The downside of F2P (lol at the web comic) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: so.... wanna go out?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-10-09, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

The downside of F2P (lol at the web comic)

What it's like to play online games as a grownup

Hopefully this won't be too accurate given PS2's F2P system. Shudder.

But really, how fun will it be to blast all those poor little FPS kiddies into kibbles and bits and bits and bits with some Organized Combat Skills? Oh, lots.

Q: Teamwork? Lol, wut?
A: Fraggafraggafraggafragga!

Last edited by NapalmEnima; 2011-10-09 at 01:07 AM.
Old 2011-10-09, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: The downside of F2P (lol at the web comic)

My nose is picking up the odor of a smug sense of superiority, along with a whiff of elitism.
Old 2011-10-09, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
What it's like to play online games as a grownup

Hopefully this won't be too accurate given PS2's F2P system. Shudder.

But really, how fun will it be to blast all those poor little FPS kiddies into kibbles and bits and bits and bits with some Organized Combat Skills? Oh, lots.

Q: Teamwork? Lol, wut?
A: Fraggafraggafraggafragga!
This is where team work needs to be head and shoulders above solo play.

I'm all for allowing solo play, even for tanks, I just don't want it to ever trump a well organized group.

Hopefully the class system makes medics able to be even more effective, along with making all the other classes also work really well in unison. Ideally, a well organized group should be able to take on at least twice their number in disorganized zerglings, even if there are one or two uber l33t bastards among the solo crowd.
Old 2011-10-09, 01:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

What is the point of this?
Old 2011-10-09, 02:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
SKYeXile
Major General

Defenders should of had a reaver MK1.
Old 2011-10-09, 04:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
This is where team work needs to be head and shoulders above solo play.

I'm all for allowing solo play, even for tanks, I just don't want it to ever trump a well organized group.

Hopefully the class system makes medics able to be even more effective, along with making all the other classes also work really well in unison. Ideally, a well organized group should be able to take on at least twice their number in disorganized zerglings, even if there are one or two uber l33t bastards among the solo crowd.
I'm all for allowing solo play, but my preference clearly is more important and I want people who don't play the way I do to suffer some severe penalties because of it. If they're not playing the way I am, the correct way, then they clearly suck and don't deserve to compete with me.

That pretty much sum it up? You realize teamwork works right? There doesn't have to be actual mechanics supporting it, or something to push for it working. People working as a team will succeed more than those that do not. This is true in Every. Single. Game. Even the 'solo killwhore twitch games'. An awesome CS or Quake clan will wipe the floor with a team of awesome individual players who don't work together. Nothing extra is needed.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-10-09 at 04:33 AM.
Old 2011-10-09, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I'm all for allowing solo play, but my preference clearly is more important and I want people who don't play the way I do to suffer some severe penalties because of it. If they're not playing the way I am, the correct way, then they clearly suck and don't deserve to compete with me.

That pretty much sum it up? You realize teamwork works right? There doesn't have to be actual mechanics supporting it, or something to push for it working. People working as a team will succeed more than those that do not. This is true in Every. Single. Game. Even the 'solo killwhore twitch games'. An awesome CS or Quake clan will wipe the floor with a team of awesome individual players who don't work together. Nothing extra is needed.
Congratulations on interpreting my words in a completely different way than they were intended. Perhaps some blame lays with me for my choice of wording.

Obviously, if you put 8 players vs 8 players, with all 16 being of equal skill, the side that uses team work will win every time in every game. The real point of contention here is how large a factor team work should play as opposed to reflexes and personal skill.

In team oriented games, reflexes will help, but you can beat a more skilled group of opponents by working together better than they are.

In twitch based games, that group of 8 working as a team are going to get their asses handed to them if their opponents are all a little more skilled than they are.

I haven't had a problem with changes like the driver controlling the main gun in Planetside 2 because I think it will be more welcoming to solo players, while doing little to damage team work.

I myself liked to run solo in Planetside a fair amount of the time, just to run around and shoot people without thinking about squad tactics or outfit objectives. It was never as effective as teaming up with other players though.

I'm not worried about the team work in Planetside 2, or the solo play. From everything I've heard so far, the developers seem to be doing a good job of supporting both styles of play. I was merely stating my opinion on where the balance should lay for rewarding team work versus rewarding personal skill.

I think Planetside 2 should lean more towards rewarding team work than personal skill.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2011-10-09 at 07:18 AM.
Old 2011-10-09, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Crator
Major General

So, um, how is this discussion about F2P?
Old 2011-10-09, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
So, um, how is this discussion about F2P?
At best a humorous jab at F2P, at worst a bit of alarmism?

Not exactly the most productive thread ever.

I blame the lack of new information. Damn it, the new week has technically started now. Can't we get some fresh scraps of information? How about a couple pixels of the Dyson?
Old 2011-10-09, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Planetside 2 seems to heavily support teamwork espically the added missions. So while there will still be a fair amount of solo play, there still would be a general teameffort moving together in the same direction or goal. And I'll be glad to see a more concentrated effort of team work on the tactical level in combat and wondering of all the possibilities and combinations of different player skills in teamwork.

Withthat, I'll be on the hill headshott'n with my sniper
Old 2011-10-09, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hamma
PSU Admin

A new week brings a new feature at PlanetSide2.com ... hopefully.

at that comic, especially the word "Dickpickle"

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-09, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Go with "humorous jab".

You may recall from other threads that I'm acutally FOR F2P. I ran across this comic, found it to be hysterically goddam funny, and figued the best way to tie it into this forum (where many others Could Relate) was to make an F2P crack.

That's it. Just laugh.

Last edited by NapalmEnima; 2011-10-09 at 11:47 AM.
Old 2011-10-09, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Correct me if I'm wrong but flaming each other on a game-forum is not much better than those 100.000 inmatures (some of them without pubic hair) in the comic strip.

Good coming and I see how it is connected to F2P!
Old 2011-10-09, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Levente
First Sergeant

sorry might be stupid question, but since when was it confirmed that ps2 will be free to play?
Old 2011-10-09, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Levente View Post
sorry might be stupid question, but since when was it confirmed that ps2 will be free to play?
smedly beleives its the way of the future?

I agree.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion