PSU: Where sarcasm is taken seriously!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-04-12, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Really
Private

Fitting SLI + sound card + RevoDrive

This is all pretty much speculation to get me through the day but let's assume I actually have this much money... :P

I'm planning on upgrading to IB, a RevoDrive, and a non-reference GTX 680 pretty soon, with the possibility of SLIing two 680's later on. Reasons being: a) I have a shiny new 120Hz monitor and want to run PS2/Guild Wars 2 at 120fps, and b) I'll be doing quite a bit of video recording at 1080p (also hopefully at 120Hz, for awesome slow-mo shots!), which also explains the RevoDrive (huge write speeds needed, and... I like quick things).

My problem is that I already have a PCI-e sound card that I'm pretty set on keeping, and I can't see how I'm going to fit all of this in if I do get a second 680. The non-reference ones (e.g. this one are all looking like they'll be 2.5 slot so even if I get a motherboard with 3 PCI-e slots (like this) I still can't see how it'd all fit. For example, I could put the sound card in the PCI-e x1 slot nearest the CPU, then the two 680's, but there'd still be no room for the RevoDrive.

I've read somewhere about using risers but have no idea what I'd do with the card once it was "risen". Anyone got any ideas to my semi-issue? :P
Old 2012-04-12, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Fitting SLI + sound card + RevoDrive

Have you looked into motherboards yet? I don't see why a Maximus V or other high end boards cannot handle what you are looking for.
Old 2012-04-12, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Really
Private

Don't think the full-sized Maximus V has been announced yet. I guess it'd need an XL-ATX mobo, or maaaybe an E-ATX one, and I can't find many available yet, but then it is early days for Z77 so maybe I should keep looking.
Thanks Goku.
Old 2012-04-12, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

First off before going out and buying the non reference that are basically taking up 3 slots I recommend waiting to see what comes out for the standard two slot design. MSI will likely come out with a lightning version of the card and thats only 2 slots, so you will not have any issues with spacing that way. Those cards are always built up far above the reference design. EVGA maybe coming out with a classified soon that is 2 slots and is similar to the lighting as well.

I just do not know if that 2.5 slot spacing on that Palit card will still give you the proper spacing to put in another device right next to it with the slot below it. May cause interference issues is all.

Play around and see if you can fit everything on this EVGA board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188099
Old 2012-04-12, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Really
Private

Yeah I'm not planning on buying until we have a better idea of beta/release dates for PS2, by that time hopefully there'll be more non reference cards out which would make all the problems disappear!

Is there a way you can play around with it without buying it? I don't know dimensions and stuff lol :P
Old 2012-04-12, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I mean just using your imagination to see if you can fit everything on the board from looking at the picture lol.
Old 2012-04-12, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Really
Private

Haha that's what I've been trying to do, the final bit of GPU fan always hangs over the final PCI-e slot in my head
Old 2012-04-12, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Indeed. That EVGA mobo is the one with the most pcie slots so it would be best to base it off that. Thee should be a similar one with that many slots for the z77
Old 2012-04-12, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Really
Private

So I'm inches away from clicking buy on this (Gigabyte GTX680 Windforce) because it's somehow cheaper than reference boards and got a pretty good review on Guru3d... I almost think the price is too good to be true, and there's a week before they get stock so it could change. Before I bite the bullet, what does everyone reckon: get it now, or wait for more non-ref (like the EVGA FTW version) to be released? Bearing in mind they'll probably be about £70 more expensive!
Old 2012-04-12, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
termhn
Sergeant

Looks pretty damn good to me, but then again I haven't really been following the 680 release, so yeah. I wish I could afford one of those, but that's more expensive than my whole build

Embrace the Shadows.
Old 2012-04-12, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

DO IT!!
Old 2012-04-13, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Really
Private

Did it!

Then about 30 minutes later this appeared on the OcUK forums:

Hi there

Bad news - Gigabyte messed up, they sent me setup and product codes for the OC card, but in reality they've sold me reference and that is what is shipping. So no OC WindForce 680's coming next week and price is higher.

Good news - Those who have pre-ordered, shall be honored at the price you ordered, stock is due end of the month.

Sorry guys and Gigabyte apologise too.
So it'll arrive a bit late, but at least they're honouring the price! /winning
Old 2012-04-13, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Ocuk is a great store.
Old 2012-04-13, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
termhn
Sergeant

Nice

Embrace the Shadows.
Old 2012-04-18, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Really
Private

Just found a bigger problem: barely any boards have enough PCIe lanes to support x16/x16/x4/x1

Reckon it's gonna have to be an expensive as-yet-unreleased jobby... oh well, I need to rebuild funds anyway
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum