Weather - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'll drizzle tha shizzle all over tha hizzle
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-29, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Weather

I have not been able to keep up on the status of weather in PS2. I know at one point weather was to be a post-release thing, but then I have heard mentions to it..

Does anyone know if weather is making it in for release. I sure hope so. Weather could add a lot to the environment and variety in the game.

I am excited to see how ForgeLight will handle it.
Old 2012-04-29, 08:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Kran De Loy
Captain

Re: Weather

Same as above.

At a guess I would say that stuff like rain and thunder or thick ground fog were the things that were going to show post launch while stuff like randomly generated volumetric clouds is what I'm guessing is going to pass for weather at launch.

Either of those are ridiculously awesome and above and beyond what I see in almost every modern FPS.
Old 2012-04-29, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Weather week, go!

At the very least I'd like to see occasional falling snow on Esamir and rain on Amerish, even if it's added in later.
Old 2012-04-29, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
The Kush
Captain

I think they also mentioned maybe having sandstorms, that would be awesome. And of course a crazy blizzard or rain storm would be insane
Old 2012-04-29, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Zulthus
Colonel

I love weather... IMO it shouldn't be toggleable. Everyone turned it off in PS1 because it limited visibility, but if they made it forced in PS2 then nobody would have an advantage over one another.
Old 2012-04-29, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I love weather... IMO it shouldn't be toggleable. Everyone turned it off in PS1 because it limited visibility, but if they made it forced in PS2 then nobody would have an advantage over one another.
Agreed
Old 2012-04-29, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Methonius
Master Sergeant

I agree with it being forced it would make the game become more tactical to invade a base at night during a foggy rain storm also seeing gunfire light up in a foggy area would be sick if forgelight engine can handle it right.
Old 2012-04-29, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
I think they also mentioned maybe having sandstorms, that would be awesome. And of course a crazy blizzard or rain storm would be insane
The sandstorms in PS1 just made the world feel so real. It was incredible to be rolling across Ishundar in a tank column and suddenly see a random storm roll in and nearly block out your view as you thundered toward the enemy base.

Even Planetside's weather was awesome for the time, so I can hardly wait to see what they do for PS2!
Old 2012-04-29, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Absolutely about the forced part. Computers are powerful enough now that you could have the weather effects scale in complexity to match the different system specs, but as long as things like visibility were always equal across all settings, it would be fine.

I haven't been 100% in the loop, but beyond seeing some awesome clouds in some of these recent screen shots, I don't believe we've heard much more about weather. I'm cool with getting it sometime down the road, but it would certainly add some interesting variety to battles.
Old 2012-04-29, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

I guess we should pester the devs some to see how the weather is coming along.
Old 2012-04-29, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Considering how awesome weather would look on Forgelight, it seems a bit of a waste if it isn't in at launch.
Old 2012-04-29, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
cellinaire
Captain

Season + weather system.

My favorite would be : Volumetric cloud layers at LAUNCH!! Volumetric cloud layers at LAUNCH!! Volumetric cloud layers at LAUNCH!! Volumetric cloud layers at LAUNCH!! Volumetric cloud layers at LAUNCH!! Volumetric cloud layers at LAUNCH!! Volumetric cloud layers at LAUNCH!!

/giggle =)
Old 2012-04-30, 01:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Minor
Corporal

I'm hoping we can take advantage of rising and setting suns during an assault.

We saw the setting sun glare in the 45 min gameplay footage, but will sun glare provide an attacker with an advantage if he is performing his assault with the sun at his back?

This was a tactic used by the Hitites and the Egyptians thousands of years go. Yes I am a history channel nerd.
Old 2012-04-30, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Minor View Post
I'm hoping we can take advantage of rising and setting suns during an assault.

We saw the setting sun glare in the 45 min gameplay footage, but will sun glare provide an attacker with an advantage if he is performing his assault with the sun at his back?

This was a tactic used by the Hitites and the Egyptians thousands of years go. Yes I am a history channel nerd.
Yes. That was one of the goals that I figure Higby wanted when he mentioned it something like a dozen times over various interviews. The thing is having the sun at your back makes seeing you more difficult, but not impossible. That's the key balance issue for gameplay consideration.

People have linked that Battlefield 3 does the same thing except the BF3 version is so incredibly stupid that it hurts. Like in these examples, you can still see the trees outline way in the back but you wouldn't be able to see stuff hiding under their limbs while in BF3 it blocks out entire buildings.

Alpha Screen Shoot in PS2

BF3 Screen Shoot

Old 2012-04-30, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
TerranTitan
Sergeant

I'm still waiting for my standard issue sunglasses for BF3
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion