Inventory and Resupply (Dropping Ammo) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: SPEAD THE GOD DAMN LOVE YOU FOOKING PANSY!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-09, 03:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Inventory and Resupply (Dropping Ammo)

Originally Posted by Sabrak View Post
I don't like the ammo pack...

It's too BFesque.

It was fun in Planetside to have to pay attention to your ammo, and to organise your behind enemy lines moves to make sure you'd have a way to get supplies when needed.

That feeling one had when, during a long skirmish behind enemy lines, you realised that you've wasted too much ammo to kill some guys and that you're going to run out soon...
You knew you were screwed, you might even have been mad at yourself, but that was a Planetside moment. You usually only find that kind of things in (good) survival games.

Now all it takes is a light assault guy, and maybe a cert unlocked, and you can have easy ammo boxes for at least some time. Meh.
You could carry more than enough ammo that that rarely ever happened.
Old 2012-03-09, 03:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Now all it takes is a light assault guy, and maybe a cert unlocked, and you can have easy ammo boxes for at least some time. Meh.
that doesnt mean there will be a (light/heavy) assault guy around every corner giving out ammo, especially when the ammo pack takes up a slot, so you have to drop something else.
and the game has to have some sort of resupply mechanic, cause making players suicide when they are out of ammo doesnt make for a fun game, neither does running back to a resupply point that might be a long ways away.
they just need to ballance it correctly so that 1 ammo pack does not mean infinite ammo

idea: make the ammo pack only replenish at max half of the original amount of total ammo, this would mean the ammo pack would need to be positioned in the right spot and it would increase the need for an actual ammo carrier ( considering an ammo pack only has X amount of ammo in it )
i think this would bring some extra tactical options to the leaders, another thing to take into account when assaulting a base

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-09 at 03:45 AM.
Old 2012-03-09, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You could carry more than enough ammo that that rarely ever happened.
Depends on what you were playing as.
Old 2012-03-09, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
that doesnt mean there will be a (light/heavy) assault guy around every corner giving out ammo, especially when the ammo pack takes up a slot, so you have to drop something else.
Just look at BF.
Assault guys and ammo boxes are everywhere.

Yes, maps are way smaller so you find them more easily, but there will be ten times more players in PS2.

Anyway, we'll see how it plays out, but I still do believe that in a game like PS2, where organisation and logistics are supposed to be a key to victory, ammo boxes don't fit.

(oops, should have edited my last message instead of posting a new one. Sorry)
Old 2012-03-09, 03:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

that doesnt mean there will be a (light/heavy) assault guy around every corner giving out ammo

and the game has to have some sort of resupply mechanic
Any organised squad is going to have at least one of every useful ability/class.

PS1 resupply was hacking a terminal at the base you were at or run to the nearest AMS.

Now you don't have to move, just drop a box.
Old 2012-03-09, 03:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Just look at BF.
Assault guys and ammo boxes are everywhere.

Yes, maps are way smaller so you find them more easily, but there will be ten times more players in PS2.

Anyway, we'll see how it plays out, but I still do believe that in a game like PS2, where organisation and logistics are supposed to be a key to victory, ammo boxes don't fit.

(oops, should have edited my last message instead of posting a new one. Sorry)
i'm sorry but isnt ammo (re)supply a perfect example of battlefield logistics?
i'm not saying ps2 needs to have the bf3 resupply system, i just think it needs some sort of resupply system.
and an ammo pack is not exactly a "unrealistic" option

i can clearly remember suiciding lots of times when out of ammo when on the front line just because the AMS/tower was to far away. in 2003 this was ok, but i think in a modern shooter its just wrong, you should never have to kill yourself because you are out of ammo.
in my mind if you have to suicide for any reason it shows there is a problem somewhere, design or gameplay wise

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-09 at 03:57 AM.
Old 2012-03-09, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

i'm sorry but isnt ammo (re)supply a perfect example of battlefield logistics?
Most modern shooters are glorified Team Deathmatches.

Yes, but why should you be able to resupply yourself without having to move anywhere, whilst in enemy territory, surrounded by an enemy force several times yours? Surely there should be some 'difficulty' modifier in where and what you attempt to do rather than oh-you're-behind-enemy-lines-the-hold-timer-is-15-minutes-instead-of-5.

Being able to resupply yourself anytime/anywhere effectively makes where you fight irrelevent, be it 5 regions behind enemy lines or right outside your safe zone.
Old 2012-03-09, 04:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Won't pulsars have regenerating ammo? If yes, I'll just play VS.

I like the PS1 need to loot corpses. it's more satisfying that way. Nanites are a cool excuse to not worry about materiel like mozzies costing millions of dollars and being used as a taxi and then junked but I don't want them to become an excuse for EVERYTHING.

just a random thought... how about some nanites regenning a few rounds here and there up to a maximum of half a clip? (Does anybody remember "Operation Wolf" from the arcades?)
Old 2012-03-09, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
CutterJohn
Colonel

My vote is no ammo box. Instead you use nanites to convert a corpse into an ammo dispenser.

Also, this should be an engineer ability, not one of the combat classes.
Old 2012-03-09, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bobby Shaftoe View Post
Most modern shooters are glorified Team Deathmatches.

Yes, but why should you be able to resupply yourself without having to move anywhere, whilst in enemy territory, surrounded by an enemy force several times yours? Surely there should be some 'difficulty' modifier in where and what you attempt to do rather than oh-you're-behind-enemy-lines-the-hold-timer-is-15-minutes-instead-of-5.

Being able to resupply yourself anytime/anywhere effectively makes where you fight irrelevent, be it 5 regions behind enemy lines or right outside your safe zone.
but if the amount of packs you have is limited, or you can only drop one every X minutes would mean that the placement of that ammopack is important to, since if you drop the pack behind some cover you are about to lose then the pack is wasted.
it all depends on the way they implement the ammo packs, since i think that the idea that ammo packs are bad period is silly, they should just be a little creative with it and make it fit into the planetside universe

i think that taking ammo from enemys is more out of place then an ammo pack since ammo is different for different guns, so picking up some ammo for your smg from a vanu soldier wielding a lasher is just ridiculous.
so if i would want some smg ammo i would need to look for the dude with the smg and try to shoot him or run between random bodies hoping one of them was using the ammo i need.
this would still enforce suiciding for more ammo and suiciding for ammo is a design flaw if you ask me

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-09 at 05:03 AM.
Old 2012-03-09, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

i think that taking ammo from enemys is more out of place then an ammo pack since ammo is different for different guns, so picking up some ammo for your smg from a vanu soldier is just ridiculous
Thats why you could take their weapon and anything else in their inventory and use it if you ran out of your own ammo/equipment.

Looting backpacks was a major source of equipment for some playstyles, glue, med juice!!!, med packs, ammo, weapons, ACEs + Grenades. Kill the enemy, steal their stuff and you can last a little longer.

Even a swap kit option isn't very good because you're using the kit you are for a reason, I don't want to swap everything else I have because my gun has no ammo.

Now it's just, die, get revived(recharging ability no doubt), drop ammo carry on.
Old 2012-03-09, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
megamold
Second Lieutenant

looting packs was good fun at times, but i dont think its something i will miss all that much

and you make it sound like anyone can have an ammo pack, if i make the comparison with bf3 then i would have to conclude the ammo pack is something that usually in abundance when i dont need it and something thats nowhere to be found when im out of ammo
Old 2012-03-09, 05:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Just limit ammo packs to 1 or 2. Another thing Project Reality gets right.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-09, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
One thing that confuses me... how often did you run out of ammo in Ps1? I seldom did.
In spec ops and gen holds all the time even with maxes using 50% of their inventory to carry spare.

I had similar concerns when i saw the magically ammo box but i'm waiting to try it as a lot of our planetside gameplay may yet not transfer to ps2.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-03-09, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Graywolves
General

http://imgur.com/4t6iI

ftfy
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion