AGN: Consolidated Community Clash Feedback Thread - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Spam served for lunch, breakfast and dinner!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Competition Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-08-22, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Krunk
Private

Re: Consolidated Community Clash Feedback Thread

Incoming Wall of Text and unless you really are interested in feedback I would not worry to much because this is nit-picking.

Formatting
The cast crew needs to go to all of the available bases on each map and evaluate them. Grade them 1-10, 12v12 or 24v24 approved. Take all the ones 8+ circle them and publish them as possible battle bases for the events. Maybe even detail the spawns.

^This will allow everyone ample time to prepare and know how things will flow, also improving on the down-time.

Vehicles
This should be very easy, each group should be asked if they want to involve vehicles for the evening Yes or No. If they agree, do not over complicate it. If they pull a MBT in a 15 minute match they would be spawning @ 30+ seconds after the start and reaching the fight at min 2+ minutes into a now 13 Min match.

This same Vehicle is walking in to a controlled environment of organized squad play. It takes maybe 2 heavies 15 seconds to kill it. Thus burning over 2:30min of the enemys time fighting at full force. Vehicles are a blessing or burden, when ignored they roam free and when focused they are vaporized. Groups should be liable to respond accordingly to a dynamic battlefield.

The Play
If we were to sit down and ask any of these squad leaders this question, how would they respond? "You are approaching a base and are presented with 12 players in the cap room, How do you overcome this and what is the minimum you would need?"

Is it 3LA's with C4, 5 Bandolier Heavies, a counter 12 man max crash? This is what they need to then be executing on within the community clashes. These events let groups push to perform and execute these. They need time to develop but once players are able to learn the bases and get comfortable with favorite spots you will see much more engaging play and a lot less of these Mexican stand off's. As players will be leveraging fields of fire to deny access to objectives rather than turtling inside.

Having great play relies heavily on balanced bases to play in but remember that anytime a attacker has a advantage, the other team will share that same advantage for their turn. If for some reason they do not or are not able to then that should not be a valid base.

Casting
It is getting better for sure, just try and keep in mind to always be reporting:
  • What is happening
  • Why it is happening
  • what could have be done to change the outcome

+rest of generic observer cam improvements and ironing out the hick-ups.

Looking forward to future matches.

Last edited by Krunk; 2013-08-22 at 01:48 PM.
Old 2013-08-22, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by NotTheMomma View Post
I agree with Sardus & Robo about the scoring. In fact, I commented in TS post-match that it felt kind of silly fighting for so long when only the last 60 seconds really mattered.
Well, if it works for the NBA...
Old 2013-08-22, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Kalee J
Sergeant

Even with flaws, this was still more enjoyable to watch than War Report in my opinion.
Old 2013-08-22, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Sniksder
Private

I have not read all of the above posts but i think it would be nice to have a few things (i played for GOTR last night):

1: shorter time between rounds. I think most of this should be fixed as time gos on with trial and error, the Hossin lattuce not showing up slowed us down a bit.

2: Clear rules on what is NOT allowed before the match. I missed some of it because of loud comms.

3: A second game type for example: king of the hill : have a nc moderator cap a base (preferably one that has symmetrical bases around it maybe an tech plant?) and the TR and vs each start with one lattuce link to it. they have to capture the NC owned base and the team to capture it wins. This takes away the advantage of the defenders seeing the base first while attackers go in blind then when they switch the previous defending team can set a better game plan based on the past experiences.

4: Hossin being polished (maybe? i dont know with optimization stuffs) would help. I lost 2 lightnings to spontaneous combustion and the lattuce not showing was a bummer. plus some people had FPS problems on hossin.

5: This is kinda nit picking but i would have liked to know more in advance like what continent we are fighting on.

I know one thing is that i had an absolute blast and i know i would like to do it again.
Old 2013-08-22, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
I feel that it should be kept as simple and light as possible. It should be about promoting the game, spotlighting outfits and entertaining the audience. It should not be a super serious be all, end all that says outfit A is "better" than outfit B. Take it from an exhibition for a charity viewpoint. (Hey, charity events sound cool) Unless of course, your goal is to make it a super-serious event about who's more 1337.
This is exactly what we are trying to do.
Old 2013-08-22, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Kalee J
Sergeant

Next time, more action shots of #RoboLamp
Old 2013-08-22, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
This is exactly what we are trying to do.
Needs to be competitive, And keep that in mind. Sardus and & [TRG] Are hurt after that loss. And so they should be.

Shake hands certainly. But watching something when you know there is rivalry and allot on the line makes better viewing.

Things like this are for outfits to prove that they are "Better" than outfit's.

There are plenty of things to promote PS2. But nothing until now promotes outfits in such a way.

For the love of it. Dont water it down.

Last edited by Pella; 2013-08-22 at 05:12 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-08-22, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Luperza
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

On the comment about more community marketing, the Official Planetside 2 social network channels will also be advertising the event going forward. So keep a lookout for those Tweets and what not! Share and RT them to help grow the competitive community.

As well as you may see some other aspects arise as SOE is able to help support the event and show throughout the upcoming months. :P
Old 2013-08-22, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Luperza View Post
Didn't you say you were going on vacation?
Old 2013-08-22, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Pella View Post
Needs to be competitive, And keep that in mind. Sardus and & [TRG] Are hurt after that loss. And so they should be.

Shake hands certainly. But watching something when you know there is rivalry and allot on the line makes better viewing.

Things like this are for outfits to prove that they are "Better" than outfit's.

There are plenty of things to promote PS2. But nothing until now promotes outfits in such a way.

For the love of it. Dont water it down.
It will still always be for fun though - my reply to him wasn't saying we would water it down.. just that we don't intend to be MLG level
Old 2013-08-22, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
It will still always be for fun though - my reply to him wasn't saying we would water it down.. just that we don't intend to be MLG level
The nature of the outfits involved make it competitive enough. Focus on fun is best for all. Unless of course, you want to start putting up $10k and holding tournies.
Old 2013-08-22, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
DES Mono
Private

I got logged out from my huuuuge write up! ;.;
Old 2013-08-22, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
DES Mono
Private

I'll keep it straight to the point because I don't feel like typing all that back up. Sorry if is sounds dry without compassion or crap like that...too tired now!

Commentary: Try covering specific roles and taking turns. Color and Technical, classic tested combo, everyone does it for a reason. Keep it simple and stupid, great basic to learn is to commentate like you are on the radio, or a podcast (hur), meaning explain the little things step by step. "And TRG is storming point C with 7 guys through the West side. They clear the room with their 3 Max support combo!" You guys are getting better, keep it up.

Viewership: On screen clock/countdown timer, small team score ticker, Video feeds labeled with what team they will be focused on, blow up of mini-map. Out of your hands point: I agreed with Dreadnought in stream, observer came with "x-ray" vision/god mod clipping view/etc. would be great. Camera operators could try pressing alt and using the pointer to point out keep points for commentary to focus on or to expand and enhance.

Full rule set needs to be explained at the beginning of the cast with specifics reiterated through out. I thought an info-graphic would help this out and am working on them now.

Gameplay: Needs to be shorter. Maybe three "halfs." I would say aim for a hour and a half program, with minor delays.

Programming: While the gameplay may need shortening, it is okay to add in more commentary and more pre and post match analysis. Break down the chosen base, do a observer game walkthough, point out cap points, choke points, spawn rooms, terminals, and key strategic spots: like a ridge overlooking the base, a back door, etc.

Ambitious idea: most teams have one streamer. Have those streamers start and stop their stream at each round. Keep tabs on the point of time during the match that a key shift happens. Visit those players stream archives and see what it was like to be in the action at that point of time. It's as close as we are going to get to a first person camera with out going to their stream directly, which is a constant heavy bandwidth burden.

Semi off topic. +1 for Kidriot's match breakdown. +1 to community effort. +1 to this community. Love you guys. Total homo.

Good night,
-Jeremy
Edit: Phew! Almost lost that one too. Would have had a heart attack. So tired. Yay sleep.
Old 2013-08-23, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Hamma
PSU Admin

Countdown Timer is definitely coming as long as we can make it work for next week! As well as a scoreboard. First person cams should also be coming as long as we can get a beefier stream server up. We use a private server for streaming the obscams and FPS cams to limit delay.
Old 2013-08-24, 12:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
inigma
Sergeant

Last edited by inigma; 2013-08-24 at 09:27 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Competition Discussion