Is there going to be a major storyline in this game ever? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: When you come here, you are now property of the Hamma.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-08-15, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
OpolE
Sergeant Major

Is there going to be a major storyline in this game ever?

I might have missed Core Combat or caught some other event once in PS1 but the patch was massive and at the time I remember as a kid and there was a bit of a story line with Osher splitting.

Does anyone see anything exciting happen or should we just keep on playing Call of Planetfield 2?

4000+ Hours of PS1

Last edited by OpolE; 2014-08-15 at 11:55 AM.
Old 2014-08-15, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Re: Is there going to be a major storyline in this game ever?

Story? In Planetside? And 2? Bzzt. Error. Does not compute.
Old 2014-08-16, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sarloh
Corporal

Hard to say. There isn't one planned and we have a lovely lore written for Planetside 2.

Come to think of it, Planetside is ran by players and the people in it so I wonder how would dungeons and quests work. Possibly say; kill 12 Vanu to get a new 50 page essay about the quest's story?
Old 2014-08-16, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
OpolE
Sergeant Major

Bring in a planet like Oshur that has a storm and another planet evolves. Or Make hossin go mental and spawn another planet FUCK KNOWS

4000+ Hours of PS1
Old 2014-08-19, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Figment
Lieutenant General

That's not story, that's filler to explain changing content.
Old 2014-08-21, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Space President KesTro here.

My fellow Auraxians, I would like to assure you that there is very much a story in motion on Auraxis. You can witness the brunt of the movement on the Connery sector of this galaxy. As you space president I vow to clean up the chemical spills on Amerish, develop Hossin into a nice suburban neighborhood. We will cease the drilling of space oil on Esamir and instead move to hydrogen powered machinery (Vanu approval pending).

It is worth mentioning that under my presidency every friday will be Mini Skirt friday*

*Effective to Vanu only.

KesTro 2016: A cleaner Auraxis!
Old 2014-08-21, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by Sarloh View Post
Hard to say. There isn't one planned and we have a lovely lore written for Planetside 2.

Come to think of it, Planetside is ran by players and the people in it so I wonder how would dungeons and quests work. Possibly say; kill 12 Vanu to get a new 50 page essay about the quest's story?
You don't need quests nor dungeons to convey a story though.

I would have loved this allready in PS1. Imagine faction specific sanctuaries with NPCs milling about from the lore of planetside, that you can ask about the lore or some general tips. Just like the main cities in WoW, in my short stay there i loved to hang around ironforge between battlegrounds, so immersive.
And the factions need iconic figureheads anyways, i have no idea who my boss in the vanu or tr is - hell i barely know why we are fighting in the first place - and i first started playing a planetside game in 2004. The whole mmo aspect beyond "shooting dudes", from immersion to social interaction, was allready paper thin in PS1 and in PS2 it is just totally and completely non existent.

This game has screamed for a hub area from day one, you can put all your tutorial and mess-around stuff there, players know where to meet up, it adds a shitton of immersion and you can use it to tell your story.

That is if you have a story...or an idea what you are about or what you want...beyond "hazcashshopisfreewereallyneedmoneyguyz"...

At this point i would allready be happy if they removed the stupid out of bounds areas though. That would be a phase one.
Old 2014-08-21, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Blynd
First Sergeant

That's kind of what ps1 had in the sanctuarys. But npc's no thanks and if you want to know why we are fighting read the lore section of these forums it has the official back story for ps2 in there.
Old 2014-08-22, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

I know all that story jizz, that wasn't my point. My point was that planetside allways sucked in conveying the setting and story...PS2 just sucks more at it.
Infact PS2 just flat out misses ANY form of context to the "shooting in the face" which is why i still hesitate to really call it a MMOfps.

And your grumbling "npcs not want. read story on usermade forums" really doesn't do the topic justice.
What does a bunch of figurehead npcs in sanctuaries hurt anyways? Right, it doesn't, all it would do is add atmosphere and context, which after engaging game mechanics are the two most lacking aspects of PS2.
I'm sorry, how can you possibly argue against a bunch of "lore" npcs standing around who wouldn't affect you in the slightest?
Old 2014-08-25, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Figment
Lieutenant General

The thing that throws people in a fit with NPCs is that they fear combative NPCs messing up PvP gameplay and interfering with squad gameplay through random deaths in an already inhospitable combat environment. Or otherwise chew up framerate and keep coders busy with less essential stuff.

But that isn't the kind of NPC proposed here...
Old 2014-08-25, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Absolutely not. What i was talking about here is basically an animated object that can be interacted with. Best comparison would be the big shots in WoW standing in the main cities.
They wouldn't do anything, but you could get game tips or some story background. And if that would impact the performance just delete one of the way-too-many terminals in the warpgates.
Old 2014-08-26, 05:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
ringring
Contributor
General

To be honest I'm struggling to understand why you need a storyline.
Old 2014-08-26, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
To be honest I'm struggling to understand why you need a storyline.
Oh come on. One of the things that sets apart PS from the competition is how nationalistic people get about their faction. A brief 'Why We Fight' video in each sanctuary -- if we HAD sanctuaries -- would be awesome.

They wouldn't even have to change that much from link related for the Terran Republic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTz9nIUkGc
Old 2014-08-26, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
Oh come on. One of the things that sets apart PS from the competition is how nationalistic people get about their faction. A brief 'Why We Fight' video in each sanctuary -- if we HAD sanctuaries -- would be awesome.

They wouldn't even have to change that much from link related for the Terran Republic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTz9nIUkGc
I never got partisan because of the storyline. I was partisan because I would be fighting alongside friends and colleagues.

The storyline was fiction whereas friends and colleague was reality.

And of course the annoyance of repeatedly bumping into X outfit from the other side who would try and often succeed in thwarting your plans.
Old 2014-08-26, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Maybe a menu which has vids and text of the lore. Surely that's possible.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion