AGN: ReachCast Community Question #97 - How Many People Will Play PS2 on the PS4? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where its good to be a whore!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-08-03, 11:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Deringer
ReachCast Show

Question ReachCast Community Question #97 - How Many People Will Play PS2 on the PS4?

Last week on ReachCast we asked …

“How many people do you know who will play PS2 on the PS4?”

As always, respond here or e-mail us at [email protected] or call us at (415)787-3224!
Old 2014-08-04, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
STOMPIE
Private

Re: ReachCast Community Question #97 - How Many People Will Play PS2 on the PS4?

Personaly, I know one person. I have put the question to some popular YouTubers and Twitch personalities and they have all said they wont. But I do have some general thought ide like to share.

I think because of its release date (4th quarter) the initial uptake may initialy be slow. But with good reviews and marketing, it wont be long before the Playstation Nation sinks its teeth into it. The fact that its F2P may scew stats a little. Yes people will initially flock to download it but how PSN and SOE support the player base will influence the likely long term player base.

In my opion, the following criteria is critical to success.

1. Whether or not there will be all access for PS4 players or something similar? (An incentive program)
2. The pompt and comparable updates with PC
3. The open mindedness of the PC player base on forums when PS4 players search for guidence, advice and encouragement.
4. Lastly, and this may seem silly, but the readiness of established, experienced and respected outfits to integrate their outfit to the PS4. I think it would be invaluable for an outfit say like TRG to provide noobs with leadership and guidance throught the initial phase.

I cant wait for this game to release on PS4. I have been a COD player for years and the lastest example, Ghosts was a huge let down and the next one looks crap too!!. I am itching for an fps that is new, exciting and on this scale. So much so that Planetside 2 will be the reason I buy the PS4. Yes I coud have bought it earlier but to be honest, no fps's interested me.

Im hoping that Planetside 2 will be everything i know it can be.

Last edited by STOMPIE; 2014-08-04 at 02:06 AM.
Old 2014-08-04, 04:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Mietz
First Sergeant

Re: ReachCast Community Question #97 - How Many People Will Play PS2 on the PS4?

Originally Posted by Deringer View Post
Zero
Old 2014-08-04, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

I barely know anyone who was stupid enough to buy a pissfour to begin with.

So, yeah, dito on "Zero".

Edit:
Originally Posted by STOMPIE View Post

I am itching for an fps that is new, exciting and on this scale. So much so that Planetside 2 will be the reason I buy the PS4. Yes I coud have bought it earlier but to be honest, no fps's interested me.

Im hoping that Planetside 2 will be everything i know it can be.
Dude, that is not a good idea, if you have a working PC (and even if you don't) i can only tell you to avoid this-gen consoles. They just aren't worth it.
The PS4 is just a bad PC with barely any of the comfort and convenience left that once used to be the unique selling point for consoles. Update this, DRM that, wait, wait, wait. My PC is more convenient these days. Top it off with no backwards compatibility and you have a downright laughable product here. There is simply no point whatsoever in buying a console. Except maybe for the one or two decent console exclusive titles. And if one or two good games justify the price tag of a new console is something everyone has to decide for themselves.

And a PS4 just for PS2? Whyyy on earth would you do that? You would be WAY better off investing that money into your rig.

By all means, buy yourself a PS4 just to play a different version of PS2 on it (that may or may not work well on console, and may or may not have any playerbase whatsoever), i just don't get it. I mean i don't get these new consoles and console players in general, why would anyone want to have one of those things? This isn't the age of bitwars and cartridges anymore, a console nowadays is nothing but an inferior PC.

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2014-08-04 at 06:09 AM.
Old 2014-08-04, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Eballz
Private

I believe launching PS2 on the PS4 is going to bring an incredible amount of numbers and revenue to SOE.
As far as I can tell MMOs, Free 2 Play, and Micro Purchases will be a brand new concept to the console community. After 2 years of playing Planetside 2, I have not found anything else like it. Other games can not be compared to the massive scale and unique style of game play that PS2 brings.
When PS2 hits consoles i believe it will take off. Console players are going to be blindsided with these "new concepts".
If SOE handles their marketing right, Planetside 2 on the Play Station 4 could be the top game of 2015-2016
Now this could also fail if they stray away from the format that the game is now and not put the massive amounts of numbers we have in live into the PS4 version.
Another thing is making sure micro purchases will WORK in game. Console players seem fickle and can get bored in an instant if the game is not presented correctly.
Everything they do from making an SOE account to streaming should all be easily accessible so a child can make sense of it.
*lets be real here, minors with no income besides their parents' are the majority of gamers. Most prevalent with console players.*

And the number one thing SOE NEEDs to do is... teach.
The hardest thing to do in planet side 2 is to learn how to play the game. Now there is a tutorial but that does nothing to teach you team play and working well with others. Lots of others. Hundreds of people.
If i hadn't had joined an outfit and learned from my team mates, I would not still be playing this game today. I wouldn't have bought membership, nor put over 1500 hours into this game, as a casual player.
This is all food for thought and, either PS2 on the PS4 will be a success or a huge flop.

-Eballz [252v] Miller

"How many people do you know that will play PS2 on the PS4"

none

Last edited by Eballz; 2014-08-04 at 08:35 AM.
Old 2014-08-04, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eballz View Post
*lets be real here, minors with no income besides their parents' are the majority of gamers.*
Nope.jpg
Old 2014-08-04, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
STOMPIE
Private

Originally Posted by Eballz View Post
I believe launching PS2 on the PS4 is going to bring an incredible amount of numbers and revenue to SOE.
As far as I can tell MMOs, Free 2 Play, and Micro Purchases will be a brand new concept to the console community.

Revenue can only be a good thing. More money, more Devs, less waiting time for improvements....lets hope.

The micro transactions....are not as new to console players as you may think. Admittadly, the latest COD: Ghosts has had more Micro transactions/DLC than any previous COD. Its not on the same level possibly as PS2 an other MMO's but they are there on the console and becoming more and more popular.
Old 2014-08-04, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
AuntLou
Staff Sergeant

Nah I'm gonna stick w/ PC. Why downgrade my experience?

http://www.thefortydeuce.com

Last edited by AuntLou; 2014-08-04 at 08:23 PM.
Old 2014-08-04, 08:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Mordelicius
Major

Originally Posted by Deringer View Post
Last week on ReachCast we asked …

As always, respond here or e-mail us at [email protected] or call us at (415)787-3224!
This is an aside. Check out DCUO (another SOE game). PS3 + PS4 DCUO players outnumber PC players by a wide margin.
Old 2014-08-04, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
STOMPIE
Private

I have it on PC and for the life of me i cannot get the gist of using a keyboard and mouse after using a console controller for 5 years. A steep learning curve that is made expanentialy harder with everything else that has to be learnt in PS2. So I cant wait for PS2 on PS4.....My only concern now is the apparent bad ping on Briggs. Learning how the game works i think will come naturally, although the platoon, outfit "working together to achieve the objective" will be interesting. (there is a similar system in COD but on a much smaller scale)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion