News: PAX Future of Online Games Panel - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because smoking kills
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-08, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
PAX Future of Online Games Panel

Edit:

Full Video:

There appears to be some PS2 in it as well. Havent got a chance yet to view it.

Last edited by Hamma; 2012-04-09 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added Full Video
Old 2012-04-08, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

PS2 parts? Anyone know? Not enough time to watch all of them right now.

EDIT: Well now I apparently do. Gonna go through this bit by bit, only the questions I'm interested in though. Good seat layout for Higby there being on the end, first and last things that are said/done are always the most memorable, so he's in the right place to be one of the most memorable.

First: Free 2 play versus pay to play, the answer was a lot of positivity about free 2 play but the big thing that struck me from one of the answerers (not sure who) was BOTH.

I think that would REALLY work, I have a new thought on what I want the payment model to be. Give us both a subscription and a f2p model. I know this idea is already being batted around here but the suggestion is a bit of extra SOE bucks along with it. Instead, why not just set it up so that subscription players get EVERYTHING that's not unlockable through gameplay, they can have any visual enhancements they like but don't get all the sidegrades that will be unlockable through gameplay. This gives people the complete choice of customisation, obviously they can still choose to buy those sidegrades but they're going to be unlockable through gameplay so really there's no need to. This to me would be absolutely perfectly and exactly what I'd choose to go for if it were an option, my loyal subscription and the guarantee of my money monthly. If someone chooses to remove their subscription then they simply don't get NEW visual content added to the game, which will undoubtedly be frequent as per other f2p models. I'm sure the math heads can work out what would be best here based on average purchases and work out the perfect subscription cost for this to be (on average) a good thing for the business.

Second: Everything is an mmo shooter now, why? What's the turning point that's caused that?

MMO games have done a good job of creating communities but a pretty bad job of creating competition. They're trying to move towards much more competitive online mmo games now.

Secondary answer - the players, they're dictating what the companies are choosing to do. [I]If I were to speculate on that, I'd say it's because FPS games these days have become a massive industry, propagated first by Halo's immense success and followed up by cods success and more recently Battlefield's, I'd speculate is because businesses are going where the money is, and right now there's big money in the FPS genre and more companies want a share of that pot.

Hmm, that's really it, much fewer interesting questions than I was personally interested in. Too many very long answers that all said the same thing as one another, I know they want the speech time but they don't need to repeat what others have said so many times. I feel like it would have been much better if the speakers were much more concise and considerate of time. More questions. The difficult vs marketing one, while a potentially interesting discussion, was the same answer over and over, arguing that both are good, both combined are good, both alone are good, everyone has different tastes, yet they all dragged on a very long time regarding it, barring Higgles, it just wasn't that necessary and chewed up time. Oh well.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com

Last edited by Skitrel; 2012-04-08 at 06:56 PM.
Old 2012-04-08, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Owalpo

Re: Pax Future of MMO Panel

Higby talks a little about it, crowd loves it. Guild War 2 guy kinda gives Higby and PS2 a nudge as he stated "GW2 will make you play with people and not just along side people." That was said after Higby was told to give a summary of the game.

No new info or anything like that.

Last edited by Owalpo; 2012-04-08 at 05:33 PM.
Old 2012-04-08, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

There was some parts on PS2. Nothing major more general stuff that is known. There was was general questions answered by Higby. Was a good show too. The Defiance game that was another shooter was just so lacking I think.
Old 2012-04-08, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Stardouser
Colonel

From what I've heard, GW2 castrates MMORPG PVP and turns it into a consensual warfront thing. For me that's a bad thing, you need to be able to attack enemies on your own server.

World of Tanks is an MMO shooter? Two things on that:
1. It's tanks only. I think that if an MMO shooter only has one "mode", in this case, ground vehicles, that has to be considered as a shortcoming. Integrated battlefield>single mode.
2. I haven't played it, but apparently it's deathmatch style, with 30 player maximum at any time? How is that an MMO?

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-08 at 06:44 PM.
Old 2012-04-08, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Aractain
Major

GW2 PVP (World Vs World) is very similar to Planetside. Open world ganking is not good gameplay.
Old 2012-04-08, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
GW2 PVP (World Vs World) is very similar to Planetside. Open world ganking is not good gameplay.
Yes, it is. You need to be ready to be attacked whenever an attack comes. Lack of open world pvp is a lot worse than any shooter casualization. If I want to play consensual only PvP, I'll play a shooter.

UNDERSTAND, though, that the real problem is this: To the best of my knowledge, they won't even be providing optional PvP servers. Everquest, for example, in its golden era, had a shitload of non-pvp servers and 3 PvP servers. That's how it should be, you provide a PvP option for those that want it. Carebears that only want to PvP when they are ready for it can simply not choose a PvP server.

You can argue about how open world PvP isn't what you want, and that's fine, they should give you the ability to pick that kind of server. But how can you justify not allocating one or two servers to the people that want PvP? PvP servers also serve the purpose of gathering the scumbags, of which I am one, and putting them off away from the rest of the playerbase.
Old 2012-04-08, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Stardouser
Colonel

The guy next to Higby says:
"I'll be a little bit more specific, it was Everquest for me, but in particular, the Rallos Zek server, which was the PvP server, and uh, I loved the community policed themselves, I liked that, you know, everybody knew who the ass holes were and everybody knew who the good guys were, everybody, you know, knew everybody, there was just such a strong community built around hating one another, it just grew on me."

THAT is why you need PvP servers. He nailed it. Who was that guy that said that, anyway?

I remember back in my Rallos days, we ran around constantly /guildstatting people in the zone who were anonymous to check if they were in known PK guilds. And also, when meditating between fights, sitting in areas that allowed for an easy escape. You just can't get that experience with consensual carebear pvp.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-08 at 07:29 PM.
Old 2012-04-08, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Stardouser
Colonel

LOL, in one of the later videos they talked about information repositories such as Allakhazam...TOR is so casualized that the information its repositories collect is a FRACTION of what Allakhazam collected.

Why would anyone collect TOR info on a website repository when TOR tells you in-game exactly where to go for every quest and what to do, down to a microscopic level? People don't need to look things up on out-of-game repositories when the game does all the work for you like that.

And, now, the part where they talked about requiring grouping. From an FPS context, that can't be directly compared. But in an RPG, if you can kill everything by yourself, and harder camps don't require a good group, there's no prestige for having gotten the items out of harder areas.

Now, Higby talked about how the difficulty in PS2 will come from the fact that you are playing against other players. But that's not exactly true if the game has too many casualizations that provide situational awareness info to players with no effort required to obtain it. That's a general statement, not intended to bring up discussion of any specific casualization.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-08 at 07:26 PM.
Old 2012-04-09, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Carbanu
Contributor
Corporal

Liked the videos, here is what I took away from them:

Kurt is cool.

Defiance looks cool, and it will be an enjoyable experience for the fans of the show. I just don't like PvE, our technology is not that far along that AI is challenge for longer than a few weeks or days for that matter.

GW2 from the video looks exactly like WoW as I remember it from 2004 and the two months I wasted there. How has this game been so popular with games like EQ and WoW on the market? I don't get it. Then again how do we keep buying the same shooters year after year after year. ie. CoD Franchise

I loved it when they were asked if they try to compare their work to WoW and Higby was like yeah uh nothing like Planetside 2 exists right now so how can I compare it to anything let alone a MMORPG.

I wish planetside and WoW could trade places, when it comes to the number of players online, because I think the standard of video games in general would be so much higher if more of the world got to experience Planetside.
Old 2012-04-09, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Carbanu View Post
Liked the videos, here is what I took away from them:

Kurt is cool.

Defiance looks cool, and it will be an enjoyable experience for the fans of the show. I just don't like PvE, our technology is not that far along that AI is challenge for longer than a few weeks or days for that matter.

GW2 from the video looks exactly like WoW as I remember it from 2004 and the two months I wasted there. How has this game been so popular with games like EQ and WoW on the market? I don't get it. Then again how do we keep buying the same shooters year after year after year. ie. CoD Franchise

I loved it when they were asked if they try to compare their work to WoW and Higby was like yeah uh nothing like Planetside 2 exists right now so how can I compare it to anything let alone a MMORPG.

I wish planetside and WoW could trade places, when it comes to the number of players online, because I think the standard of video games in general would be so much higher if more of the world got to experience Planetside.

Guild Wars and WoW were released around the same time airc.

Last edited by CrystalViolet; 2012-04-09 at 01:39 AM.
Old 2012-04-09, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
"I'll be a little bit more specific, it was Everquest for me, but in particular, the Rallos Zek server, which was the PvP server, and uh, I loved the community policed themselves, I liked that, you know, everybody knew who the ass holes were and everybody knew who the good guys were, everybody, you know, knew everybody, there was just such a strong community built around hating one another, it just grew on me."

THAT is why you need PvP servers. He nailed it. Who was that guy that said that, anyway?

I remember back in my Rallos days, we ran around constantly /guildstatting people in the zone who were anonymous to check if they were in known PK guilds. And also, when meditating between fights, sitting in areas that allowed for an easy escape. You just can't get that experience with consensual carebear pvp.
Rallos Zek was the bluebiest of all the red servers. The gigantic guild on Rallos enforced a 'no-pvp' policy. When the PVP servers were merged, the big guild on Rallos that enforced a non-PVP atmosphere tried to parlay with the big guilds from other servers. That parlay didn't go as planned and that big Rallos guild was pked into oblivion.

Guild Wars 2 plays nothing like WoW or EQ.

Last edited by artifice; 2012-04-09 at 02:03 AM.
Old 2012-04-09, 03:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post

Pssh. Ultima Online is and always will be the king of PK games in my mind, UO was ridiculous fun. Possibly the harshest, rudest and most mean and fucked up environment of any mmo out there. Brilliant game.

Pre uber weapons of course.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-04-09, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Aractain
Major

GW2 from the video looks exactly like WoW as I remember it from 2004 and the two months I wasted there. How has this game been so popular with games like EQ and WoW on the market?
Which WoW did you play because I spent over two years in wow and they are totaly differant.

Definance looks terrible btw.

Planetside 2 and GW2 in that line up put everyone else to shame. And while Kurt talks good he hasn't shown ANYTHINNNNNGGG about his mmo yet he says hes going to change everything in the industry. GW2 and PS2 have proven thier capabilitys. Only the missguided would play these other games.
Old 2012-04-09, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Carbanu
Contributor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
Which WoW did you play because I spent over two years in wow and they are totaly differant.

Definance looks terrible btw.

Planetside 2 and GW2 in that line up put everyone else to shame. And while Kurt talks good he hasn't shown ANYTHINNNNNGGG about his mmo yet he says hes going to change everything in the industry. GW2 and PS2 have proven thier capabilitys. Only the missguided would play these other games.

Totally agree, Planetside 2 trumps all those lackluster efforts of MMO experiences. If I remember correctly from the video, I saw what looked like a Tauren killing wolves and other NPCs. Yeah, as I said my two months in WoW was an epic waste of time and money. I went back to Planetside and killing real people all the time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion