Have they made the weapons fun like Planetside yet? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stock up and save. Limit: one
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2015-06-22, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILoHOMER
Major

Have they made the weapons fun like Planetside yet?

Just checking in as I haven't played since early 2013.

I hated how every weapons was boring and essentially the same in it's own class, hell even the shotguns were like rifles in the way they looked and sounded. What happened to the rocket and grenade launchers? All the amazing HA weapons and the crazy UT like stuff Planetside had?

The worst thing for me was the HA and how they just turned them into every other generic weapon. Why did the MCG become like a rifle with spin up time? They said it's because you couldn't take cover, but who uses a MCG to take cover? You want to run and gun and put loads of bullets into people.

Is it still the same game?

+ Are the bases still crap? Like they're massive, but they have next to no indoor plan and it just becomes about camping them from the outside with vehicles. As a result no one defended and just went somewhere else.

Thanx.
Old 2015-06-23, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Mordelicius
Major

Re: Have they made the weapons fun like Planetside yet?

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Just checking in as I haven't played since early 2013.

I hated how every weapons was boring and essentially the same in it's own class, hell even the shotguns were like rifles in the way they looked and sounded. What happened to the rocket and grenade launchers? All the amazing HA weapons and the crazy UT like stuff Planetside had?

The worst thing for me was the HA and how they just turned them into every other generic weapon. Why did the MCG become like a rifle with spin up time? They said it's because you couldn't take cover, but who uses a MCG to take cover? You want to run and gun and put loads of bullets into people.

Is it still the same game?

+ Are the bases still crap? Like they're massive, but they have next to no indoor plan and it just becomes about camping them from the outside with vehicles. As a result no one defended and just went somewhere else.

Thanx.
Last year, I remember them talking about adding new weapon functions. What I gather is the 'tech' is not implemented yet, hence (for example) the Max flamethrower update was postponed.

Also, that is the reason why weapons like PPA (rocket/missille/projectile or something to that effect) has a flat damage (no damage falloff; hence harder to balance/implement).

I'm not really sure what happened to that since the transition from SOE to DBG. Remember the max prototype weapon that explodes on the ground? I believe that is part of that 'tech'.

They have a new weapon though. Basically a max-buster engineer rifle, I saw it on the test server (but I think it's already on live server; I also haven't logged in since early January this year and not again until they fix the systemic deficiency in the gameflow). But some things they've been adding to alleviate some problems:

Cloaked Sunderer
Spawn Inhibitor Sunderer (wip or on-hold)
New Spawn Rules
New Spawn Beacon Rules
They are also reining-in some of BS VS weapon like 0.75x Orion (still nothing on the 600m-800m range Lancers).

For the weapons. Personally, I've been asking for:
- DoT tipped X-bow (good vs solo Maxes).
- AOE explosive DoT tipped X-bow (crowd control).

Because, if they make this a regular gun, it will be too OP.

As for the bases, read the PS2 2.0 thread. They are supposed to overhaul the whole maps. That includes (resources, base value, and maybe lattice and capture system).

There's still no further news on it though. Instead, they are focused/bogged down by more unnecessary/harmful tangent like the new instanced Gamemode .
Old 2015-06-24, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

no. probably never will.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2015-06-25, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mordelicius
Major

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
no. probably never will.
Maybe ask the Devs if they still remember those 'tech'. I'm sure it was in one of last year's stream.
Old 2015-06-25, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by Mordelicius View Post

There's still no further news on it though. Instead, they are focused/bogged down by more unnecessary/harmful tangent like the new instanced Gamemode .

I saw this part and suddenly became really uninterested with Planetside 2 again.

I've just played it again....

1. Wow the UI is a cluster fuck.
2. The controls aren't intuitive at all and there are no obvious visual cues to tell you them... maybe they're there but the UI is so messy.
3. I cannot tell when I'm taking damage very easily, it feels like Max Payne 3 where suddenly I'm dead.
4. The movement is all floaty.
5. The guns feel floaty and weak and the default sensitivity is way too high.

They need to do something about the weight, you can have fast flowing combat like UT or Quake and still have a good feeling of weight. I guess a thousand hours of CS:GO and TF2 will do that to you, I just couldn't imagine playing Planetside 2 any more even if they did fix my original gripes in this thread.

Last edited by EVILoHOMER; 2015-06-25 at 08:36 AM.
Old 2015-06-27, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
EVILoHOMER
Major

What happened to the Health/shield bars in the bottom right? I want those back, what they have currently sucks. The whole UI now sucks on the whole, way worse than what it used to be and they've slapped loads more "BUY THIS" crap everywhere.

Whats with the ammo indicators on the screen as well? I don't get that, they look ugly and get in the way.

Last edited by EVILoHOMER; 2015-06-27 at 05:17 AM.
Old 2015-06-27, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
What happened to the Health/shield bars in the bottom right? I want those back, what they have currently sucks. The whole UI now sucks on the whole, way worse than what it used to be and they've slapped loads more "BUY THIS" crap everywhere.

Whats with the ammo indicators on the screen as well? I don't get that, they look ugly and get in the way.
just untick centralised HUD option in game

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion