Concerned about facility level design - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Red, Purple and Blue!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-12, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Nick
Corporal

Concerned about facility level design

As you all know, in Planetside 1, fighting facilities were a massive part of the game. I really appreciate all the work that is going into Planetside 2 by SOE to make the game more spread out and fun for everyone. However, I'm a bit concerned from the video footage and statements made by developers on Planetside 2 facilities.

In Planetside 1, you could easily hold a base against greater odds using good tactics and strategy. However, from what we've seen of Planetside 2, it seems like the base is more spread out and open. There's no more hellish chokepoints where back and forth "cluster" battles happen. This eliminates many opportunities to hold ground, and I'm afraid that sheer numbers will be more important than before. Yes, there are choke points. However, there are many ways to easily circumvent them (like walking around the one building instead of funneling through like when Higby got TK'ed).

Obviously, some of the stuff we've seen is really nice out of facilities, but please bring back the underground corridors and narrow hallways below the bases and courtyards in addition to what is already in place.

The control console is much too exposed, despite there being shield generators. I realize this is an AMP Station but I hope we get to see these underground and more of a "last stand" area like in Planetside 1. Speaking of the generators, that artificial shield generator mechanic seems kind of stupid. Oh sorry, your 600 man army can't get in this room because there's a door with a shield blocking it. Lame.

Please no "wait for Beta" routine either, by then most of the design decisions are set in stone. It's in alpha and we've seen the game, so being negative at this point will mean more positive later on (and fun factor).

Last edited by Nick; 2012-03-12 at 01:13 AM.
Old 2012-03-12, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
NCLynx
Major

Re: Concerned about facility level design

We'll have to see what they're all like during beta. I think it's been said that we take bases chunk by chunk with a sort of check point ish feel. It depends on the base, and where that base is too though.

I'm sure it worries a lot of us but from the sound of it there will be a decent amount of choke points for the attackers once things start pushing towards the spawn and the most high priority sections of a base.
Old 2012-03-12, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Nick
Corporal

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
We'll have to see what they're all like during beta. I think it's been said that we take bases chunk by chunk with a sort of check point ish feel. It depends on the base, and where that base is too though.

I'm sure it worries a lot of us but from the sound of it there will be a decent amount of choke points for the attackers once things start pushing towards the spawn and the most high priority sections of a base.
Which reminds me of what I forgot in my first post, do we really need more BF3 copy/paste? I don't want to have artificial objectives in a base defense or attack. Great, it tells the newbies what to do. Stop overkilling it. Let the players create their own battle: devs are there to give us the playground. I don't want to play Planetside 2: Conquest Mode. Missions are fine, but we don't need "direction" on how to defend and attack a base. It works and is already fun.
Old 2012-03-12, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
cellinaire
Captain

I believe that this new 'mission' system is mainly for commander's sake. I think we can choose to not use this feature if we so desire. Well, we will see about it, though.
Old 2012-03-12, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Nick
Corporal

Originally Posted by cellinaire View Post
I believe that this new 'mission' system is mainly for commander's sake. I think we can choose to not use this feature if we so desire. Well, we will see about it, though.
The way Higby made it sound was that each base has predetermined objectives to 'win'. Different phases of the fight, if you will. If you get unlucky on a Shield Generator defuse, you might be boned for the rest of the fight. Engineers might even be able to repair the Shield Generators, but you know how defenses can collapse even if the Generator falls for a minute or two in Planetside 1.

So blowing up Shield Generators: copy and paste from Search and Destroy (CoD)/Rush (BF).

Capturing areas of base: copy and paste from Conquest (BF).

I dunno, I guess I'm just pessimistic. I wouldn't mind this stuff all so much if we just had a Control Console that's in a position that is very defensible underground at the bottom of the base with narrow corridors you can use as choke points.

Higby, this is why map design in Starcraft is so important to make the natural expansions have chokes reasonably tight/narrow. So you can use defensive things like Bunkers, Force Fields, Spine Crawlers, etc. Without that ability to defend, all-ining is much more prevalent (or in the case of Planetside - zerging).

Really random thoughts as I don't know where to focus my concern, and it's very hard to with still so little information on the game. Anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited by Nick; 2012-03-12 at 01:15 AM.
Old 2012-03-12, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The way Higby made it sound was that each base has predetermined objectives to 'win'. Different phases of the fight, if you will. If you get unlucky on a Shield Generator defuse, you might be boned for the rest of the fight. Engineers might even be able to repair the Shield Generators, but you know how defenses can collapse even if the Generator falls for a minute or two in Planetside 1.
From the way I saw it sounded pretty similar to your standard base cap in the original. Take the CY first of course, start pushing in take the lobby, move down take down tubes and then hack & hold. OR you had the option to go through the back door and do a gen drop OR take down tubes or both.

To me it sounded like there were certainly objectives but there's still as many options and ways to go about completing said objectives as there always was.
Old 2012-03-12, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
CutterJohn
Colonel

Why does a small number of people deserve a huge defensive advantage?
Old 2012-03-12, 02:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Personally, I found the base designs in PS1 hellish.

They were far too compact and claustrophobic. It was irritating as hell to attack a base. I was really happy to see the new wide open base design. It's less about spamming and more about using cover effectively.

I'm sure that there are smaller areas, but I really hope nothing as severe as it was in PS1.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-03-12, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

I share OP's concerns, but I'm more in wait-and-see mode.

*My* only worry is if the bases are so goddam huge, can you see and hear what's going on at the opposite end of the base...? In PS1 you'd spawn, run for ten-fifteen seconds, and possibly die in the stairwell. Here you might run around for a minute or two, unable to see what's going on, desperate to go to the right place and help, and POW! That's not fun.
Old 2012-03-12, 04:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
kadrin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Why does a small number of people deserve a huge defensive advantage?
Well, considering these are bases that are designed around the idea that they will be attacked, and therefore need to be defended, you'd design them to give the defenders as much as an advantage as possible and the attackers as much as a disadvantage as possible. It's common sense and it applies in the real world, if anyone is ever expecting that they could be attacked they prepare their position or base accordingly. It's why castles and forts exist in the first place, it's why trenches and bunkers are used, and why they usually clear the land around them to create "kill zones".

Heck, in reality, for an assault to be considered possible the attacker must have at least 3-1 odds, or a severe technological edge.

The real question is, why would you design a defensive position (such as a base) that could be taken easily? Why not just leave everything out in the open?
Old 2012-03-12, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Having a few easily-defended choke points meant that an effective base defense could drag the fight on for many hours. Having a meatgrinder fight over the same base where you spawn and die in under a minute is not fun. Bases which are more open and don't have easy choke points means fewer wars of attrition. Which means more fun.
Old 2012-03-12, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I am not worried.

When capturing a large base, the more the attackers move towards the center, the more resistance will be met since there will be a concentration of defense.

I actually think that will we have base fights that gradually get more intense and finish in a grand finale at the center (or main capture objective of the base, whatever).
Old 2012-03-12, 07:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

For me there's two distinct phases to the base fights.
External and internal.

The extrenal fights, pushing up to the base and eventually capturing the CY were, generally, amazing.

The internal base fights, for me, were the worst thing about PlanetSide.
As DeeTwoEh says above, they were too cramped and claustrophobic.
And it looks like the dev team are trying to address that.

Want to browse through hundreds of PlanetSide 2 images?
Or just see what Higby eats for lunch?
Then click here
Old 2012-03-12, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by kadrin View Post
The real question is, why would you design a defensive position (such as a base) that could be taken easily? Why not just leave everything out in the open?
Largely because its a game about taking territory. The bases need to be able to be taken. If you made it so the attackers needed 3 for every 1 defender, nothing would ever get taken. It'd be like one of those 24/7 2fort instant respawn servers. Nearly impossible to get anything accomplished because the defense is too strong.

Plus the RL offenses advantage of being able to blow holes in stuff, or just level the place if its too much effort, is nonexistent.

So, why would you design it that way? For gameplay, of course.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Figment
Lieutenant General

From a gameplay perspective? Because of the challenge for both sides. Because not every group will be of equal size. Because a fight needs to be dragged out to be called a fight and not a walk over. Because of logistics. Because it makes sense. Because sieging and finding a weakness in an enemy defense and exploit it is fun by being both mentally and physically challenging.

Ask yourself if people liked fighting over Bio Labs or Tech Plants more and why? Both from an offensive and defensive perspective. Was the easier to take base considered more valuable, more achievement, more prestigious, more fun to get, prefered to get through the easiest way?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion