SOE doing more about hackers? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: total killwh0re
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-12-08, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SGOniell
First Sergeant

SOE doing more about hackers?

Not sure if anyone else has noticed it, but I just got out of an hour session on US East Jaeger and there were a lot of notification coming up Something like "System broadcast: Surveillance drones are watching (insert name here)" This is my first time seeing that since I've been playing PS2 (again, I play odd hours usually), and there was a lot of it. Probably 10-20 broadcasts. Is this usual around this time of day or what?
Old 2012-12-08, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
IzBenerd
Private

Re: SOE doing more about hackers?

Yes. This is unusual however there are hackers that are apart of the gameplay right now. I've seen two myself.
Old 2012-12-08, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SGOniell
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by IzBenerd View Post
Yes. This is unusual however there are hackers that are apart of the gameplay right now. I've seen two myself.
apart of the game play? I'm uncertain what you mean. Don't they usually hack in game, like speedhacking and aimbotting? That's part of the gameplay.
Old 2012-12-08, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
IzBenerd
Private

I suppose it was my use of poor word choice, I apologize. It was referencing that hackers are inevitable in any game you play and with planet side's MMO feature it's quite difficult to spot one unless they're oblivious that they're going to get banned eventually.
Old 2012-12-08, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SGOniell
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by IzBenerd View Post
I suppose it was my use of poor word choice, I apologize. It was referencing that hackers are inevitable in any game you play and with planet side's MMO feature it's quite difficult to spot one unless they're oblivious that they're going to get banned eventually.
No worries, and I agree with you. Its very nice to see them doing more recently though. So long as this keeps up its possible we'll see very minimal hacking.
Old 2012-12-08, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ritual
Banned

There are a few things I don't like.

-The GM's are sitting around totally visible having pow pow's in the middle of fights. If they are sitting around they are not looking for cheaters. There must be 10 billion reports in the backlogs, there is no excuse for them having enough downtime to lounge around.

-It would be nice if they sent out system broadcasts about who was being banned. Like "XYZ DRONE has incinerated cheaterXXX with a hellfire missile". That way we can all cheer and know if our reports are being heard.

-While it is nice being able to send tell's to them, I have not personally seen any cheaters get banned yet.

Let's see how long this lasts. There are still a bunch on the leaderboards on Waterson that have not been removed yet.
Old 2012-12-08, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Beerbeer
Major

I have a biblical saying: pride before the fall, the haughty spirit before destruction.

Sony obviously underestimated this problem.
Old 2012-12-08, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SGOniell
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ritual View Post

-It would be nice if they sent out system broadcasts about who was being banned. Like "XYZ DRONE has incinerated cheaterXXX with a hellfire missile". That way we can all cheer and know if our reports are being heard.

-While it is nice being able to send tell's to them, I have not personally seen any cheaters get banned yet.

Let's see how long this lasts. There are still a bunch on the leaderboards on Waterson that have not been removed yet.
I see what you're saying, real nice to see these notifications about them watching folk though. Makes me somewhat more confident you know? I just got out of another session and those broadcasts kept coming.
Old 2012-12-08, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
Don't put a lot of faith in that as proof they are still around. We are currently not removing characters from our cached characters on the leaderboard as we don't have a way to know if someone was banned via the api. Doubt they even have a method for removing banned people from the api data atm. Only thing you might rely on is the last login date to know of they are still active.

Edit: I realize you meant in-game leaderboard. Might even be provided by a data warehouse as well.

Twitter | Dragon Wolves

Last edited by Ghryphen; 2012-12-08 at 09:48 PM.
Old 2012-12-08, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Beerbeer
Major

I'll be blunt, considering their scare emote tactics, I think they're losing this battle.

Why else would they put that crap in; talk is cheap: read behind the lines...

Last edited by Beerbeer; 2012-12-08 at 09:48 PM.
Old 2012-12-08, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Originally Posted by Beerbeer View Post
I'll be blunt, considering their scare emote tactics, I think they're losing this battle.

Why else would they put that crap in; talk is cheap.
Agree, the amount of data they are
tracking for each person, it should be pretty easy to automate red flags on players. It all seems to be rather manual process at the moment.

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2012-12-08, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Beerbeer
Major

Yeah, there's no reason to put that emote in unless they're scared and losing this battle.
Old 2012-12-08, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Beerbeer
Major

The only good thing about this situation, is that as the population drops because of hackers (and other reasons), their interest (and customers) will obviously drop. So I guess it's not all that bad.

Last edited by Beerbeer; 2012-12-08 at 11:03 PM.
Old 2012-12-09, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Beerbeer
Major

One person reviewing tickets, manually?
Old 2012-12-09, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

I highly doubt it's one person.

SOE is doing their best to be visible and let hackers know shit won't be tolerated. It was inevitable a game of this scale would see massive cheats. People need to feel powerful and hack, it's inevitable there will ALWAYS be hackers.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion