbed down with aim assist and anything along those lines. But as far as having more population, and a better success and future for the game, you must appeal to a broader audience. And there definitely is that group of people that is scarred of the keyboard and mouse concept. I have been playing planetside since 2004 so I know how silly that sounds, but the truth of the matter is by enabling the option of a controller, you will draw in extra players you normally wouldn't.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion