I'm an original PS player from 2003, left just before core expansion- talk to me - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Turning franchised slogans into quotes since 2003!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2010-01-18, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
kabooky
Private

Question I'm an original PS player from 2003, left just before core expansion- talk to me

So, I played this game when it was new in the summer of 2003, I played for the first three months. I didn't like the looks of the core expansion- nor the fact that it was being released so soon after the first game. On top of that- my computer wasn't amazing back then and there were still lag issues.

Anyway- so after a little work I was able to log into station and sure enough I still have an account (I think). I thought I might have been eligible for a free 10-30 days, but this doesn't appear to be true.

I am interested in playing again, especially since my computer should max it out- but also for the nostalgia and great battles. I was a little surprised that as old as this game is the subscription costs haven't gone down.

So with the server mergers, is the game alive at all? Like the good old days with massive battles? I also saw the hints at a Planetside 2 and that makes me pretty excited.

So are there any deals for starting up old accounts- anything special at all? I think I read someone else got some kind of 4 or 5 year "achievement" of service for logging in an old account.
Old 2010-01-22, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Re: I'm an original PS player from 2003, left just before core expansion- talk to me

Originally Posted by kabooky View Post
So, I played this game when it was new in the summer of 2003, I played for the first three months. I didn't like the looks of the core expansion- nor the fact that it was being released so soon after the first game. On top of that- my computer wasn't amazing back then and there were still lag issues.

Anyway- so after a little work I was able to log into station and sure enough I still have an account (I think). I thought I might have been eligible for a free 10-30 days, but this doesn't appear to be true.

I am interested in playing again, especially since my computer should max it out- but also for the nostalgia and great battles. I was a little surprised that as old as this game is the subscription costs haven't gone down.

So with the server mergers, is the game alive at all? Like the good old days with massive battles? I also saw the hints at a Planetside 2 and that makes me pretty excited.

So are there any deals for starting up old accounts- anything special at all? I think I read someone else got some kind of 4 or 5 year "achievement" of service for logging in an old account.

I'm going to put it to you bluntly. PlanetSide is not the game it was in '03 and '04. Neither the scale nor organization of the battles is the same, but rather a dumbed down version of it.

People still play and there are still few outfits left, but nothing like what you remember.

To answer your question about being able to try the game, I'm not sure if there is time or something. You might try asking SOE or searching the forums for links regarding inviting friends back to the game with free time.

You can also make a trial account. Just make a new SOE Station account and log into PlanetSide. You'll get a 7 Days Free Option when it tells you that you aren't subbed.

Thanks, and maybe I'll see you on the battlefield.
Old 2010-01-25, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
kabooky
Private

Re: I'm an original PS player from 2003, left just before core expansion- talk to me

Well, that is pretty much what I expected to hear.

If I get enough free time on my hands this semester and a bit of cash flow- I may very well look into picking this back up for a while. Do you still run in one of the active outfits? If an organized group of even 10-20 were still running operations I'd be plenty interested in flying a gal or something.
Old 2010-02-28, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
caketan
Private

Yeah I'm also thinking of coming back, I played during reserves and I remember it being good fun.
Whats server life like anyway? How big are battles usually, I don't care if it isn't as massive as they were but is it still relatively large?
Old 2010-03-14, 05:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
saariko
Private

Howdy all,

I want to join this thread. I am also an old player from Werner-VS -- AKA: 30MinTech

I started hearing the news on PS2, and just had to check what's going on. I will log tonight, see what exactly is going on, and who/what are playing.

I have a feeling, that if there is anything going on, it will be on the weekend.

Cheers Vanu
Old 2010-03-14, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I tried playing again a year ago, but Vista kept dropping packets (shots not always registering even with no 'lag') somehow. Play it on XP if you can.

Old 2010-03-15, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
saariko
Private

played last night, gave me goose bumps really.
Have also met an old member from original Werner, which was super nice.

My only big issue is that now that the ONLY server is in the US, my ping is ~200 and that really gives me NO ability to do real playing beside support roles (I do not cancel that, as it's pretty important) but real action is important.

I will try and see how it is during the week.
Old 2010-03-21, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Guys if any of you can, post a link up to my new ideas page for PS on the official forums, as I cant due to being un-subbed.

http://sites.google.com/site/planets...deproject/home
Old 2010-04-15, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
XedoeSR
Private

Loved planetside before the BFRs and the tank nerf they gave it thanks to the magmower drivers, you know who you are lol. But seriously, does anyone think that Planetside 2 is for real? I sure hope it is, and I sure hope the do a prequil of it. I would love to see it as a 3 faction again, but wonder what would happen if it were just 2 factions. Because if it were a prequil I think it would be something along the lines of VS & NC against the TR.

I originally started playing this game as a NC and messed around with the TR and VS a little bit. If it came down to just two factions I would go NC again, but focus a second toon as TR simply because I like that chaingun and the tommygun clone that TR get.
Old 2010-05-05, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
ronnburgundy
Private

I'm also a very old player looking to come back ><
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion