Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-11, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

AMD's are fine and they generaly outpreform the pentiums at the lower end of things. Cell's aren't all that bad, there a p4 with half the cache and a slower fsb but i don't have that much lower performance than someone with a p4 2.4 would have

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-11, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Ait'al
You just want him to get an AMD 8\ :rollseyes:
No you just want him to get intel. AMD is a fine brand. Generally cheaper and you can still beat intels. If he went with something like pyro said that would be a good choice. Only thing I would change is getting a better mobo, like an abit or asus.
Old 2004-01-11, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yeah don't skimp on a mobo, get a decent one liek teh p4p800 for an Intel or the NF2 bord that asus makes

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-11, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

biostar is a reputable motherboard manufactorer. Thats a Nforce 2 400 chipset. Not everyone can afford the computers u put aitial. I only went with 512 ram because not everyone can afford to get a gig. when i was his age i got aruond $200 for christmas and i know that he could afford that possibly. toss in this video card EVGA GeForce FX 5900SE-$188 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pa=1&section=1. (its a nice card i talked about with rbstr heres some reviews.http://firingsquad.com/hardware/evga...900_xt_review/ ) and Asus nForce2 Ultra 400 A7N8X-$88 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...=BROWSE&depa=1 (if you want a better motherboard.
So "bigger" computer reusing hard drive and the rest.
AMD Athlon XP 2500+-$90
Asus nForce2 Ultra 400 A7N8X-$88
Geil Value Series Golden Dragon 512MB DDR PC-3200x2- 75x2=150
EVGA GeForce FX 5900SE-$188
Total=$516
Thats a damn nice rig right there.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2004-01-11, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Pyro's got a good one, the only thing i would do would be to get one stick of 512 instead of 2x256, then save up for a while and byuy a second stick of 512.

Also i would realy go for the Asus, i have never seen a bad reviw and they just recently swept the TGH Readers chois Mobo awards

Old 2004-01-11, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Ait'al
Contributor
General

And you can also get the ATI 9600xt for the same price at www.FuturePowerpc.com if you want to go with that over Nvidia. http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts...I_9600XT_128TD 185$ right now and no ground shipping on it

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-01-11 at 03:55 PM.
Old 2004-01-11, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

aitial did u read that review. That 5900 stomped ALL over the 9600pro. and u can overclock it on standard cooling to preform on level as a normal one. yea i went with two sticks because i figured dual channel but, thinking about it now it sounds like a better idea.

Old 2004-01-11, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yes ait you brough one thing to mind, Nvidia kinda screwed up last year with their cards, but they are remedying it. One thing pyro, i bet you could flsh the bios of that to a 5950 and be able to realy oc it with some cooling. Thats one of the coolthings with the 5950, 5900, and the 5900 ultra (dono about the XT) you can flsh the bios of the ultra and the regular and effectivly make it a 5950

Old 2004-01-11, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
ZionsFire
Lieutenant Colonel

Hey um, Aital. Mind lending me your money tree for lets say..forever?
Old 2004-01-11, 11:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

zion aitial hasnt even bulit the computer he talks so much about. Im pretty sure he hasnt even played PS.

Old 2004-01-12, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Ait'al
Contributor
General

IM building it very soon and Rbstr the 5900 is the same lv as the 9800 isnt it? in model type atleast. and whats that have to do with anything Pyro?

I have to build a nice computer so i have one soon. I need it soon and im going ot need it for several years and i want to build pre PCI-ex.
Old 2004-01-12, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Ha, I didn't know Pyro was NoSurrenderTR. I'll have to get in some free tk's when were in squad again heh.

Ait'al, its easier to take advice from someone who actually uses the stuff they talk about ya know. I know quite a bit of stuff from just reading on the net and stuff, but I know ALOT more bc I actually have been buying, building, and using all this stuff for a very long time. If you haven't been into the 'scene' since the 486 days, you missed alot and thats why you prolly only trust intel. Those of us who got shafted left and right by intel during much of the late 90's on the other hand have very different feelings.
Old 2004-01-12, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Dale its not that i wasnt "on the scene" im aware of hte changes its just that i have been dealing with different types of "memory loss". I know why people changed to AMD over intel.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-01-12 at 03:16 PM.
Old 2004-01-12, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

Ok. Rbstr i read on a forum (it was late at night) that when someone flashed his 5900 to a 5950. he had overclocked it to the same speed on both. something around 400 something 844. Also Daleon i said HEY ITS PYRO!!! when i first squadded w/ u

Old 2004-01-12, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Ha, I must have missed that. I'm usually in a blood thirsty killing frenzy 99% of the time that I play.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum