News: Squad Beacon March 2nd Recording - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No humans here, just meat popsicles.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-03-04, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Squad Beacon March 2nd Recording

It was great having LevelCap on he has a unique perspective on the game I think. I definitely would not term him as casual though.

And thanks Pella, honestly the new YouTube layout makes it hard to see the entire description.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-04, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I have no ill will to LevelCap, other than he tends to project his concerns as if he is a "Casual Player". Which is not even in the galaxy of true.

I'm not sure if its because, with good reason, the opinions of a soloist do not really jive in a team focused game.

The Game is already Casual friendly, many more times over than the original, or even other games in its genre. However, unlike many session based FPS, you are not a hero, you are not Rambo. You are a solider that's part of a team, that TEAM is the hero. That's the part he has a problem with.
Old 2013-03-04, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
People stuck around right until the end
Indeed we did and bloody late it was when my head finally hit my keyboard. Personally I don't mind staying up for the chat alone, something that we sadly won't get from a youtube recording.
Hopefully the devs will continue to be this active on AGN.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-03-04, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Hamma
PSU Admin

Aye was great to have them around! Perhaps we will do a 2PM Central show next time.

Old 2013-03-04, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Depends on whether or not it would fit them, and the panel, really, if you guys can get them to join in. While it would be nice to have something earlier I would rather have it be later and better, with dev activity.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-03-04, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Not really a balanced panel, that's unfortunate. At times I got the feeling I was watching a PS1 insider show. There must be sure outfit leaders out there who are new to the game.
People suggest features they've seen used successfully in games they've played before. Many successful outfit leaders came from PS1 and have years of experience there. We had several such outfit leaders on the AGN this time.

I'd think that even if you had an outfit leader that made his/her outfit shine solely in PS2, never having played PS1, that player would still suggest features from other games he/she has played, whether that's Battlefield, Call of Duty, Quake, Unreal Tournament, or a anything else. Such is experience. If we see something that we think might work, we'll call it out. Anyone is going to do this.

So you're going to have a few things pop up:

1) Suggestion from PS1

2) Suggestion from any other FPS (or in some cases other genres) on the market

3) Suggestion from a player that hasn't played any other FPS but then therefore doesn't know if what he's suggesting is already in another game

4) Suggestion from a player that has extended FPS experience from several games including PS1/PS2 and makes what he thinks/hopes is an original suggestion (but may end up not being one). Or, that player, having played different FPSes, makes a knowledgeable suggestion to implement a feature he/she has seen in one of the other FPSes he/she has experience with. Back to square one.
Old 2013-03-04, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
I have no ill will to LevelCap, other than he tends to project his concerns as if he is a "Casual Player". Which is not even in the galaxy of true.

I'm not sure if its because, with good reason, the opinions of a soloist do not really jive in a team focused game.

The Game is already Casual friendly, many more times over than the original, or even other games in its genre. However, unlike many session based FPS, you are not a hero, you are not Rambo. You are a solider that's part of a team, that TEAM is the hero. That's the part he has a problem with.
I beg to differ, most of the time I am the hero always in the right place at the right time throwing my res grenade to save the day or killing multiple enemies to hold on to the point just long enough to flip it before dying, that being said its never just me I can always count on the rest of BWC to back me up or pick up were I fell short.
Old 2013-03-04, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Chinchy View Post
I beg to differ, most of the time I am the hero always in the right place at the right time throwing my res grenade to save the day or killing multiple enemies to hold on to the point just long enough to flip it before dying, that being said its never just me I can always count on the rest of BWC to back me up or pick up were I fell short.
You don't differ.
Old 2013-03-04, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Haro
Master Sergeant

I do think there is a lot of good ideas to come from [REDACTED]side 1 (kidding, Hamma) but I also think that people don't give enough credit to the devs and all the great work that's gone into this game. Not that people don't appreciate it, I think that we just get caught up in criticism and improving the game (which is good) but we don't sit back and look at the huge improvements that have gone on.

For example, I don't think there is much doubt that in terms of fundamental combat and broader appeal, PS 2 has really shined, and when the rough edges get smoothed down (regrettably its taken this long to get to that point) I think it will succeed in ways that the original couldn't aspire to. And I'll admit, the game has long term issues and needs more depth, but I think it's easier to add these onto a game with a sturdy foundation, rather than having a deep but shaky game from the start, which is how I sometimes felt about Planetside.
Old 2013-03-04, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

As for reducing the length, perhaps we can have the show multiple times a month, rather than every few months. There was just a ton to talk about, that if we split it into multiple weeks we can actually have a short and sweet show.

I don't know if you watch JoinDota's TalkDota or jp's State of the Game, but they do similar things (talk weekly, keep it to recent news and the like).
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-03-04, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Luperza
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Was a good show.

Note: All my posts are mine and mine alone. They have not been reviewed or approved by Sony Online Entertainment (“SOE”), and they do not necessarily reflect or express the views of SOE itself.
Old 2013-03-04, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

ricoxg's comments on the class system of everybody having access to everything was spot on.

So was LCs on Infantry cover, although on that front it looks like positive changes are slowly coming into the game. Canopy!
Old 2013-03-05, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
I'd think that even if you had an outfit leader that made his/her outfit shine solely in PS2, never having played PS1, that player would still suggest features from other games he/she has played, whether that's Battlefield, Call of Duty, Quake, Unreal Tournament, or a anything else.
Can't argue with that but if you see the show dominated with examples/references from only one game, PS1, it becomes less easier to follow for the other people and more of an insider show.
That's also what I liked about LevelCap being part of this show. Although I don't always agree with his ideas, he brings in a different perspective and like him, I'm actually very curious about the solo/non-outfit percentage of the actual player base.

As for other suggestions for improvement, better preparation of the participants on the discussion topics would be nice. If you know that the road map will be a talking subject, it almost feels like an insult to the viewers if you didn't bother taking a recent look at it in preparation for the discussion.
Old 2013-03-05, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Hamma
PSU Admin

Most of the topics were available well ahead of time.

Old 2013-03-06, 02:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Luperza View Post
Was a good show.
^this^

Great chemistry and comedy between the panelists made this really enjoyable to watch.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion