Subscription, One time payment, or both? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please stop rejecting me. It hurts.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Which?
One time payment 41 25.15%
Subscription 60 36.81%
Neither 19 11.66%
Both 35 21.47%
Other 8 4.91%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-20, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
SteinB
Sergeant

Re: Subscription, One time payment, or both?

Originally Posted by cryosin View Post
I think there should be both.

Here's what i really don't like about current F2P games:

Rentals: These are cheap but they increase the cost of permanent ownership.

Expensive Weapons: If each weapon is $7-$15 then that is a bit high.

I also hope there's a bundle option. I would love to pay the price of a retail game($60?) and get most of the weapons/sidegrades unlocked at once.

Another thing the subscription could have is added cash. So if you where going to pay $15 at once, you should just pay for a subscription and get the same amount of added station cash.
The All Access pass does give a certain amount of Station Cash each month.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-20, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by SteinB View Post
The All Access pass does give a certain amount of Station Cash each month.
As do recurring (not one time) memberships to our DC Universe Online MMO. There are honestly tons of options out there and we are looking at every one of them to ensure we have the best model we can to provide not only a reasonable cost, but value for your money.

We'll announce more down the road about the PS2 Marketplace.
Old 2012-04-21, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
artifice
Staff Sergeant

I don't think any type of subscription should get anywhere near Planetside 2. It's like begging for the nightmare that is the payment model of Everquest 1 & 2. SOE does not have a good reputation when it comes to their tiered payment models. Of every f2p game in existance, SOE's are the worst.

Last edited by artifice; 2012-04-21 at 10:04 AM.
Old 2012-04-21, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Neither. Free to play removes the barrier to entry and it will ensure people will actually try the game. This game, unlike the plethora of themepark mmos, NEEDS a player population in order to even be a playable game. Free to get into and play will deliver on that.

Ban the exploiters, rather than punish everyone at the expense of the success of the game for what the exploiters *might* do...
Old 2012-04-21, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

EQ and EQ2 were paid models then transitioned to F2P with the hope of getting players to go P2P in my opinion due to the limitations in the game. PS2 is the first major PC game they are making that is pure F2P with a paying sub that more of a afterthought. Its the other way around this time, which is why I don't think there is going to be any issues.
Old 2012-04-21, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
EQ and EQ2 were paid models then transitioned to F2P with the hope of getting players to go P2P in my opinion due to the limitations in the game. PS2 is the first major PC game they are making that is pure F2P with a paying sub that more of a afterthought. Its the other way around this time, which is why I don't think there is going to be any issues.
We'll see. To me, it seems like EQ and EQ2 are simply a result of a company that doesn't trust the f2p to make money or a company that wants their cake and to eat it too. Other companies have transitioned their p2p games to f2p a lot more seamlessly.
Old 2012-04-21, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
bjorntju1
Captain

Voted for substciption. Thinking of getting resources when offline, faster skill training both on- and offline. A monthly allowance of station cash and maybe some exclusive customization options with only subscribers get.
Old 2012-04-21, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Pollo Jack
Corporal

Subscription is winning by a landslide.

I'm not familiar with subscription fees besides planetsides, 10-15 a month. How much do yall envision paying for a sub? Even at 10 bucks a month that's 120 a year, every year. How is this superior to a one time 30-60? What current subscription games are yall basing your votes off of and what price plans do they use since I am clearly behind the times.
Old 2012-04-21, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
XPquant
Sergeant

I said subscription, but I am sure that they will have all kinds of bundles/specials in the cash shop.
Old 2012-04-21, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
GrapesOnDrapes
Private

When it comes to membership services, a subscription model is most likely the payment method they'll use.
Old 2012-04-22, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Pollo Jack View Post
Subscription is winning by a landslide.
The group of people being polled here is self-selecting and has a higher than average level of interest in, and attachment to, the game. Given that, I'm surprised it's only 40% for a sub only. Shows that the gaming community has grown used to the idea of having its pockets raided on a regular basis for top-ups to play a game.

I just hope SOE have the integrity to stick to the "no pay to win" policy through good times and bad - for there will be temptation on them to sell power.

My pref is sub only, I'll see how good the shop offering is (and how good/awful the standard models are) before deciding to spend in the shop.
Old 2012-04-22, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Fenrod View Post
Wow. Bad, BAD idea.

This membership thing is a poor crap they should not act like this this will ruins the F2P systhem they should focus on bringing a lots of Skins and helmets and pattern and also !

Selling UPload LOGO slots could be cool as hell for a certain FEE they integrade everyones OWN logo into the game to put on ou tanks , aircraft etc.. as an Outfit or personal options !

but membership thats give extra ressource etc... will give a way to much advantage at those who pay so the game become thats way a PAY TO WIN at this point they should sell the game !
Old 2012-04-22, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
artifice
Staff Sergeant

I get the eery feeling that you will be forced to pay a monthly fee to be able to go over an 'x amount' of resource restriction. I hope people realize what they are asking for when they say subscription.
Old 2012-04-22, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Toppopia
Major

I would think that if they did have an increase of your maximum resources, it would be a 1 off purchase, so like $10 to increase maximum by 150% or something, I think a 1 off payment would be better rather than a subscription to get membership benefits, because what if you have got the stuff you wanted and no longer want to pay? Do you lose all your customisation options or only some of them?
Old 2012-04-22, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I would think that if they did have an increase of your maximum resources, it would be a 1 off purchase, so like $10 to increase maximum by 150% or something, I think a 1 off payment would be better rather than a subscription to get membership benefits, because what if you have got the stuff you wanted and no longer want to pay? Do you lose all your customisation options or only some of them?
My experience with EQ1 and EQ2 says otherwise. The only way to get by the maximum platinum restriction is via a monthly fee.

Well, with EQ2, you lose access to all your Legendary items if you quit paying a monthly fee.

Last edited by artifice; 2012-04-22 at 05:38 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion