Customization Woes - Page 14 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You can't teach a gay dog straight tricks.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-07, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #196
Toppopia
Major

Re: Customization Woes

My only concern is will skins override the primary color and stop me from telling the enemy apart from my own people?

If not then everyone should beable to buy whatever skin they want and no one should be able to turn it off, because this is an MMO, people have to beable to try to show their uniqueness somehow.
Old 2012-05-07, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #197
Raka Maru
Major

Empires should have their own distinct color pallet. Colors that the other empires cannot use in any customization tools.

For example, cash shop sells shark tooth nose or infil pinup girl. Allow name and font for girls name or shark with ES colors.
Old 2012-05-07, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #198
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Noivad View Post
WoW - you people sound like a bunch of girls at a fashion show. oh my that purple is too bright, the blue and gold clash with my camo shirt. lol. this is one of the funniest posts yet. Does not matter what color anyone is. SOE has made the Uniforms look different so you can tell even if your color blind. If the person is, the more colorful, the easy he will be to spot and kill. So if you don't like seeing a paticular color on the enemy kill that one first. The you won't have to see him. Besides the NC are nothing but a rag tag collection of rebels. Some of them don't eben have uniforms. And the VS. Why they are the geeks of the game. haven't ya ever seen how geeks dress - OMG - LOL.
Now the TR - well they always look good in Uniform. That red - grey and black is very distinctive. Oh and then don't forget that Outfits will be able to customize their uniforms so you know who you are fighting or fighting alongside. but keep up this entertaining thread its been entertaining. Thanks
Heheheh... Was thinking this at first before I went through everything here and finally posted. But TBH, it is a big thing to customize in a world with thousands or millions of players.

Things I'd like to get/see to name a few:
Permanent burns or bullet holes on my vehicles. (skin layer?)
Torn off sleeves.
Scars.
Bandanna.
Cigarettes.
Shark/wolf head/teeth for aircraft/ATV
Cracked visor or bullet hole on helm.
Infil pinup girl on side of aircraft or sundie.

Depends on which char I'm playing... Sorry, got off topic of OP, but wanted to say, I want to customize with skins and they are important. Will not purchase any tho if they are toggleable by the world.
Old 2012-05-07, 06:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #199
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Ahh man my dude needs a fat stogie.
Old 2012-05-07, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #200
Squiffy
Private

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
I agree, I don't want to see someone in rainbow camo and giant red clown shoes.
This is exactly what worries me. How far is customisation going to go? As stated, we're not in yet to see but the ability to differentiate squads on the battlefield is quite exciting to me. We all experienced a strong loyalty to and pride in our outfits before. For me, a high level of custom effects (without losing the faction base look) is highly desirable. TF2 for me has taken it too far. I know that they are "comic" characters but I actually found all the hats appearing annoying. I felt that the devs had basically got as far with the game as possible and added this in for something to prove their worth.

Last edited by Squiffy; 2012-05-07 at 07:04 AM.
Old 2012-05-07, 07:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #201
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

TF2 hats is how they are making any money off of that free game. Without a purchase price and without a subscription fee there has to be a way to make money. Hopefully OS2 will provide a huge selection of great high quality skins.
Old 2012-05-07, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #202
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Ahh man my dude needs a fat stogie.
I second this ^
Old 2012-05-07, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #203
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

I find it disappointing that so many say they would be unwilling to buy skins simply because others paid for the option to hide them. It seems very petty and selfish. I simply cannot understand the reasoning behind so vehemently wanting to force something so pointless onto others for no reason. I dislike what customization has the potential to become, and would simply like to give players options, but it's the ones who are against the idea who really come off as the "bunch of girls at a fashion show", as they just can't stand the idea that they won't look like a special snowflake on everyone's screen. Nevermind that they will still look special to the people who do also care about the skins they've chosen. No, even those who dislike them should be forced to deal with it.

Planetside, to me, is supposed to feel like three vast, serious, and distinctly uniformed armies duking it out. I don't want to feel like I'm grouped up with a bunch of clowns in a rainbow of colors. I want to be part of a distinct, impressive warmachine. Too much customization and it'll just be TF2 in space, but not nearly as clever and ten times as gaudy.
Old 2012-05-07, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #204
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by LostAlgorithm View Post
I find it disappointing that so many say they would be unwilling to buy skins simply because others paid for the option to hide them. It seems very petty and selfish. I simply cannot understand the reasoning behind so vehemently wanting to force something so pointless onto others for no reason. I dislike what customization has the potential to become, and would simply like to give players options, but it's the ones who are against the idea who really come off as the "bunch of girls at a fashion show", as they just can't stand the idea that they won't look like a special snowflake on everyone's screen. Nevermind that they will still look special to the people who do also care about the skins they've chosen. No, even those who dislike them should be forced to deal with it.

Seriously. People enjoy the game for a multitude of reasons. Everyone has their own view of what the game is supposed to be like and how to enjoy it. Deal with it.

Belittling those that disagree with you isn't a good way to get your argument heard. We are all tempted to do so because we defend what our view of the game is, but in the end it hurts you and the game more than it helps.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-05-07 at 06:06 PM.
Old 2012-05-07, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #205
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post

Seriously. People enjoy the game for a multitude of reasons. Everyone has their own view of what the game is supposed to be like and how to enjoy it. Deal with it.

Belittling those that disagree with you isn't a good way to get your argument heard. We are all tempted to do so because we defend what our view of the game is, but in the end it hurts you and the game more than it helps.
That's the thing though, I'm not asking for people to stop liking what I dislike. I'm just asking them to let me have my fun too. I won't be impressed by your special armor, so there is zero harm in it. The only people I see harming the game here are those who are unwilling to even ponder accepting an option to give players more control purely because they won't be able to shove their "uniqueness" in everyone's faces.
Old 2012-05-07, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #206
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

That's the thing though, I'm not asking for people to stop liking what I dislike. I'm just asking them to let me have my fun too. I won't be impressed by your special armor, so there is zero harm in it. The only people I see harming the game here are those who are unwilling to even ponder accepting an option to give players more control purely because they won't be able to shove their "uniqueness" in everyone's faces.
Yeah, you are. You are saying our way of fun interferes with your way of fun. So you would like to shut us out. All the while calling us childish, selfish, vain, and petty.
Old 2012-05-07, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #207
Kipper
Captain

At risk of repeating myself (again).

The fact that another individual does or does not see a customised skin is not the point of argument. We won't know if you see it or not, just like we won't know if you saw us in the heat of battle or not even if it was switched on.

The fact is that knowing that people CAN turn them off makes them less valuable as a product, which means they'll either not be bought, or expected to be bought for less than otherwise.

You paying for the option to turn it off will not generate the same income as someone who customises often - that is fact. Not unless you buy every item that you want to turn off, but you already said "that could get mighty expensive" - no shit! Coincidentally, it would be about as expensive as it will be for people who buy them to use - in which case, that would be reasonable.

People who customise and invest money into the game will play more often and stay active players for longer because of the personal attachment, sorry, but they are the people who are going to get looked after because they are the people keeping the game alive.
Old 2012-05-07, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #208
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Yeah, you are. You are saying our way of fun interferes with your way of fun. So you would like to shut us out. All the while calling us childish, selfish, vain, and petty.
It does interfere with my way of fun, but this whole thread I've been pushing for an option that would work for both of us.

And yes, I do believe the perspective of those against the idea only because they wouldn't be able to show off to people that either don't care or don't want to be shown off to is a childish one.

If an option to pay for the ability to hide them exists, and they buy it, then it's very petty, selfish, and nonsensical to say that you've lost something as a result of that choice. All it means is that a player who didn't want to see your stuff in the first place can't, and he supported the game to have that ability. It's won't change your experience in the slightest, it'll only help improve the overall game itself.
Old 2012-05-07, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #209
LostAlgorithm
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
You paying for the option to turn it off will not generate the same income as someone who customises often - that is fact. Not unless you buy every item that you want to turn off, but you already said "that could get mighty expensive" - no shit! Coincidentally, it would be about as expensive as it will be for people who buy them to use - in which case, that would be reasonable.

People who customise and invest money into the game will play more often and stay active players for longer because of the personal attachment, sorry, but they are the people who are going to get looked after because they are the people keeping the game alive.
I have the same personal attachment to the regular Empire colors, and will certainly buy customizations that fit within them. You keep separating the players out into those who will use the option and those who won't, and assume that the ones who hide stuff won't still buy customizations and other add-ons. It's an incorrect way to look at it.

The people who don't care to see your skins don't factor into the value of the product anyway. If anything, they'll just ignore you, meaning it might as well have been turned off. The value is already decreased because Joe Schmoe who dislikes it just won't pay attention to it or will be turned off from the game as a result of it.

Last edited by LostAlgorithm; 2012-05-07 at 07:13 PM.
Old 2012-05-07, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #210
Kipper
Captain

It's won't change your experience in the slightest, it'll only help improve the overall game itself.
you're right, it won't change the in game experience - it will however, change how much someone is willing to pay for customisations and how often they'll buy them. Why don't you start a poll and find out if that's true?

Also, you keep talking about yourself - how you'll use this option were it available. You may well use it sparingly, but what of the people who will pay once, turn everything off and never buy anything again?

Stop thinking individually and try to think in terms of what happens across very large numbers of people.

Last edited by Kipper; 2012-05-08 at 03:47 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion