News: Chinese Interview with John Smedley - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: my last quote what should I put?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #151
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Re: Chinese Interview with John Smedley

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
That's pure aesthetic though. As long as it stays that way I doubt many people care. Like I said earlier, pink jackhammers and Bags wants Ponyhammers. That shoot rainbows.
Here's where I think we can make it work.

1) Gun X has 100 damage with a 1 second reload time with a range of 200 yards. It is sold for 1000 Station Cash. This is currently in the store only

2) At the same time Gun Y has 80 damage with a .75 second second reload time and a range of 225 yards. This is currently in the game only and is a rare drop (yes you read that part right). It is NOT available in the store.

3) 2 weeks later we switch them up. We are constantly rotating. a month after release we make sure everything ends up in the drop rotation

Please let me make sure I'm clear here - this is just an idea. we are having some epic debates about this stuff in house. It's a lot of fun to debate actually because we make games for a living but we also play everything out there.

Also add color to the mix of the above and some colors we keep store only.

Also most cosmetic stuff we keep store only.

At no point are we selling power here. We're selling variety. Specifically what we would like to do is to sell you viable alternatives to stuff you get in game. If you're a range sniper maybe we have something special for you in the store. If you're a damage sniper maybe there's a drop in game right now.

You get the picture I hope.

We are never selling "Supergun X that has better everything". That's not going to happen. There will be a level playing field at all times.

(minor edit because I realized I didn't have the gun variables right)

Last edited by Smed; 2011-09-08 at 04:19 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #152
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
It kind of sounds like you will be able to pay to shortcut your way towards a weapon cert, which would normally take half a year of unlocking to get. Which is a cool thing, since you can then improve other, more practical certs.

I wonder, though... Would the cash shop gun be unlocked forever for $5 (like in TF2), or "leased" (like in APB), for instance for $1 per month...

If you're not planning on selling new content (like new continents) as expansions, the "buy forever" approach may end up leaving nothing to drain money out of veteran players with.
A good question

In general I'm not a big fan of leasing weapons. I see this done in other games and I don't much like it. There could be some stuff we sell that has a timer on it though if we're trying to give players options to a sub (note that we may offer a sub of some kind that gives a package of stuff but isn't neccessary to get but could offer you things like faster skill training for the month.. but you could also buy an item that gives you the same thing).

In terms of the buy forever approach.. the assumption is the game evolves and we add all kinds of new cool stuff. I've said all along I want to see player owned bases.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #153
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Smed View Post

1) Gun X has 100 damage with a 1 second reload time with a range of 200 yards. It is sold for 1000 Station Cash. This is currently in the store only

2) At the same time Gun Y has 80 damage with a 1.25 second reload time and a range of 150 yards. This is currently in the game only and is a rare drop (yes you read that part right). It is NOT available in the store.

3) 2 weeks later we switch them up. We are constantly rotating. a month after release we make sure everything ends up in the drop rotation

Please let me make sure I'm clear here - this is just an idea. we are having some epic debates about this stuff in house. It's a lot of fun to debate actually because we make games for a living but we also play everything out there.

At no point are we selling power here. We're selling variety. Specifically what we would like to do is to sell you viable alternatives to stuff you get in game. If you're a range sniper maybe we have something special for you in the store. If you're a damage sniper maybe there's a drop in game right now.

We are never selling "Supergun X that has better everything". That's not going to happen. There will be a level playing field at all times.
Are those guns supposed to be variants of each other? The one in store totally out classes the one currently being dropped. How is that not "buying power"?
Old 2011-09-08, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #154
MgFalcon
Captain

2) At the same time Gun Y has 80 damage with a 1.25 second reload time and a range of 150 yards. This is currently in the game only and is a rare drop (yes you read that part right). It is NOT available in the store.
Is there also a chance for a Sword of 1000 Truth's?

But seriously, I'm loving what I'm hearing so far! Can't wait!
Old 2011-09-08, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #155
Raymac
Brigadier General

Drops? hmmm ok.

Old 2011-09-08, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #156
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Who will be "dropping" these guns?

I hope it's not aliens....
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #157
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Are those guns supposed to be variants of each other? The one in store totally out classes the one currently being dropped. How is that not "buying power"?
sorry. serious mistype. my apologies. I fixed it.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #158
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Who will be "dropping" these guns?

I hope it's not aliens....
no (well maybe 2 years from now if we add them they could drop stuff too).
Old 2011-09-08, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #159
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

sorry. serious mistype. my apologies. I fixed it.
Cool thanks. Looks much better now.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #160
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
They will switch them so the gun that was in the store is now a drop, and the gun that was a drop is now in the store. Sounds like an interesting mechanic. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

(edited to try to remove snootyness and update from mistype. Sorry Goku)

Last edited by Raymac; 2011-09-08 at 04:32 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #161
Shogun
Contributor
General

selling weapons with different stats store only is a very bad thing. no matter if its not the uber weapon. every diversity that affects playstyle should be available to every player. i´m fine with rare drops or merit requirements for the free versions, and im fine with every exclusive cosmetics.

and xp boosts for money are ok, too. pretty standard in f2p and a legit moneymaker
Old 2011-09-08, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #162
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Because if you read it all, you see that they will switch them so the gun that WAS in the store is now a drop, and the gun that WAS a drop is now in the store. Sounds like an interesting mechanic. Looking forward to seeing how it works.
Double check what he just put in. Mistype he said. I ninja'd you too .

Last edited by Goku; 2011-09-08 at 04:28 PM.
Old 2011-09-08, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #163
FIREk
Captain

thanks for answering. Now, I'm sure the answer to my next concern is "Forgelight is awesome", but when I read about all this custom stuff available for cash, I'm left thinking:
"If I'm on the same battlefield with 50 players around me, and all of them have a bunch of vanity items on them, will I have to drop my visuals to the lowest setting to get decent framerates?".
Old 2011-09-08, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #164
bjorntju1
Captain

*When* the beta happens (i.e. when it's ready) it will most likely start with an English beta.. that doesn't mean NA only though with other languages and locales to follow. Let us get the beta ready first. We have a ways to go.
All right thanks for your reply!
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-08, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
thanks for answering. Now, I'm sure the answer to my next concern is "Forgelight is awesome", but when I read about all this custom stuff available for cash, I'm left thinking:
"If I'm on the same battlefield with 50 players around me, and all of them have a bunch of vanity items on them, will I have to drop my visuals to the lowest setting to get decent framerates?".
We've got this
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion