Inventory and Resupply (Dropping Ammo) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wanna see my jackhammer? :brow:
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-09, 01:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

Inventory and Resupply (Dropping Ammo)

"I'm a light assault character, so I can actually drop my own ammo"
(About 50 seconds into part 4 of the GDC vids.)

One quick sentence that you might not even have paid that much attention to.

However, I think this is something that could cause some real problems with the game. Part of the challenge/fun of PS1 when you did something away from friendly support was the very fact you had to be smart(ish) with your ammo: Gen drop 2 bases behind the front? You better make those shots count otherwise you might be out of ammo for the next respawn wave or you might not have the cert to use the weapons the enemy drop etc etc (before the massive cert point boost/bundle reduction etc).

Just to clarify a couple points;
1.) Grenades/explosives are going to be 'resource' based expenses, thus limiting their purchase at proper equip terms, correct?
2.) No inventories/pickup weapons on the ground, correct?
3.) Ammo is shared across multiple weapons like PS1 (9mm)?
::EDIT::
4.) Ammo 'bags' are recharging abilities such as BF3's?
5.) Ammo 'bags' have limited resupply capacity?
::/EDIT::

Assuming the above is correct unless stated otherwise I shall continue.

For arguments sake; you've decided to take your group into a region deep behind the frontline, you put the hack on and you setup covering the chokepoints, grenades/explosives give you most bang for your auraxium... but a never ending stream of bullets works a close second.

Obviously being the 'defenders' at this fight you should have the advantage against equal numbers but what happens when you take very little/no attrition (not just casualties but running out of ammo or equipment) for doing so against twice your numbers or even three times your numbers?

Where is the 'reward' for that horde of enemies sending wave after wave against you and keeping you under constant pressure so you couldn't scavenge ammo (if it was old ps) if you now, in PS2, never run out of ammo and they can't break the chokepoints? Taking it to an extreme, if you knew how many people can squeeze through a chokepoint (say 2 at a time) and you knew that 6 people could 'instagib' them (4 firing, 2 reloading etc) then all you'd need to hold off the entire enemy pop is 6x people...

Obviously there's things to consider such as base design/layout etc etc but having unlimited ammo for primary weapon... doesn't sound like a good gameplay mechanic to me in PS2.

Thoughts/Ideas/Counter-points?

Last edited by Bobby Shaftoe; 2012-03-09 at 01:41 AM.
Old 2012-03-09, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Inventory and Resupply (Dropping Ammo)

Just to clarify, I asked higby about this on twitter and he said they may move it onto heavy assault instead.
Old 2012-03-09, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
VanuMAXGuy
Banned

If the ammo bag doesn't give you more ammo bags(HOW DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE?) like BF3, it won't be so bad.
Old 2012-03-09, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Warhound
Corporal

Self replicating ammo bags... my god what has the world spawned!
Old 2012-03-09, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

Ah yes, that's something I missed, is it just the one ammo bag or an 'ability' (bf3's recharge though).

Also would it have a maximum resupply 'capacity' ie it only supplies 10 magazines worth of ammo.

:EDIT:
It's not the fact it's on light assault rather than heavy assault, it's the fact it's in at all.

If you wiped out a wave of resecurers and were low on ammo, you had to leave your nice cover and run over to their backpacks, loot the ammo whilst exposed out in the open, then run back to cover.

Now you just drop a box.
:/EDIT:

Last edited by Bobby Shaftoe; 2012-03-09 at 02:48 AM.
Old 2012-03-09, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
dai shan
Private

I just want to make a general comment about resupply in general

In battlefield games (especially bf3), ammo is seldom very important simply because it's just as easy to rush the enemy, die, and respawn with full ammo.

I never played ps1, but you can pretty much deduce logically that the formula will almost *always* be the same, and when you're out of ammo, the path of least resistance to more ammo will be the one most regularly used.

If it's quicker to just die and respawn in the thick of the fight (like using squad spawning or whatever), than it is to seek out an ammo refill via a squadmate or supply depot of whatever sort, then that's what will usually happen, and the role of being the "supply" guy, whatever class gets it, is devalued.

The same thing applies to health and revives as well.
Old 2012-03-09, 01:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

One thing that confuses me... how often did you run out of ammo in Ps1? I seldom did.
Old 2012-03-09, 02:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
VanuMAXGuy
Banned

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
One thing that confuses me... how often did you run out of ammo in Ps1? I seldom did.
I frequently ran out of Lancer ammo, even with my two Lancers + bag full setup. Hills be OP against tanks, can't get me up here
Old 2012-03-09, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by dai shan View Post
I never played ps1
BF/MW spawn mechanics are really only applicable to the 'zerg' gameplay.

My example was when you were away from major support and had to rely on what you brought with you/had time to setup, router/ams IF possible (they were found quickly most the time anyway).

That was part of the whole challenge, you're behind enemy lines; see how long you can last before you run out of everthing. Now (apparantly) you can die, wait for revive, drop a box of ammo and it's like nothing has actually happened. All thats occured is someone got a +1 on a kill stat, +1 on a death stat and +1 on revive, nothing has advanced in terms of the fight developing.
Old 2012-03-09, 02:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by VanuMAXGuy View Post
If the ammo bag doesn't give you more ammo bags(HOW DOES THAT EVEN MAKE SENSE?) like BF3, it won't be so bad.
nanites

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-03-09, 02:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Would certainly make light assault the class of choice if you can use it in an aircraft, survive bailing out by using your jump jets (Higby said that in one interview) and then have unlimited ammo...
Old 2012-03-09, 02:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
nanites

Nanites
Old 2012-03-09, 02:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by megamold View Post

Nanites
lol i was gonna look for that picture and edit nanites in there, but too much effort.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-03-09, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
megamold
Second Lieutenant

hehe

personally i dont mind the ammo packs, i wouldnt even care if you had a limitless supply of em as long as the pack itself doesnt contain infinite ammo

also: hooray for me! no longer a private !
Old 2012-03-09, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

I don't like the ammo pack...

It's too BFesque.

It was fun in Planetside to have to pay attention to your ammo, and to organise your behind enemy lines moves to make sure you'd have a way to get supplies when needed.

That feeling one had when, during a long skirmish behind enemy lines, you realised that you've wasted too much ammo to kill some guys and that you're going to run out soon...
You knew you were screwed, you might even have been mad at yourself, but that was a Planetside moment. You usually only find that kind of things in (good) survival games.

Now all it takes is a light assault guy, and maybe a cert unlocked, and you can have easy ammo boxes for at least some time. Meh.

Last edited by Sabrak; 2012-03-09 at 03:28 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion