PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Cheaper then a babysitter
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-04-21, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

I thought of suggesting he do that also. But I just as many horror stories of ppl taking their machines to local mom&pops pc or best buy or crapusa and getting back a hosed system. I've spoken with techs at many of these places and i am shocked ppl bring their computers to them.

But everyone has to start somewhere. I didn't know anything about upgrading when I started, a long long time ago. I defintely didn't have anything like forums to ask for help on thats for sure. So learning about maintaining and upgrading your PC is a very useful skill and really not very difficult.

RAM, as well as most pc parts are static sensitive. You can get one of those electrostatic wrist pads if you want. But really its not THAT sensitive. Unless you got shag carpetiting or don't use laundry dryer sheets you won't have any problems as long as you touch the metal on the interior of your pc case before you handle any pc parts. Many of my friends have killed cpu's, mobo's, video cards, etc all with either bad hookups or static. I seem to have somekind of incredible luck. I can litterally man handle mobos, to the point of stepping on them heh, and they still work fine.
Old 2003-04-21, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Magneto
Corporal

yes i have 256MB and the game runs like crap for me
i lag so horribly in beta casue i dont have enough ram

and from the beta forums i have found out that in order to run the game lag free u need atleast 1 gig of ram

"Only the dead have seen the end of War"
~Plato~
Old 2003-04-21, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
air_head1
Corporal

ya one thing i was warned when i got my video card is to NOT try to place vid card in on a carpet if there is a static spark or something ur whole system can crash so i went upstairs to kitchen counter. I do agree though that these forums are so much help without them well i probably would of busted my computer while putting the wrong kind of ram in lol
Old 2003-04-21, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
air_head1
Corporal

wow that program CPUID is cool i just learned my computer name is thunderbird from now on i won't call him computer i will call him thunderbird.
Old 2003-04-21, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
air_head1
Corporal

wow and apparently no one manufactured or gave thunderbird a model
Old 2003-04-22, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Cyanide
Major

Yes all computer parts are somewhat static sensative but RAM is by far the most sensative, so if you do decide to install it yourself do it in your kitchen. Hold the RAM only by the edges. DO NOT touch the flat sides of the RAM, this will prevent you from ruining it.

BTW, to disipate the static in your body through the computers case the case must be plugged in! It will NOT disipate static if it is not plugged in when you touch it.

You can also disipate the static from your body by sticking a paper clip in the third prong hole of a 3 prong outlet. This is the ground of the outlet and will not shock you. DO NOT put the paper clip in the small slot of the outlet as this WILL shock you.
Old 2003-04-22, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

LoL Cyanide, I just would never have the b@ll$ to stick a paper clip into a wall socket, even if it was the groud. Good tip on it being plugged in, didn't know that. Guess I have been really lucky so far. I actually just stuck in another 512 corsair xms cas2 stick today taking me to 1 gig. I will post if its a serious improvement.

Air - Gotta have a cool nic for your PC. Thunderbird is the codename for that chip. You can also try wcpuid, most same info but might have some extra details.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum