Personal PS2 Epiphany - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If this quote gets answered, i'll be dead by then
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-11-06, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Personal PS2 Epiphany

For what little it matters, I think I've just realized why I'm so frustrated with my PS2 experience thus far. It's the same reason I was frustrated and disappointed (and thus stopped playing) with Diablo 3.
With D3 I was hoping for all the good things that were in D2 to be expanded on, not ignored or burnt to the ground.
If I'm wrong let me know as I would love to get hyped back up for this game but I'm just not feeling it.
Old 2012-11-07, 01:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: Personal PS2 Epiphany

Planetside 2 is a new game, and must be enjoyed for what it is, which is fucking awesome. It is not Planetside 1.
Old 2012-11-07, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Jaged View Post
Planetside 2 is a new game, and must be enjoyed for what it is, which is fucking awesome. It is not Planetside 1.
*Quoted is a cookie cutter reply that confirms lack of interest is justified and it's better to move on for a PS1 player as it insinuates the PS1 player is somehow obsolete and won't find what he or she seeks in PS2: PS2 intentionally does not fulfill the promise of a PS1 remake/sequel despite deliberately suggesting this by sharing its name and it is actually less developed/deliberately more shallow than or different from PS1, so you'll either have to accept that or move on and never see what you feel constitutes as a proper PS1 remake/sequel*

THAT is what any PS1 vet that's not happy with PS2 reads into this reply.

So that's NOT the type of reply you want to give. Trust me on this one... I can't actually believe people say "it's a new game" and think it constitutes an argument and worse, think it will convince anyone from PS1 who has concerns about PS2 that PS2 is or ever will be a decent successor. This is one of the reasons PS1 vets become "bitter", as these same people put it.

So stop it sunshine, you're ruining the experience for returning players with a higher expectancy pattern than yours even if you don't realise it and think you're giving a motivational boost.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-11-07 at 05:00 AM.
Old 2012-11-07, 05:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Jaybonaut
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
*Quoted is a cookie cutter reply that confirms lack of interest is justified and it's better to move on for a PS1 player as it insinuates the PS1 player is somehow obsolete and won't find what he or she seeks in PS2: PS2 intentionally does not fulfill the promise of a PS1 remake/sequel despite deliberately suggesting this by sharing its name and it is actually less developed/deliberately more shallow than or different from PS1, so you'll either have to accept that or move on and never see what you feel constitutes as a proper PS1 remake/sequel*

THAT is what any PS1 vet that's not happy with PS2 reads into this reply.

So that's NOT the type of reply you want to give. Trust me on this one... I can't actually believe people say "it's a new game" and think it constitutes an argument and worse, think it will convince anyone from PS1 who has concerns about PS2 that PS2 is or ever will be a decent successor. This is one of the reasons PS1 vets become "bitter", as these same people put it.

So stop it sunshine, you're ruining the experience for returning players with a higher expectancy pattern than yours even if you don't realise it and think you're giving a motivational boost.
Please provide a perfect example of the reply that should be given that will make 'bitter' PS1 vets fall in love with the game.

...please?
Old 2012-11-07, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
TheMarz
Contributor
Corporal

There's some things that'll be changed as time goes on but for me who played ps1 from the start, I both loved and hated the game at the same time. So far playing ps2 ive had a great time and id recommend it to anyone.
Old 2012-11-07, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Jaybonaut View Post
Please provide a perfect example of the reply that should be given that will make 'bitter' PS1 vets fall in love with the game.

...please?
You can't make them fall in love with the current state of the game and you shouldn't try to. It just feels insincere and forced.

All you can say to them is that you feel for them (if you don't, eh, insensitive person is insensitive - then there's always the option to just not say anything) and encourage them to make their grievances heard, while trying to enjoy the good parts and that devs already made at least some improvements based on PS1 feedback, even if it's not typically enough to satisfy PS1 players. Try to ease the pain, don't rub salt in the wound.

Provide hope for change or that the game gets somewhere we can all enjoy and accept yourself that they might be on to something, don't squash hope for improvement because you're content or complacent with the status quo. The game won't grow on them, so don't suggest that it will, that'll just increase disappointment.

Simply be fair and accept their position without trying to change them to what they're not. Don't expect them to simply stomach everything if their heart and mind tells them it isn't right.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-11-07 at 06:23 AM.
Old 2012-11-07, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ritual
Banned

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
You can't make them fall in love with the current state of the game and you shouldn't try to. It just feels insincere and forced.

All you can say to them is that you feel for them (if you don't, eh, insensitive person is insensitive - then there's always the option to just not say anything) and encourage them to make their grievances heard, while trying to enjoy the good parts and that devs already made at least some improvements based on PS1 feedback, even if it's not typically enough to satisfy PS1 players. Try to ease the pain, don't rub salt in the wound.

Provide hope for change or that the game gets somewhere we can all enjoy and accept yourself that they might be on to something, don't squash hope for improvement because you're content or complacent with the status quo. The game won't grow on them, so don't suggest that it will, that'll just increase disappointment.

Simply be fair and accept their position without trying to change them to what they're not. Don't expect them to simply stomach everything if their heart and mind tells them it isn't right.
What the hell is this feel good hippie nonsense?

Never ever ever tell someone that Planetside is not the greatest game ever made.
Old 2012-11-07, 07:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rolfski
Major

There might be some reasoning behind PS2 feeling burnt to the ground vs PS1.
SOE probably thought PS1 was not working (commercially):
- subscription model less suited for MMOFPS
- fps mechanics not solid enough
- too complex for the average gamer

Which might be the reason for them to go a different direction with PS2:
- F2P model
- focus on solid fps mechanics first
- start with basic release (3 continents, no meta game) and add depth later
So there's a good chance you might feel PS2 over time if the game keeps paying enough for itself to keep the studio staffed.

Personally, I'm feeling this game better already then PS1 during trial period, which I never could get past. At launch, PS1 just was a way more boring game to me.
Old 2012-11-07, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Nazzov
Private

Originally Posted by Jaybonaut View Post

...please?
Here is the same text in Higgby's words:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPDG5m7R-AU&t=8m44s
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion