PS2 confirmed to only have servers in one area of USA - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Think different
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Re: PS2 confirmed to only have servers in one area of USA

This is... SOE... I'm not sure what I was even expecting...
Old 2012-06-12, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

another way of forcing european players to play on pro7 servers.............

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Daffan
Corporal

Misc Info

From AUS to West Coast would be around 200ping which is good, whereas over on East Coast i'd say 260-300 area... Europe is 330-360...
Old 2012-06-12, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Emerald used to be 90-103ms for me
Gemini in its new home SOE SD is now 186-203ms with random disconnections every play session.
My ping to most game servers in Germany 85 -130ms

UK based

I really was hoping for a set of east coast servers so i could avoid prosatpro7 if i wanted to.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
megamold
Second Lieutenant

i dont really give a crap about who owns the server i am playing on.

if the server works and things like the store or managed by SOE ( same currecy, same items etc.) then i dont see how it matters in the slightest.

sure the phone helpdesk will be by pro7 ,but i have been gaming for 20 years and i have never called to any games phone helpdesk for any reason.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

Hmm, I suspect it won't be that big of a deal. 9 years ago I played PS1 on Emerald (east coast) from Washington state. Service to homes and overall pipe speed has increased dramatically since then...
Old 2012-06-12, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
From AUS to West Coast would be around 200ping which is good, whereas over on East Coast i'd say 260-300 area... Europe is 330-360...
If I lived in Australia I would have started tunneling my way to the mainland by now, if only to get away from the spiders.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Wondering if this will affect you? http://pingtest.net/ will give you a clearer idea of your ping possibilities.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.

Last edited by xSquirtle; 2012-06-12 at 07:25 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Jownzorz
Corporal

Guys, its 2012. If you're having ping issues when connecting from East coast to West coast or vice versa, purchase the faster internet option from your ISP.

I live in South Florida and I have no issue playing on West Coast servers. Heck, even when PS1 released, I picked Markov, not paying attention that it was a West Coast server. I don't understand where the issues are coming from. Why can't you play with 100-150ms?

I'm sure they will have the servers in Texas for the US and the EU servers somewhere in Ireland.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Jownzorz View Post
Guys, its 2012. If you're having ping issues when connecting from East coast to West coast or vice versa, purchase the faster internet option from your ISP.

I live in South Florida and I have no issue playing on West Coast servers. Heck, even when PS1 released, I picked Markov, not paying attention that it was a West Coast server. I don't understand where the issues are coming from. Why can't you play with 100-150ms?

I'm sure they will have the servers in Texas for the US and the EU servers somewhere in Ireland.
I've got a 20mb line, and my ping varies from 160-250 compared to a east cost of 30-70. There is a significant difference, which is why even blizzard still launches games on multiple server locations.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Take it from an enterprise WAN data technician for an ISP:

It's not ping times that kill your FPS game, it's jitter.

Most games take latency into consideration. It's a pretty awesome science; they've got algorithms that work out where you were x milliseconds ago and where the other guy was and whether the shot actually landed etc.

What throws that off is inconsistency with ping times. If it's going back and forth all over the place, it's going to screw with your game.

Jitter isn't dependent upon distance however, it mostly depends upon carriers and the quality of their equipment.

So really, everyone is in a panic about this and it doesn't make a huge difference.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-06-12, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
SKYeXile
Major General

Playing with +150 is shit to US west, yet alone playing with like 250 to central servers.

unless they have like the mega time stamp processing server, its gonna be shit, even if they do...its still gonna be shit.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-12, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Bags
Lieutenant General

Because I'm used to getting 30 - 50 ping on every other shooter.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
LtCarman
Private

Tell that to people living in the mid-west where Internet access is still not a possibility to some.

Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's not a problem.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by LtCarman View Post
Tell that to people living in the mid-west where Internet access is still not a possibility to some.

Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it's not a problem.
This. It's a FTP game. It's supposed to have a low barrier to entry. If everyone needs a $1200 PC and a $300/mo internet connection, not many will play.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion