What are your concerns about ps2? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: *in AMS* I believe i can fly!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-11, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Nausicaa
Private

What are your concerns about ps2?

All of us have them; things we have seen in the vids that sets our teeth on edge, while its still early days and things can definatly change, its worth writing them down for the devs to take note of, at least so they can provide feedback if nessesary to allay some of our fears.

Mine have to be:

Base cap wack-a-mole - you cap one point, they cap one, for me I'm worried that it'll take hours to take a base fully.

Tank drivers as gunners and the ease of getting a tank - this one is a biggie having the pilot accessing weapons that can oneshot infantry combined with the fact troops no longer have ready access to their own repair and med tools means that its a no brainer to grab a tank as even at its lowest level is a lot of firepower and protection when getting from point to point.

Bailing from ground vehicles; being able to instantly get out even at very low health means you are rarely going to be able to catch someone in a tank about to die provided they aren't retarded/afk.

It gets worse if the guy is in rexo, as he can pop out with his av weapon and finish off your vehicle/max like mat did in his latest vid, this is a pain that anyone who has used AA against reavers and mossies felt in ps1 at some point; you cant help but feel a little cheated if you have took something to near death and suddenly the pilot pops out for his 'second life'.

Rexo armor shouldn't be able to pilot tanks/heavy vehicles much in the way they cannot in ps1.

I'm hoping that the per person limited resources will be such that it will stop people being able to spam heavy vehicles without consequence.

What are other people's concerns from what they have seen so far?
Old 2012-07-11, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

Re: What are your concerns about ps2?

The forever fight over 1 base because of unlimited NTU.

Never changing frontlines.

Each map feeling like an instance (with its own sanctuary).

Not enough nudity in the character skins.

Last edited by fvdham; 2012-07-11 at 08:45 AM.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Oryon22
First Sergeant

It's not my intention to compare BF3 to PS2, but I despise the amount of engineers tooling around in BF3. I certainly hope that it doesn't happen with PS2. PS2's engineer sounds like a blast because of the utility they possess, but I'm concerned that's all I'll see.

Old 2012-07-11, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Karrade
First Sergeant

I liked alot about the vids, but in order of eye twitchingness

1, Some places are pointless to defend. Why stay in them to defend if attack is much more effective. Sounds good on some levels, but it also means you'll have people just shifting around to more effective/easier fights.

Suggestions to encourage a good fight around one base:
A) Heavier CE Walls/PillBoxes/Wire/Traps/Fortifications that can be built. B) The base increases shield/walls/turrets - its own defenses if people PAY resources into it. Nice resource Sink too.

2, Squad Leader Spawn anywhere, roofs, behind defenses, next to the cap point, etc. Makes point 1 all the more highlighted in its present implementation. - It's simply too powerful and rewards attacking above and beyond the open layouts which already reward it.

3, Jumping out of vehicles with AV equipped - Just cheap tactics, making 2x solo play more powerful than a heavy tank/aircraft etc. Why have one vehicle, when you can have two who can flank you (rear armor is more vulnerable), that can carry on the fight even when they no longer have a tank, and immediately so! Also shooting planes down with AV when you bail just seems meh - I wish I had a better way of putting it, how about: not entertaining for pilots who like to dogfight

4, The UI spam needs to be configurable, transparency/size etc.

5, The main battletanks seem too weak, hopefully certs give the armor some hardiness. As with more players than the videos have, you'll last about 5 seconds, it was already quite flimsy in the vids.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-07-11 at 08:43 AM.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
regisp
Private

Originally Posted by Oryon22 View Post
It's not my intention to compare BF3 to PS2, but I despise the amount of engineers tooling around in BF3. I certainly hope that it doesn't happen with PS2. PS2's engineer sounds like a blast because of the utility they possess, but I'm concerned that's all I'll see.
I do believe this will happen, but I think people will realize how useless they are if it is just a group of them.

I feel as if there will be a community that isn't gonna be as strong as originally thought. But I feel that will work itself out eventually, so all is well!
Old 2012-07-11, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

1) meatgrinders replacing any/all strategy

2) vehicle bailing at last minute to avoid death - it should be a channeled action, so that it takes 1 second instead of instantly

3) Lag, seeing some jitter in the E3 footage with what they admit is a fraction of what we should be seeing

4) trolls, Free 2 Play will attract trolls and griefers like moths to a flame

5) Drop-Pods getting out of hand if there is no limitation on where they can drop down- furthering the meatgrinder problem

6) I wont have enough time to play it, I was in love with the first one, and hope to fall in love again with the sequel.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

@Oryon22
It's inevitable that 1 class will be the most common one.
I think in PS1 the heavy assault was the most common.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
All of us have them; things we have seen in the vids that sets our teeth on edge, while its still early days and things can definatly change, its worth writing them down for the devs to take note of, at least so they can provide feedback if nessesary to allay some of our fears.

Mine have to be:

Base cap wack-a-mole - you cap one point, they cap one, for me I'm worried that it'll take hours to take a base fully.

I'm not concerned with this. In PS it could take a few minutes to hours to cap a base, just depends on what is going on. I want epic base fights.

Tank drivers as gunners and the ease of getting a tank - this one is a biggie having the pilot accessing weapons that can oneshot infantry combined with the fact troops no longer have ready access to their own repair and med tools means that its a no brainer to grab a tank as even at its lowest level is a lot of firepower and protection when getting from point to point.

What is the problem here? In PS the vanguard and prowler could one shot infrantry no problem. Tanks in PS2 do have that capability however they are weaker verse their PS counterparts in terms of staying power. Who cares if infantry can't really self heal? They would be dead in one shot anyway. Sounds like there is a lot more in terms of AV weapons also.

Bailing from ground vehicles; being able to instantly get out even at very low health means you are rarely going to be able to catch someone in a tank about to die provided they aren't retarded/afk.

I can see this being annoying.

It gets worse if the guy is in rexo, as he can pop out with his av weapon and finish off your vehicle/max like mat did in his latest vid, this is a pain that anyone who has used AA against reavers and mossies felt in ps1 at some point; you cant help but feel a little cheated if you have took something to near death and suddenly the pilot pops out for his 'second life'.

Rexo armor shouldn't be able to pilot tanks/heavy vehicles much in the way they cannot in ps1.

With classes being the way they are now. I think its perfectly fine for the heavy assault class to be able to pilot. Why should someone who is far spec'd out in heavy assault be forced out of his class when he is going A to B? I wouldn't want to be forced to use a class I dislike due to transportation.

I'm hoping that the per person limited resources will be such that it will stop people being able to spam heavy vehicles without consequence.

I don't think people are either going to get to the point of having too much points or too low. They probably will have to be wise with their points, but I don't see it being a life or death decision about bringing one out every time.

What are other people's concerns from what they have seen so far?
I do have a few annoyances with this game. Not enough to voice them on the forum though. I'm still actually waiting to get in the game before waving my hands up in the air saying omg this doesn't work. I'm not saying others shouldn't of course, I just don't want to go into the game with bad/misconceived notions.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Karrade
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I do have a few annoyances with this game. Not enough to voice them on the forum though. I'm still actually waiting to get in the game before waving my hands up in the air saying omg this doesn't work. I'm not saying others shouldn't of course, I just don't want to go into the game with bad/misconceived notions.
I used to think like this.

These days I take every moment as the first. This is what I have to work with now, and what feedback I have now (to try and help).

When I am in the game I'll have different feedback.

-edit
Personally I like dual threads, what do you like, what do you dislike so far.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-07-11 at 08:53 AM.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

Only concern I might have is that the servers may not always be close to their peak of 2000 players/server online at the same time which would suck. Dont know a good work-around but hopefully they know what to do to keep the servers almost full most of the time.

Originally Posted by PlaceboCyanide View Post
2) vehicle bailing at last minute to avoid death - it should be a channeled action, so that it takes 1 second instead of instantly
4) trolls, Free 2 Play will attract trolls and griefers like moths to a flame
I also have those two concerns.

Last edited by HeatLegend; 2012-07-11 at 08:59 AM.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Baron
First Sergeant

Mine are pretty similar to those above:

1) HA driving vehicles (not open aired vehicles such as the Quad)
2) Instant enter/exit
3) No real restriction (at least what we've seen) on drop pod decent location
4) Vehicles dying too quickly / not enough staying power
5) MAXes dying too quickly
6) Drivers as gunners for MBT
7) Not too sure about the difficulty of defending bases yet. The one we saw from Higby seemed very difficult since it was so spacious however there is variety in base layouts. Higby might have just been at one of the hardest.

Last edited by Baron; 2012-07-11 at 08:56 AM.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Satexios
Sergeant

My concern is... will PS2 run on my pc... lol
Old 2012-07-11, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sifer2
Major

I don't think there will be Engineer spam. Despite the general opinion of some people on this board thinking Heavy Assualt will be useless I think it will be by far the most common on the field. They are the only one's with AV weapons last I heard. And have a temporary boost shield that once people get good at using everyone is going to want it. The only other spammed class will probably be Infiltrator Snipers.

As for my concerns I share the feeling that the ease of pulling any vehicle, fast in/out teleport an seat switch is really going to change the game. In the original people eventually starting using Mossies as transportation once certs got inflated. But in this that seems like it will be a fad on day 1. And the Tanks look hilariously overpowered at the moment. Turret one shots most anything, and if aircraft is coming just instant seat switch to AA turret an shred it. It really is a BFR at the moment. Not to mention the whole bail out at the last moment cheese that is possible too.

I also feel that a lot of their design changes to make the pace faster are probably just going to hurt gameplay. I think they should have started by making it closer to PS1, and seeing how well it worked with the huge active playerbase that Free 2 Play will bring. Rather than doing all these desperate changes like static footholds on the continents. The gunplay also looks way too spray n pray at the moment. The E3 build was especially bad since it was basically who ever got the lucky sprayed headshot first won. Making the game play like BF3 or COD is not a plus to me.
Old 2012-07-11, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

The only thing im worried about is persistence, or the lack of. The 3 continents aren't really linked in any way. I feel that taking bases won't mean anything.

I'm actually looking forward to the gunplay being more like BF3. The gunplay in Planetside is terribly outdated.
Old 2012-07-11, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

I'm not concerned about single specific gameplay elements too much (although with some of them I'm wary about what we've heard/seen). What I am concerned about is big, overarching things:

- griefers and cheaters

- danger of underestimating speed of character progression, and not thinking through gameplay ramifications for when everyone is "BR40/CR5"

- danger of not very interesting meta strategy gameplay
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion