How is voice chat working? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Captain, Jean Luc Picarrrrrd, U.S.S. Enterprrrise
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-23, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
LazzDeLuxe
Private

How is voice chat working?

I cant figure it out. If I have Push-To-Talk (PTT) enabled I can use the keypad and Z to talk to other players. I have no way to know good or bad my voice sounds, since there are no voice setup in settings where I can try it out.

Some players sounds really great, loud and clear. Others are just in "overdrive" hardly possible to hear what they are saying.

If I uncheck the option PTT, no matter how much I scream into the mic nothing gets transmitted. WHAT do I have to do to have voice activated chat available?

Also on a side note. How do I speak to other players inside a vehicle? Proximity?

Lars
Old 2012-10-23, 06:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: How is voice chat working?

Check your key bindings for the other settings, most are by default set to num pad keys.

I've noticed though that a lot of outfits still tend to use their own TS3/Vent/Mumble servers, including our own. Sometimes have to press two buttons at once... :P
Old 2012-10-23, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Playing the other night with some RL friends, we formed a squad and used in-game chat and it worked ok - better than Steam chat, anyway. I unchecked 'push to talk' and the game seemed to pick up when I was talking without any problem.

The question I've got is this: is it just your squad that hears you? Or do other people nearby hear you talking?
Old 2012-10-23, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Qwan
Captain

Its worked great for me so far, Ive actully went into the key binding and set it up as a mouse button. My outfit uses TS, but when im running with the zerg I switch it on and talk to my random squad members. For me it sounds pretty good, I like it. Though a couple of guys in my outfit say its not clear so I cant help to wonder if there are a couple of bugs.
Old 2012-10-23, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
LazzDeLuxe
Private

I am wondering if the two sliders have anything to do with it? Or if they are just volume adjustments for transmit and receive?

I must try again and uncheck PTT button. see if anybody can hear me.
Old 2012-10-23, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Firejack
Private

Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
....Though a couple of guys in my outfit say its not clear so I cant help to wonder if there are a couple of bugs.
That would be me

In game VoIP is really frustrating for me so most of the time I have it disabled.

People speaking are really quiet. Turning their volume up and my game sounds/music down doesn't help. If anything it gets worse with the sound becoming distorted.

Personally I just want the option to set the output device to the headphones on my headset. Crazy I have to put my headset on to speak and then other peoples voices come out my speakers

Still I've bugged it a few times. Hopefully they will find a solution.

On a related note they need more capacity for VoIP. Quiet often I get a messages saying the channel is full.
Old 2012-10-23, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ringring
Contributor
General

It's not good enough at present. Some people are ok but others not.

We still use teamspeak and will continue to do so until it improves.
Old 2012-10-23, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Realmofdarkness
Corporal

my ingame voip is crap. really bad sound quality and cant figure out why. sounds like an old raido stransmitting with alot of disturbance
Old 2012-10-23, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Figment
Lieutenant General

On a related note, I don't think proximity voice, empire voice or voice command chat have a place in the game since it does nothing but confuse you to who you're talking to or who is talking to you. In squad, platoon, outfit and in vehicle voice I think are valuable additions.

But so far proxy voice has done nothing but annoy me. Plus that's when hardly anyone uses it. If everyone used it it'd be absolute chaos. I doubt people play to get chaos of random unknown people yelling in their ears.

IMO, adressing a lot of people should be textual, not in the least so people can read back if they're too busy to listen and chip in, plus having a paper trail is always good.
Old 2012-10-23, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
On a related note, I don't think proximity voice, empire voice or voice command chat have a place in the game since it does nothing but confuse you to who you're talking to or who is talking to you. In squad, platoon, outfit and in vehicle voice I think are valuable additions.

But so far proxy voice has done nothing but annoy me. Plus that's when hardly anyone uses it. If everyone used it it'd be absolute chaos. I doubt people play to get chaos of random unknown people yelling in their ears.

IMO, adressing a lot of people should be textual, not in the least so people can read back if they're too busy to listen and chip in, plus having a paper trail is always good.
Absolutely.
Old 2012-10-23, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

I cant even get any in game VOIP working, cant receive or send a thing, which by the sounds of things is fine, as TS is perfect.
Old 2012-10-23, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post

I think proxy chat is a good thing, but only if it works right. I loved proxy chat in MAG because it was easy to quickly tell someone to stop moving so I could repair/heal them without having to actually be in their squad.

It has to work consistantly for it to be of value though. Half the time I can't understand people and then some people are 100% clear... it annoys the piss out of me that I can't set some kind of normalization like vent. You have to manually go to the communications tab and see who is talking and then turn them up individually.. which if there are 20-30 people around it can be hard to tell who is talking.

Last edited by Dragonskin; 2012-10-23 at 10:17 AM.
Old 2012-10-23, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Qwan
Captain

Originally Posted by Firejack View Post
That would be me

In game VoIP is really frustrating for me so most of the time I have it disabled.

People speaking are really quiet. Turning their volume up and my game sounds/music down doesn't help. If anything it gets worse with the sound becoming distorted.

Personally I just want the option to set the output device to the headphones on my headset. Crazy I have to put my headset on to speak and then other peoples voices come out my speakers

Still I've bugged it a few times. Hopefully they will find a solution.

On a related note they need more capacity for VoIP. Quiet often I get a messages saying the channel is full.
Hey Firejack whats up, yes I was speaking of you, as one of my outfit memebers. No excuses private have it fixed by 1300hrs on thursday, with or without it, we will be running missions.
Old 2012-10-23, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

To be honest I turned it off the second I installed the game.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-10-23, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ZaiRoX
Private

I liked how directional the sound was. If someone on your left was talking you would get the sound on your left earphone etc. That is something teamspeak will never be able to do.

The few people who used it sounded alright to me, altough some trolls also used it to troll spawn areas with gangnam style and stuff...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion