News: Higby Outlines this Months Patch - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bitches love me cuz they know that I can rock.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-09, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
typhaon
Sergeant Major

Re: Higby Outlines this Months Patch

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
If you do nothing but spawn camp then it will go down for sure. Hopefully they balance it so that better kills (killing people who have been alive longer, have kill streaks, ect..), there will be a greater reward.

While it may not deter spawn camping, it sure makes it a lot less worth it.
I don't think it's going to do a thing to change player behavior... only the rewards for killing.

I'm not sure how things are on your server - but I find very little egregious spawn camping. 99.9% of the "camping" is done to spawns while waiting for a capture to complete... that behavior isn't going to change. Attackers aren't going to suddenly let the defenders wander out of the spawn and get a few kills, so they can re-kill them. From what I can tell, attackers will just get less and less XP for killing the defenders... while the defenders will have more and more incentive to BE camped, as the potential targets they can nab from inside their spawn will become more and more valuable.

Now surely when in more even battles, individuals will see a greater variance in the XP they receive from kills... from time to time they'll snag someone that has been on a streak and get more XP.. and from time to time they'll kill some newb for very little XP, that is getting killed as fast as he can spawn. I don't think players are going to be able to intentionally "hunt" difficult players... and that doesn't even make sense in the context of PS2... so it's all just going to boil down to what I said: is the end result that players get XP faster... the same.... or slower, than before.

If the end result is players getting XP at a slower rate... I don't think there is going to be a lot of enthusiasm for the dynamic XP.

* Maradine - I think the frustration is that players want to hear about the MOST important thing...

Last edited by typhaon; 2013-01-09 at 11:36 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #137
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Did you miss the part where the rest of the issues, including the metagame, are still being worked on? Or the part about how this is what they could reasonably enumerate for the time frame?

Do you want us to go forward, or would you just like to get off the boat now? No one will judge you.
The amount of work that still needs to be done is way more than they seem to be considering.

The way I see this game is like this:
SOE built us a house. They let us help in the design and building some. The poured a very nice foundation and started framing the house. We had concerns about where they were putting the rooms and the hall ways and we saw issues that would develop in the house if the continued on with the floor plan we saw in front of us.
then SOE said "House is complete enough you can move in. Don't worry about the landscaping or the paint on the walls and the cabinets we'll be working on those as the game progresses.
We said 'wow' I didn't know we were ready to move in.... "Wait what are you talking about fixing the landscaping and the paint... there is no fucking roof?!?!? And you still have this completely fucked up floor plan?!?!"

So yeah this patch is a good step in the right direction. But there is A LOT of work to be done yet.
Old 2013-01-10, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #138
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
What fucking good does that do when they still wait to run into the iceberg before they acknowledge there is actually ice in the fucking water?
That is the frustrating trial and error bit: we warn them, they go see if it is an iceberg or a clear route. Then we go "told you so... Now back up, take a sharp turn starboard and then take this route", largely because all the time the status quo and some people at the far back of the ship who can't see ahead, go "I'm confident that wasn't an iceberg, we think the quickest route is straight ahead because we trust our captains know best", mostly because they are either profiting from selling lifeboat tickets (thinking they sell cruise tickets), or having first class enjoyment at the expense of the second and third class passengers who have no entertainment facilities or can't find it on there decks, often because they are too mesmarized and impressed by the size of the cruise ship (sure the facilities are somewhere, they just havn't found it yet). Meanwhile each iceberg rammed leads to more lifeboats being launched.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-01-10 at 02:54 AM.
Old 2013-01-10, 03:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #139
mbarrett
Banned

It's nice to know things are getting sorted , how ever in my eyes it's not good enough , how about giving us some originality back , squad/platoon i wan't to be able to see my whole platoon rather that just my squad , I wan't to seen the old grief system come back , I wan't to see cr1-cr5 come back as i think this game needs it , Proper CE like x 20 mines x 10 spitts x 10 motion sensors , to me this game is not worth the time as i feel its not planetside , sony fucked planetside up , Infact they done a better job fucking up the sequel than sony done fucking up the original game
Old 2013-01-10, 03:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #140
EVILoHOMER
Major

Until they put the underslung MCG back in I'm not coming back.
Old 2013-01-10, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #141
PredatorFour
Major

People banging on about "meta game this ..." "meta game that...." "oh wait for the metaaaaa" are forgetting that it will still be shit if they don`t sort out the basics and get the game right. Like base design .. air overkill ....lack of infantry game etc..
Old 2013-01-10, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #142
ChrisLand
Corporal

Just wanna point this out:

http://www.soe.com/status/

Population is still a major issue and no planned changes to it (aka server merges) in the patch. Transfer tokens are not enough imo.
Old 2013-01-10, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #143
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

Nice to know that spawn rooms are getting some improvements. 3-node tower outposts are probably the worst, given you're not afforded the same chances to pick off the enemy outside, compared to spawns with an exit on the same floor.

Though I didn't see my lengthy post addressed on XP balancing for defending empires, hopefully that will make an appearance in the six-month plans.

Old 2013-01-10, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #144
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

If they can manage a fix this month that keeps players in the game then I think that server mergers probably arent necessary. This is the issue is that folks are playing and then moving on. Im hoping for some good stuff this patch and maybe the server pops will start to rise again.
Old 2013-01-10, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #145
Seafort
Private

The patch notes are a good step forwards but I don't see it stopping anyone from leaving or bring anyone back to the game that has already left.

With no metagame or reason to cap a continent it's just a really big team deathmatch which gets boring with only 3 maps.

The game is becoming boring to me and if nothing changes within the next 2 months I don't see myself staying around. Plenty more games to play now and on the horizon
Old 2013-01-10, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #146
psijaka
Contributor
Major

I'm liking pretty much everything that I see in the patch notes; good progress on lots of fronts.
Old 2013-01-10, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #147
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

Patch is still 3 weeks away.

Xmas was only 2 and a bit ago and pops were flat/falling despite x3 SC and double XP
Old 2013-01-10, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #148
james
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
If they can manage a fix this month that keeps players in the game then I think that server mergers probably arent necessary. This is the issue is that folks are playing and then moving on. Im hoping for some good stuff this patch and maybe the server pops will start to rise again.
Server merges are necessary, the game is bleeding players. I see the patch as a good start, but i don't think its enough. Since steam is the only actual numbers posted. The player base on steam has drop from 12k peak to around 9-10k peak in about a week. I would say at the current rate they will be down to 5-6k in three weeks. The amount of players just using the launchers are unknown, but based on no server every go high it can't be much better. This game will die if you don't have near full servers, it just isn't that great with say 500 people on a server.
Old 2013-01-10, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #149
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I need action, not talk of announcing the announcement a 6 month plan.
Old 2013-01-10, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #150
Ironside
Corporal

Adding to a weak foundation isn't going to improve anything,
Where's the fully optimised client that uses all cores.
Infantry rendering needs sorting badly.
Base/Towers redesign
Lattice system
Server merging.
Size matters? like fuck it does, they're probably glad servers are half dead, doesn't impact so much on their weak engine/optimisation, shame on them for making us pay to transfer rather than taking a grip of the situation.

So what we get is some limited optimisation and tweaking of xp to try and change the game play, the rest is just froth.

This game could be so good that's the sad thing
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion