Ancient Games And So Forth - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: for when masturbations lost it's fun.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2013-04-08, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

Ancient Games And So Forth

So there I was. Upset with Planetside 2 for all the annoying crap I'd put up with, and honestly kinda burned out from playing the same game for a good 3 and a half months straight.

Needed something different...

So what do I do?

I make a list of 30ish computer-based RPGs to roll through, then I arrange them in order by release date.

First one on the list?

The Elder Scrolls: Arena.

The game that started it all... holy crap.
Considering it was made in 1994, I am somewhat impressed. Truthfully, Doom had better graphics, but I doubt the devs had much time to examine Doom before they came out with this intriguing game.

It certainly tells a tale of a bygone era of gaming... an era where a player might want to keep a notebook handy to jot down clues with a real pen.

I have only just started the game, but am already finding it rather fascinating and look forward to reforging the Staff of Chaos to free the Emperor.

Anyone else got any archaic games they love and wish to share?
Old 2013-04-09, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Ancient Games And So Forth

Well there's obviously the LucasArts games of old. I do love me some Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle, Sam&Max.
Then there are the always fun games like Dogs of War, Chaos Engine, Kings Quest series, Roger Wilco series.. God damn death scenes:/

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-04-09, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Assist
Contributor
Major

Monkey Island and Loom ftw!

I just picked up the gog.com 10 pack of DnD RPG's. Who knows when I'll get around to playing them, but for $21 I could justify buying them, even if I have played 6/10 of them :P
Old 2013-04-09, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Jedi Academy and Jedi Knight are both open source now.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-04-19, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

Closest thing to Jedi Knight on my list is KotOR and KotOR 2.

I was doing all right in Arena as a spellsword. Then... THEN... I got to the part 1 dungeon for the second piece of the staff.

I HATE ICE GOLEMS.

And then I read up and discover the damn things can only be hurt by magic and elven blades... but the only elven blade I can find is a war axe that requires me to de-equip my shield... which means I die faster... and the suckers have insane amounts of HP anyway and hit like bricks (of ice).

Restarting the game as a knight now. Hopefully the heavier armor will enable me to survive longer, even if I don't get any Super Spells of Doom... truthfully I wasn't terribly impressed by spellsword spellcasting in the first place. More martial classes are probably better for this first-person RPG crap anyway.

In case anyone cares or wishes to comment on my gaming selections, I am planning to play...

Elder Scrolls: Arena
Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Fallout
Fallout 2
Baldur's Gate
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn... and whatever that expansion is called.
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights
Icewind Dale II
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Neverwinter Nights II
Knights of the Old Republic
Jade Empire
Knights of the Old Republic II
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fallout III
Mass Effect
Fallout: New Vegas
Mass Effect II
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Mass Effect III

...kinda 50/50 on playing Dragon Age: Origins at this point. I heard the sequel kinda sucked, and this is making me second-guess whether I want to bother with the first game in the first place. Not to mention lol-EA-lol-Origin-lol

edit: forgot kotor somehow.

Last edited by Neutral Calypso; 2013-04-19 at 06:21 PM.
Old 2013-04-19, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Wing Commander

Old 2013-04-20, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Juryrig
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Neutral Calypso View Post
...kinda 50/50 on playing Dragon Age: Origins at this point. I heard the sequel kinda sucked, and this is making me second-guess whether I want to bother with the first game in the first place. Not to mention lol-EA-lol-Origin-lol
I sunk hours and hours into DA:O, and couldn't get past the tutorial of DA2 - very, very different feel to combat in the two games. I HATED DA2 with a passion.

If you like Baldur's gate, I'd say definitely try DA:O. You might not like it, but you can't judge it based on the response to DA2

I keep planning an epic, end to end playthrough of Baldur's gate (using the Trinity mod), NWN, NWN2 then DA:O, but when I try it I find nostalgia has caused me to mentally edit out the bits of all those games that frustrated me....
Old 2013-04-22, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

Hahaha, gotta love those nostalgia goggles.

There was a bug in Baldur's Gate that could screw me up. If it raises its ugly head, I'll have to download the enhanced version off Steam on the off chance they fixed that. A really stupid sidequest that you HAVE to complete because it is to find an antidote to some poison an asshole assassin slips in your food at an inn.

...and it is bugged so if you don't do everything -perfectly- it won't let you finish it.

...which means if you don't do it -perfectly- you are gonna die irregardless.

GG
Old 2013-06-24, 01:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by Neutral Calypso View Post
Anyone else got any archaic games they love and wish to share?
Too fucking many:

http://www.myabandonware.com/

Old 2013-06-24, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Crator
Major General

Keef the Thief
Old 2013-06-27, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Shogun
Contributor
General

aside from planetside 1, the best games i ever played (and sometimes like to reinstalland play again) are:

dungeon keeper 2
star control 2
the monkey island games
the wing commander series

and the best thing is, that starcontrol 2 is open source now, and available in a modern os version (google urquan masters), and the creator of wing commander is working on a new incarnation named star citizen, that is the most successful crowd funding project EVER.

and since monkey island got the remade special editions, only dungeon keeper needs a lovely remake! this similar dungeons game from a few years ago just didn´t do the job right.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-07-29, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

I could list a LOT of games. But from the top of my head I'm going to bring up Battlezone 2. It has a 1st/3rd person perspective yet allows you to build bases and place bunkers. It would be interesting it PS2 had the ability to place bunkers like that. I can imagine it being an engineer only special ability. Perhaps only able to be placed in your factions territory.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion