SmedBlog: eSports Support - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Drinking your chocolate milk since 2003!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-11, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
Dissapointed a lot of folks? For throwing an idea out?

This whole developer/player relationship thing has to be better than that. We have ideas. We throw them out. You like them or not. We make them or not. You play the game or not. We need the feedback loop and we are trying to go way above anything we've ever done and frankly we want to raise the bar in this industry (and there are developers that do this very well so that is a high bar indeed) for interaction with our player community.

I look at this very simply. We make this game for you. You vote both with your feet and your pocketbook. If you don't play, we're screwed.

so let's be able to discuss ideas and not assume the world is coming to an end on December 22, 2012 (launch date for PS2).

Smed

Please don't stop sharing ideas

Love for the chance to discuss these kinds of things before they get implemented.

Kinda the whole point of community interaction

Not enough studios do it.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Graywolves
General

I enjoy discussing with the Devs when I am able, it makes me feel like I'm part of the team. It makes Planetside2 something even more personal for the player as well.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

This whole developer/player relationship thing has to be better than that. We have ideas. We throw them out. You like them or not. We make them or not. You play the game or not. We need the feedback loop and we are trying to go way above anything we've ever done and frankly we want to raise the bar in this industry (and there are developers that do this very well so that is a high bar indeed) for interaction with our player community.

I look at this very simply. We make this game for you. You vote both with your feet and your pocketbook. If you don't play, we're screwed.

so let's be able to discuss ideas and not assume the world is coming to an end on December 22, 2012 (launch date for PS2).

Smed
I do apologize. I think I (and likely many others) have just been jaded by other companies, namely Blizzard, who roll out betas and beta forums and then proceed to ignore player feed back completely on top level design concepts. It's no fun to read thousands of post about how some NGE level change to WoW will make the game unfun for people and see Blizzard steam on ahead, because Blizzard knows best. This has happened to me in the Wrath of the Lich King beta, Diablo III beta, and the Mists of Pandaria beta. The bottom line is, Blizzard does whatever Blizzard wants to do, so if you've heard about something changing, it's going to change. Period.

Again, please pardon me for painting SOE with that same brush, because I should know better. I spent a lot of time on SWG forums and I know that SOE put so many of our suggestions into that game before the end (even some of my own). We were well taken care once the kinks were worked out.

I trust you. And now, I also understand where you are coming from. I'll keep these things in mind in the future.

Ps. Pox Nora... lol I actually did play for a couple hours one time and it didn't make any sense to me at all. I figured it would have a tutorial like the SWG/LoN TCG, but I couldn't find one and I was laawwsst!
Old 2012-08-12, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Smed
I'm honestly damn glad you made this post. This is something that NEEDED to be said.

People need to start calming down and stop acting like every single idea tossed out by the development team is the end of the world. Every time something is even talked about being added to the game there are several people who scream "SOE IS FUCKING US AGAIN!!!" "NGE FOR PLANETSIDE!!!" (obviously a bit exaggerated but the point is the same).

This whole community-developer interaction isn't going to work if the community acts like spoiled brats; and I am glad that most of our community does seem able to simply give an opinion without crying like children. But we need to work on being more open to ideas instead of just shutting them out.

On the other hand Smed you have to understand a part of this is fear that Planetside 2 will be turned into something those of us who loved the first so much do not want it to be; and mistakes have been made before with the first Planetside. Many people are still very cautious when Developers promise stuff due to so many times being burned, and not just by SOE but many recent games.

This whole "Developers not just looking at customers as just dollar signs" thing is going to take some time to build; although the Planetside 2 dev team has done a great job so far from my experience.

Cheers.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Blizzard used to be one of my favorite devs too D:

Good old days of Warcraft 2, Diablo (1&2, but I was mostly around for 1), and Starcraft.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
Anabuki
Private

Smed
I think this should have its own locked thread and stickied, along with all the SmedBlog threads as stickies but not locked. It'd encourage positive feedback.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
Stardouser
Colonel

Smed
In general, if we have to vote with our pocketbooks, it means that it's already too late - by the time it's time to spend money, you're locked into whatever feature is in question. It's better to focus on the feedback part you were talking about to avoid the voting with your pocketbook part.

To that end, a lot of the "disappointment" over e-sports is the tinfoil-hat argument "community splitting", people think that because you do something that provides options like that, the main servers won't be populated. If you can smite those people with arguments that show they're wrong, the way will be clear. Let it fester(by ignoring such concerns), however, and it will plague you until the product itself proves them wrong, but that will leave a bad impression from now until whenever that is.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Cool Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post

Please don't stop sharing ideas

Love for the chance to discuss these kinds of things before they get implemented.

Kinda the whole point of community interaction

Not enough studios do it.
Ditto!

Watch what T-Ray says at 3:50:

Old 2012-08-12, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
Slide Surveyor
Corporal

Originally Posted by SpottyGekko View Post
Yes, I think the eSports idea is a good one.
What the hell are you smoking?!?

Last edited by Slide Surveyor; 2012-08-12 at 12:40 AM.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

December 22, 2012 (launch date for PS2).

Smed
Did anyone else not notice this? I mean, I read it when I first replied, but I don't think it quite sunk in, because I felt bad that the one thing I wrote here that Smed replied to was something (unintentionally) negative.

Is this for reals, Smed or are you pulling our legs? Not sure what to think, because the timing seems reasonable, despite that being the day after the end of the world. I was always a little too gullible when growing up, so yeah...
Old 2012-08-12, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
super pretendo
First Sergeant

First official reveal?
Old 2012-08-12, 12:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
Grims
Private

I think he was messing with you lol
Old 2012-08-12, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
Anabuki
Private

I think we should know better by now than to trust dates that are thrown out for the sake of it
Old 2012-08-12, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

I seem to be hooked on Tribes and Day Z twitch casts... The Tribes casts made me a better player and the Day Z casts made me buy the mod.

This is going to be big. I like the idea of watching a massive battle unfold from different angles on twitch. Especially like the one I was involved in today.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-12, 02:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Did anyone else not notice this? I mean, I read it when I first replied, but I don't think it quite sunk in, because I felt bad that the one thing I wrote here that Smed replied to was something (unintentionally) negative.

Is this for reals, Smed or are you pulling our legs? Not sure what to think, because the timing seems reasonable, despite that being the day after the end of the world. I was always a little too gullible when growing up, so yeah...
Just a joke.

Originally Posted by Bittermen View Post
I seem to be hooked on Tribes and Day Z twitch casts... The Tribes casts made me a better player and the Day Z casts made me buy the mod.

This is going to be big. I like the idea of watching a massive battle unfold from different angles on twitch. Especially like the one I was involved in today.
same on buying the mod. That has a lot of promise. I'm a big Zombie / Vampire / end of the world by plague guy

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
In general, if we have to vote with our pocketbooks, it means that it's already too late - by the time it's time to spend money, you're locked into whatever feature is in question. It's better to focus on the feedback part you were talking about to avoid the voting with your pocketbook part.

To that end, a lot of the "disappointment" over e-sports is the tinfoil-hat argument "community splitting", people think that because you do something that provides options like that, the main servers won't be populated. If you can smite those people with arguments that show they're wrong, the way will be clear. Let it fester(by ignoring such concerns), however, and it will plague you until the product itself proves them wrong, but that will leave a bad impression from now until whenever that is.
understood. the point I was trying to make earlier was we're talking about ideas that may or may not go into a video game. It's just a discussion. Nothing imminent was happening. I was merely throwing ideas out. I feel like people need to embrace that kind of discussion as merely a hypothetical and contribute ideas and/or blow the ideas apart because they suck. Or insert snarky comments. any of which are good by me.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion