News: PlanetSide 2 Game Update 11 Patch Notes - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: There is no god but Hamma, and Marsman is the messenger of Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-25, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #91
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Re: PlanetSide 2 Game Update 11 Patch Notes

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
the mines are big enough to be seen. they don´t need any disco effects. none of them!

the discrete blinking lights were ok, but the lasers on tr mines were always too visible.

i would vote for giving the tr a normal ai mine like the other factions have, and introduce another mine type: the half life laser mine.
everybody who played half life should know what i am talking about.

it is a tripwire mine with a laser "tripwire" that can be placed on every surface.
meaning ground, walls, ceilings or even vehicles.
the mine emitts a laser (always straight from the lense) and if the laser hits any movement, the mine goes off.
so you can put it on the side of a abondoned tank, and when the driver comes back and doesn´t notice the mine, it will blow up the second he moves the tank with the mine attatched. just like c4 but with an automated ambush trigger.

but the lasers on that mines need to be faction colored if the mines are iff. and not too visible.
I like the idea of lights on the mines, because the BB is damn hard to see without it (actually, the lights on the BB don't really seem to work most of the time, so they don't really help - but in theory it's a good idea). PS2 maps have a lot of little bumps and details, and the BB is just another faint grey blob against a grey background - generally I notice them just as I'm stepping on them

Anyway, I agree that it's odd for the TR mine to be so different to the other two - I guess they were trying for faction-specific flavour, but in practice having only one of the three mines work in a different way is a really bad idea. So I agree it'd be better to give the TR a BB-style mine, and either make the Claymore NS, or add in a new NS laser-tripped mine like you suggest. I really like the HL2 ones

Old 2013-06-25, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #92
Whiteagle
Major

the mines are big enough to be seen. they don´t need any disco effects. none of them!

the discrete blinking lights were ok, but the lasers on tr mines were always too visible.

i would vote for giving the tr a normal ai mine like the other factions have, and introduce another mine type: the half life laser mine.
everybody who played half life should know what i am talking about.

it is a tripwire mine with a laser "tripwire" that can be placed on every surface.
meaning ground, walls, ceilings or even vehicles.
the mine emitts a laser (always straight from the lense) and if the laser hits any movement, the mine goes off.
so you can put it on the side of a abondoned tank, and when the driver comes back and doesn´t notice the mine, it will blow up the second he moves the tank with the mine attatched. just like c4 but with an automated ambush trigger.

but the lasers on that mines need to be faction colored if the mines are iff. and not too visible.
Yeah, I also agree with giving the Terran Republic their own Anti-Personnel Mine and making a Tripwire-type explosive available to all Factions.

I think technically the Bouncing Betty and AP Mine have different explosive splash, but they are functionally used the same way, while the Claymore's Directional Blast is actually hindered by it's deployment method.

If the Claymore was set more like a pack of C4, where it stuck to an object and then went off if anything passed in front of the face, it would be WAY more useful but also broken as hell in compairison to the other Factions.

So yeah, give the TR an actual Land Mine, then rework the Claymore into Faction Specfic Sticky Tripwire Explosives.
Old 2013-06-25, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #93
Shogun
Contributor
General

halflife type lasermines would perfectly fit into the engineers portfolio.

he could secure the entrances to generator rooms, before repairing a gen, to prevent being backstabbed by a sneaky enemy.

lasermines that stick to any surface offer so many cool tactical uses compared to simple proximity mines. so it would only be fair to make them ns and change the claymore to match the other two factions ap mines.

maybe if the ap mines need to have faction flair, make the tr a shrapnel mine that registeres as bullet damage instead of he. so nc, vs and tr have mines that are deployed the same way, but all use different damage system. and the tripwire is the same for all.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-06-25 at 11:34 AM.
Old 2013-06-26, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
Whiteagle
Major

halflife type lasermines would perfectly fit into the engineers portfolio.

he could secure the entrances to generator rooms, before repairing a gen, to prevent being backstabbed by a sneaky enemy.

lasermines that stick to any surface offer so many cool tactical uses compared to simple proximity mines. so it would only be fair to make them ns and change the claymore to match the other two factions ap mines.
Not only Engineer, but Light Assault as well!
After all, what better class to stick Explosives onto the Ceiling?

maybe if the ap mines need to have faction flair, make the tr a shrapnel mine that registeres as bullet damage instead of he. so nc, vs and tr have mines that are deployed the same way, but all use different damage system. and the tripwire is the same for all.
Perhaps... You could also make the Tripwires Faction Specific as well, since that's where different shaped Explosive Splashes would be more useful.

So the NC's Tripwire Explosion is a powerful concentrated cylinder, while the TR does an extra wide cone.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion