Eyefinity and Surround Vision Support? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I am the most intelligence person here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-10, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Re: Eyefinity and Surround Vision Support?

Originally Posted by CeCeMyPlaymate View Post

Computer gaming has forever been a technological arms race. Does not appear to be changing in the near future either.
this.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
ratfusion
Corporal

Planetside 1 worked perfectly with my NVsurround setup. Every major MMO supports customizable huds and multi-monitor.

On top of that, their model game they want to steal customers from, BF3, is an example of excellent multi-monitor support.

I'll be shocked and really disappointed if this game does not work perfectly with multimonitor.
Old 2012-06-10, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Novacane
Private

Originally Posted by ratfusion View Post
Planetside 1 worked perfectly with my NVsurround setup. Every major MMO supports customizable huds and multi-monitor.

On top of that, their model game they want to steal customers from, BF3, is an example of excellent multi-monitor support.

I'll be shocked and really disappointed if this game does not work perfectly with multimonitor.
Yeah, to my knowledge, you don't have to do anything special for multi-monitor (other than have the right hardware) and for that matter 3D if you had the correct monitors. I still don't see how this would ever give anyone an advantage, its just cool tech. Call me old school but I personally can't stand 3d in its current form and usually stick to one monitor for gameplay and the others for VoIP, music, browser, tools, etc.. I like to play in maximized windowed mode so even if there was built-in support for multi-monitor, like for say, a continent map or stats or something, I probably wouldn't use it unless it was extremely useful. We have the iPad app for that anyway
Old 2012-06-10, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

i love my eyefinity setup,i just hope they set it up so you can render 3 screens separately
Old 2012-06-11, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ieyasu View Post
lol the part when you complained about the associated costs. I dont know you, but I know from your previous post that 1. you didnt know the actual associated costs with getting a multi monitor setup running and 2. that you dont have enough to have one now.

why wait till the fall to pick up ips monitors again? does your ips having better colors or faster response time give you an unfair advantage over someoene with a 5 year old lcd with 10ms response? As I said before the people who tend to be opposed to these things are usually the ones who cannot afford to run them themselves. I for example run 3 monitors and wouldnt mind in the least if someone else wanted to run 6.
the cost is cheap if you want to run multi monitor with ATI,not so cheap though if you want to run NVIDIA
Old 2012-06-11, 01:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Roidster View Post
the cost is cheap if you want to run multi monitor with ATI,not so cheap though if you want to run NVIDIA
I was just trying to illustrate the point that you can do it for well under 1k. with regards to pc gaming thats actually relatively cheap as I can recall paying 800$ for a 20" 1600x1200 monitor not too many years ago.

for what its worth though, you could take 2 gtx 460s (I can find them for 110$ brand new online atm) and throw some monitors together and be running at playable frame rates for under 600$. you wont be running high levels of aa or turning on all the bells and whistles but like most things in life you get what you pay for.

Old 2012-06-11, 02:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

I was a little butthurt yesterday and may have over reacted on this.. :P All I wanted to say was that.. I think in a competetive game like this, unfair advatadges should be avioded if possible.. these "luxury items" are best suited in tech demo games in single player mode.

However I must admit it would be kind of lame if they didn't took the game to it's full potential. Doesn't mean I for it, mind you. Just that... meh, ok. ;P
Old 2012-06-11, 02:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Daimond
Private

The cost to run an ATI setup just for the cards is about half the cost, even more if you are looking for just running it with 1 card, like ATI. Otherwise you need 2 cards for NVidia unless you dish out like 1k for their new card

I do hope though that the game supports 2+ cards though, as not many games do right now. and it’s a cheaper way to get a little more out of some old cards for some, that just can’t afford upgrading to a newer one. Not to mention uses 86 and 64 OSes, I can’t stand games now a days that are PC only and release with 32bit, waste of computer hard ware, since 32 bit only uses less than 4 gig of ram.

Just as said before though, just like in the beginning people made a stink about us guys running widescreen over others. Then a few years later it was standard. It will be the same thing with this, all games are going this rout. To no put this in to a game now a days and trying to add it later is just asking for trouble when this thing goes live.

But people that always debate the advantage over others not running 3 monitors, have never played on a setup like that. You don’t even really pay much attention to the other monitors, unless you’re not in battle. 80% the time if you do catch something out of the corner of your eye you may have enough time to see the projectile in its full glory kill you lol.
There was nothing like flying through the trees on PS1 seeing them wipe past the sides of the reaver to immerses you in the moment.
Old 2012-06-11, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Ieyasu
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
I was a little butthurt yesterday and may have over reacted on this.. :P All I wanted to say was that.. I think in a competetive game like this, unfair advatadges should be avioded if possible.. these "luxury items" are best suited in tech demo games in single player mode.

However I must admit it would be kind of lame if they didn't took the game to it's full potential. Doesn't mean I for it, mind you. Just that... meh, ok. ;P
I think ratfusion made a couple very good points with regards to his mentioning BF3 supporting multi monitor setups (and it appears to be doing quite well for itself) and pretty much every big name MMO on the market today.

while the combat in a mmorpg is clearly a bit of a different beast than what we are facing here in Planetside2 there is still an advantage to be gained from the extra screen real estate and MMORPGs with robust pvp elements havent seemed to suffer from some users making use of available tech from what Ive been able to tell.

for myself I see some of the communities resistance to multi monitor setups and I cant help but to look into the past (been gaming online since 98) and see all the similarities when people were opposed to widescreen monitors, multi button mice with macros, positional audio, the list goes on and on. As has been said previously in this thread if people are looking for a completely even playing field then head over to the console side of the fence. We could avoid the unfair advantage of one person having a 7.1 surround headset and next guy playing with laptop speakers by forcing the game to use stereo sound, but why lessen the game because some people dont want to shell out the money for the surround sound setup?
Old 2012-06-11, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

I think ratfusion made a couple very good points with regards to his mentioning BF3 supporting multi monitor setups (and it appears to be doing quite well for itself) and pretty much every big name MMO on the market today.

while the combat in a mmorpg is clearly a bit of a different beast than what we are facing here in Planetside2 there is still an advantage to be gained from the extra screen real estate and MMORPGs with robust pvp elements havent seemed to suffer from some users making use of available tech from what Ive been able to tell.

for myself I see some of the communities resistance to multi monitor setups and I cant help but to look into the past (been gaming online since 98) and see all the similarities when people were opposed to widescreen monitors, multi button mice with macros, positional audio, the list goes on and on. As has been said previously in this thread if people are looking for a completely even playing field then head over to the console side of the fence. We could avoid the unfair advantage of one person having a 7.1 surround headset and next guy playing with laptop speakers by forcing the game to use stereo sound, but why lessen the game because some people dont want to shell out the money for the surround sound setup?
Yeah a lot of people made a lot of good points.. and like said, I was just not in a good mood yesterday. So... meh, okay.
Old 2012-06-11, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Whatever. Like I said, by the time the game comes out, I'll have the option of running Surround. And if the game supports wide FOVs, I'll do so.

But I'm more interested in the overall health and success of the game -- and the primary metric for both of those is playerbase. More players means full servers with a lot of action instead of ghost towns that aren't fun to play. More players means more microtransactions for SOE, which gives us more content updates, more often because the game will support a larger development team. More players is better.

So if limiting the FOV to 90 degrees means the game gains and keeps more players because the impression is that it's seeking a competitive, but fair playing field? I'm behind that 100%, even though I'm one of the people who could be "hurt" by it. Remember, whether it's an advantage or not isn't the issue -- the issue is ALWAYS whether the gaming population *perceives* it as an advantage.
Old 2012-06-11, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Dloan
Private

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
Whatever. Like I said, by the time the game comes out,
So if limiting the FOV to 90 degrees means the game gains and keeps more players because the impression is that it's seeking a competitive, but fair playing field?
Sounds completely ridiculous to me that someone wouldn't play a game because it supports 3 monitors. However, what will turn off people in droves is unbalanced gameplay and weapons, not the possibility that their opponant has surround sound or a high precision mouse with on the fly adjustible sensitivity etc etc.
Old 2012-06-11, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

for what its worth though, you could take 2 gtx 460s (I can find them for 110$ brand new online atm) and throw some monitors together and be running at playable frame rates for under 600$. you wont be running high levels of aa or turning on all the bells and whistles but like most things in life you get what you pay for.
my ATI 6850 was $149 plus tax,the 2 monitors i added were ACER V243H were 167 bucks all in for each,1 active display port 35 bucks open box,all prices Canadian,with 15% tax,in iRacing i render 3 screens separately with everything on high,AF 16x AA 4x,and no shadow volumes,with a FOV that goes from 45 to 179.,i see frames from anywhere from 60 to 110 ,depending on what track im lowest at oval,highest at road courses

PS2 i know is going to tax my video card,once you start adding players,tracers and explosions

biggest thing for me,is the stretch o vision curse that comes with multi monitors and FPS games,this is why a lot of people are asking,if PS 2 will support it,if they are going to do it,then do it right
like in iRacing,we have a FOV calculator,the option to render 3 screens separately,what angle your side monitors sit to your front monitor,how big your monitors are with and without the bezels.

when you put all that info in,it makes a huge difference in the way the game looks,and thats kinda what im hoping Planetside 2 will do
Old 2012-06-11, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

There is a huge difference between surround sound and Eyefinity.

With Surround sound, you are hearing someone's exact direction, while with normal setups you are hearing their general direction(which is often enough). With Eyefinity, you are seeing things when other people will not see them, and with normal setups they will not see what you see unless they think to look in that direction.

If they support multiple monitors, I hope that the extent of it would be a minimap or overland map on your second screen.

Last edited by Otleaz; 2012-06-11 at 05:08 PM.
Old 2012-06-11, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
james
Sergeant Major

Bud i think you confused surround sound with Nvidia Surround Vision.

I would be shocked if it didn't come with Surround Vision.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion