News: Community Night with Matt Higby Recording - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bring your fire extinguisher
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-29, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Re: Community Night with Matt Higby

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I about 2 minutes.
just saw the new intro... its sick, well done.

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2012-01-29 at 11:10 AM.
Old 2012-01-29, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Carbanu
Contributor
Corporal

Re: Community Night with Matt Higby Recording

Another great AGN, didn't catch it live unfortunately but thanks for posting it up.

Does anyone feel like resources might be purchasable?

No timer on MAX, as mentioned before probably resource restrictive?

For objectives: Something like Defend the Gate shield generator, at what point would that objective be "completed"? When all enemies are removed from the area? Would the person who assigned it be able to control when its completed?

Galaxy: I think it was Greywolves that quoted Sun Tzu, and I agree with him. The AMS was a great tactical asset that only the most attentive enemies would discover before the zerg arrived. One of the best elements in the game and it really shined in the caverns (my favorite places btw).

I guess the time will come when we can test this new system but I am hoping for the best.
Old 2012-01-29, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Atheosim
Captain

Possibly "Defend for X amount of time", when that's finished, reissue mission/order.
Old 2012-01-29, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

At least I didn't have to wait too long for the recording; the first hour I couldn't hear or see anything of the live podcast.

Old 2012-01-29, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
EVILoHOMER
Major

Iron sights are needed in a modern shooter of this nature for it to be popular. It isn't needed in TF2 as it doesn't have that kind of combat and is a very cartoony game. I couldn't imagine Planetside 2 being a success if it didn't have them in so I'm sorry but people will have to live with it. I don't see them as a problem as Planetside's gameplay was never Unreal Tournament or Quake speed.

I'm more worried about Snipers personally as they were pretty useless in Planetside because the shooting wasn't that great so they had no impact on a battle. I could stand out in the middle of nowhere and not get snipped once. As the shooting in Planetside will be brought up to date I'm worried about how over powered snipers will be. If people are scared to go out into the open because of them, then the game will fail. It's like TF2 and the 2Fort map with Snipers making people scared to go out in the middle and it makes the map boring. As soon as you ban the class from the map it becomes chaos in the middle and is amazing.
Old 2012-01-29, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

Sooo...can anyone write up a summation of the Q/A with Higby?
Old 2012-01-29, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Zulthus
Colonel

Well, a game doesn't need iron sights to be successful. I play BF3 and PS1 because they are both different and fun games in many aspects, where BF3 has the quick TTK, iron sights, etc. PS1 didn't have either, and the reason it wasn't successful is because the game was ahead of its time. Very few people had the hardware and/or internet connection to run it. Had it been released a few years later I'm sure it would have been a big name game.
Old 2012-01-29, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Yutty
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
this would be nice
Old 2012-01-29, 11:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
HitbackTR
Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post

I'm more worried about Snipers personally as they were pretty useless in Planetside because the shooting wasn't that great so they had no impact on a battle. I could stand out in the middle of nowhere and not get snipped once. As the shooting in Planetside will be brought up to date I'm worried about how over powered snipers will be. If people are scared to go out into the open because of them, then the game will fail. It's like TF2 and the 2Fort map with Snipers making people scared to go out in the middle and it makes the map boring. As soon as you ban the class from the map it becomes chaos in the middle and is amazing.
Lol? Snipers were NOT useless in Planetside. A competent sniper was a great asset to have in the field. You clearly don't know what the hell you are talking about.
Old 2012-01-30, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
Atheosim
Captain

Yeah, I have no idea how you might have come to the conclusion that snipers are less effective, let alone useless.

Can snipers one-shot anywhere on the body or is a headshot required to oneshot an opponent?
Old 2012-01-30, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by HitbackTR View Post
Lol? Snipers were NOT useless in Planetside. A competent sniper was a great asset to have in the field. You clearly don't know what the hell you are talking about.
They were. This had been put up many times already.

The only time I managed to defend the CC successfuly as a sniper was in caves, when I was guarding both CC entrances and my mate was guarding the console in a MAX. But yet again enemies were just coming one by one... If they gathered we wouldn't had made it.

Other than that snipers has no use. It's not about their competence.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-01-30 at 08:23 AM.
Old 2012-01-30, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
I started working on it in my sticky on the top of this board. I am busy with studying atm, so I only got about a quarter of the way done.

Question: How will urban combat be incorporated?
Higby: We have a couple diff plans for urban style combat. One of the keystones of our facility design is building them out so they're much larger overall footprint. There's sort of like an urban warzone that surrounds the facility itself. Another way, way further down the road, will have continents with a lot of urban combat; ie a lot of cities. At launch, the concept of "in your face" urban style combat in our facility fights.

Question: Has the feedback on ironsights changed or influenced how you plan on implemtning them?
Higby: We will still definitely have them. WE haven't backed away from the idea at all, but a lot of the feedback has been ways to do it that wont' take away from the PS gaming experience, and that has been very valuable. The feedback from PSU and Twitter has been very enlightening. People bring up issues with things that we'd have no idea they were upset about. We were surprised so many people were upset by the lack of vehicle animations.
A lot of it has been figuring out what iron sights mean for our game; what kind of advantages they give you. It was very split on people who like it, who don't like it, and were meh about it.

Question: New information on the max capabilities?
Higby: Most special abilities are locked down; the Vanu one isn't. We are trying to figure out an empire specific ability to give them; it's a balancing act between what the empire already has and what we want them to have. We have a lot of different options. TR will have lock down, NC will have lock down, and they will all have a generic charge ability.
Old 2012-01-30, 04:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
AncientVanu
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Question: New information on the max capabilities?
Higby: Most special abilities are locked down; the Vanu one isn't. We are trying to figure out an empire specific ability to give them; it's a balancing act between what the empire already has and what we want them to have. We have a lot of different options. TR will have lock down, NC will have lock down, and they will all have a generic charge ability.
What exactly does this "lock down" ability do? BTW being new in this community it was the first time that I watched an AGN video, and have to say thank you guys for making these, it was very interesting and informative. Also big thanks to Matt Higby for joining and answering the questions, it is awesome to see such connection and communication between community and developers, this is rare nowadays.
Old 2012-01-30, 04:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
Bags
Lieutenant General

It's the TR ability. They lock down in the ground, which takes like 2 -3 seconds, and get an increased rate of fire. IT was a terrible ability.
Old 2012-01-30, 04:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Yea, if you wern't TR, hearing a MAX lock down meant a free kill around the corner
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion