Ridiculous lag!! Please help! :( - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Submiting something witty since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-12, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
XxRamboJuniorxX
Private

Re: Ridiculous lag!! Please help! :(

Originally Posted by IRSAudit View Post

So I was standing in this small room I mentioned getting 70fps, fooling with the settings. I went from full screen, to Windowed, and then back to full screen. Actually I think I cycled through the three options for full screen and then back to full screen. My fps jumped to 100 for about 30 seconds, and then held steady in the low 80s. After that everything situation seemed to get about 10-20 more fps for the next half hour, with it slowly dwindling back down to the rates I had previously been seeing.

The only thing I know is that I had never seen 100fps in PS2 before, of that I'm sure.
I will definitely try this next time I log in and play, and will post my results here after :]
Old 2012-10-12, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
noermel
Private

hm, strange
Old 2012-10-12, 04:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

The original ps1 used to have the same problems after each patch. I dont know exactly why, but it just seems the more you try to tweak settings, the game just doesn't like it.
My solutions has been to log out, delete the User Options file in your ps2 beta folder, then relaunch any time you change anything and especially after each patch. The game will relaunch with settings on medium by default. You can change this to low or high from then , exit and relaunch.
Other than that it may be down to AMD or even ram, but the game definately seems to run better the less you change settings. It's almost as though it works off default settings, then realises its not default for flora, has to recalculate to put that into the equation, then realises that render distance is higher, and recalculates again, ad nausium.

I think calculations per area need to be sorted out somehow to what you can actually see. You can see silly triangles through hillsides, drive to the other side of that hill and realise those triangles are in a tower behind a base behind that hill you just drove around. Your pc is calculating what they are doing, interacting with and making calculations for all those as well as anything else in between and within the same radius. Thats huge unnecessary load, made worse in busier areas.
Old 2012-10-12, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
musefrog
Corporal

Originally Posted by XxRamboJuniorxX View Post

If this is the case, then how much do you guys think that my performance will increase if I upgrade to this processor?

To: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Or should I stick to an AMD brand processor? And if so, which model would you recommend that is around the same price range as the Intel one I posted above?

and do you think RAM would make that much of a difference? Or is 5GB RAM enough?
You can't switch from an AMD processor to an Intel processor without also changing your motherboard, so stick with AMD unless you can afford a new motherboard too.

In terms of Intel, the chip you listed is also 4-core - it'd be worth boosting up to a six core if you want the game to definitely run well.

The AMD Phenom II X6 1045T would be a good bet - that's the very one I've got my eye on. £95 from Amazon in the UK at the moment. Don't go for one of the Bulldozers - apart from being socket AM3+ and thus probably not compatible with your existing motherboard, they have a terrible reputation for being underpowered.

In terms of RAM you may be okay.
Old 2012-10-12, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Jaybonaut
First Sergeant

That 6770 is a cheap graphics solution - and doesn't meet their recommended specs - if I recall they say to get a 500 series or higher card, and according to this, your card is worse than a 400 series, coming in at number 70.
Old 2012-10-12, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
XxRamboJuniorxX
Private

Originally Posted by Jaybonaut View Post
That 6770 is a cheap graphics solution - and doesn't meet their recommended specs - if I recall they say to get a 500 series or higher card, and according to this, your card is worse than a 400 series, coming in at number 70.
So would you recomend that I upgrade the graphics card, or upgrade the processor if I had to choose one?
Old 2012-10-12, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Jaybonaut
First Sergeant

Here ya go.
Old 2012-10-13, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
XxRamboJuniorxX
Private

Sweet, thank you for those system requirements.

and now I will look definitely look into buying a new processor and a new Graphics card

I was thinking:

Processor:
-Phenom II X6 1045T

GPU:
-Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB

(And for those of you who are interested)
I found a little "fix" that will help a good amount of your frame rate if your game is absolutely unplayable

1. Go into the directory where Planetside "LaunchPad" is located
2. Inside that directory look for a file named "UserOptions" (It will be a .config file)
3. Open the file with 'NotePad' or another similar program.
4. In the UserOptions file, under the [Rendering] section you will see "RenderDistance=-1" (It is set to -1 by default)
I have learned that -1 one just means that it's pretty much infinitely rendered around you, which is a huge contribution to your lag.
5. Change the Number "-1" to something such as "1500" or "1800" or something similar to that. The distance is measured in meters I believe, and doing this little fix could boost your FPS by 10-15 frames or more (It did it for me)

Last edited by XxRamboJuniorxX; 2012-10-13 at 08:46 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion