News: Game Breaker Interview - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: And now for something completely different.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-02, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Re: Game Breaker Interview

In PlanetSide 2, advancement takes the form of unlocking “Certifications” which require Cert Points. As a player you’ll earn Cert Points by playing the game, defeating other players, accomplishing goals, working with your team, etc. You’ll also be able to earn Cert Points while offline if you meet certain requirements.
Anyone get the feeling that "certain requirements" is referring to premium?

After last time higgles elaborated on the resource requisition system, i think he left me with easily as many new questions as he had answered! One really big one being... What is the relationship between Resources and Cert-Points???

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-05-02, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
BETA HAS BEEN HAXED BY TEH TINY MAGRIDER COLONY OF DWARFS!
*Imagines the NC have come up with a Vanu-shrinking beam weapon*

Now THAT would be nice to buy in the cash shop
Old 2012-05-02, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
SKYeXile
Major General

DID YOU REALLY THINK WE WOULD NOT NOTICE SOE?!?

we have nothing better to do you know!

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-02, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
*Imagines the NC have come up with a Vanu-shrinking beam weapon*

Now THAT would be nice to buy in the cash shop
I was thinking more like overpowered minimag with twice the mowing capabilities.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-02, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Xyntech
Brigadier General

This is actually a previously secret new weapon in Planetside 2: The Shrink Ray. Capable of making large vehicles be little larger than a person.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Yes, these screens look odd. Sumthin' smells fishy here.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

meh... who cares if they've photoshopped a few screenshots to make them look more attractive... we've all seen the game play videos, which are a lot harder to fake... and it looks good to me.
the Mag does seem awfully small tho... PLEASE FIX TO BE AWESOMEST TANKz IN GEAM PLX!!!!!!11
Old 2012-05-02, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
meh... who cares if they've photoshopped a few screenshots to make them look more attractive... we've all seen the game play videos, which are a lot harder to fake... and it looks good to me.
Good point. Agreed.
Just shows we need a good dose of beta-juice to snap us out of this hysterical frenzy!
(am still curious to understand if it's Foregelight that's somehow warping the view though!)
Old 2012-05-02, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
the Mag does seem awfully small tho... PLEASE FIX TO BE AWESOMEST TANKz IN GEAM PLX!!!!!!11
I don't exactly care, I'm just quite curious about why it was done.

Just looks... off.
Old 2012-05-02, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
xXGumpXX
Banned

anyone getting bored of following this game or is it just me , whats it been now since the last post about 3 weeks ? how about just cut the crap and tell us when beta is , there is even speculation that this game might not even be out till sometime 2013 , i like the fact of how you post a thread then all of a sudden it goes quiet for a mth , and i like i said before , stop getting your inspiration from Battlefield 3 , this game is all about planetside and thats what the community wan'ts , so stop trying to copy a game that has sod all to do with planetside , planetside is planetside and planetside is not **** Battlefield 3
Old 2012-05-02, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
The Janitor
Sergeant

Will there be any kind of long-term goals in place? Killing each other and taking territory is cool, but do there need to be bigger strategic goals?

We have an extremely robust strategic meta-game, especially for a shooter. Taking territory does more than just change which flag is on the flag pole, it gives the presiding empire access to specific resources and denies those resources to the others. Cornering certain types of resources to deny access to enemy empires create the need for strategic choices before you engage in major battles, giving additional dimension to the fight.
This worries me. There's about as much depth added as when you add another layer of meat to a turkey sandwich. It's still a turkey sandwich, just slightly thicker. To some, this may be fine, as many veterans just want PS1 but shiny with a few things added on and better latency and less hacking. And hey, none of that is a bad thing.

However, I do think the game is going to initially lack a certain amount of overall strategy. Even if resources are there, you're still just taking territory over and over, but instead of bases it's resource dumps. So now you have different things to take back and forth with essentially the same value as bases.

There needs to be unique things to fight over, even if it's just one thing per continent. A base with a huge dish on it that allows commanders to scan maps and show enemies on radar for a short period of time. Or a base with massive artillery cannons that allows the controlling faction to call down short artillery bursts on other continents. I'll make a thread about this, specifically and see what we can come up with.
Old 2012-05-02, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Hrmm.. I smell quickly doctored photos.

Maybe they copy/pasted a few extra grunts in there to spice things up?

The four Mags in the other picture also look ridiculously tiny. And have no shadows, despite the Sundy next to them having a large shadow.
That made me lawl
Old 2012-05-02, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
TheBear
Private

(RE: the Video)

Bob: "Hey John I heard you had an exclusive interview with Higby about this Planetside 2 game!"
John: "Sure did Bob, never seen Planetside 1 before!"
Bob: "Cool! Neither did I! I'm going to pretend I know things about the series now"
John: "Awesome, me too Bob, maybe together we can seem like the two most uninformed gaming journalists on this title!"
Bob: "Yah, how about I misquote terms like Back-Hack, and you wildly suppose how PS1 players feel about hacking as an issue!"
John: "HELL YAH. Let's also only provide information that's been readily available for months, to show how little we looked in to this before our interview..."
Bob: "Sound like we got it nailed"
Old 2012-05-02, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
I'd rather convince myself it's a weird perspective effect from Forgelight before believing we're being fed doctored information? I think 2 of the mags in the OP do have a shadow, but can't convince myself on the other 2?

The guy being the same height as the Sundy - could that be related to giving human forms priority to make them more visible at distance?
Yeah it doesn't make sense for them to photoshop in extra ppl or vehicles. The Devs can spawn bots and vehicles out of thin air at will if they want to.

I sure as hell hope that it's not some BS human target-enhancing gimmick. They need to keep perspective constant so we can effectively judge distances. And if someone is far away they should be harder to see and hit...

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
I was thinking more like overpowered minimag with twice the mowing capabilities.
My vote is for an ES-specific Lightning that hovers and is armed w/ a Light Railgun.

That said, to put the sundy more into perspective, take a look at this shot which I suspect is fairly accurate:

The Mag on the left is a little closer to the camera than the Sundy so it's slightly bigger looking, but the relative sizes are much closer to what I'd expect them to be than the OP pics.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-05-02 at 07:42 PM.
Old 2012-05-02, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Mechzz
Major

I hear ya. After the Bio-dome post where the picture was confirmed as a concept:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=40965

I wonder if we've been misled by some pictures that are not actually from the game engine. Still, gave us something to chew on.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion