controllers for planetside 2 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Scratching that itch no one else would touch.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-07, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

Re: controllers for planetside 2

the mouse and keyboard is great for point and shoot targeting and aiming, but i feel like the new dynamics of flight, the "realistic" flight, it may be a bit difficult to combat a fast maneuvering pilot with a mouse that runs out of desk space compared to a controller or joystick that simply has to hold down the angle of the stick.

and as stated, some people are simply better with controllers than a mouse/keyboard. they may have been raised on consoles, or just have had more practice on them, or as also stated are simply more comfortable with them. personally my first game was at the age of 4-5 and it was doom, and all i had was the keyboard...admittidly it wasnt a complicated game, but still. doesnt mean i can play with just a keyboard anymore, but i personally am more comfortable playing FPS infantry combat with a mouse/keyboard than a controller.

as for the vehicles, i can maybe see the ground vehicles being fairly easy to carry over from mouse/keyboard to a controller, and again, skill and accuracy and what not is all preference and differs person to person. again, personally i think the mouse keyboard is better, but i started online gaming with bf2 on pc.

air vehicles... i have no idea how they control, so i cant say what would be best. i plan on using a joystick since i played BF3 on consoles and am used to aiming with an analog stick, and a larger joystick will give more precision (for me) than the controller as well as throttle control that doesnt hinder aiming and shooting (used triggers for speed, both sticks for maneuvers and shoulder button for firing, meant i had to stop adjusting speed in order to fire/ use countermeasures)

with the aircraft lifting and decending vertically, and not sure how the controls will be, i am not sure whether using a controller will be a good idea or not. i figure it will mix a helicopter and a jet and will require buttons for ascend, descend, forward, backward/brake, as well as yaw (looking left/right), roll (rolling left/right) and pitch (looking up/down), plus weapon fire, switch etc. with a controller, how the developers (or you) will make your controller handle ascend/descend, forward/reverse as well as roll, yaw and pitch seems a bit much. perhaps left stick for forward/brake/reverse and yaw while left stick is roll and pitch and the triggers/ shoulder buttons control lift and firing primary/secondary weapons.

that seems like what i would do should i use a controller for flight, but i think id prefer having the spread of a $20-$40 stick, with a specific throttle control and buttons i can asign lift to while the stick controls my maneuvering. but again, its all preference, matt higby said he was using a high end joystick with throttle control and rudder pedals.

TL;DR- yes controllers/ joysticks will be supported and its all preference, some plus/minus/reasons of using controllers vs mouse/keyboard vs joystick (flight)

Last edited by Duskguy; 2012-08-07 at 01:07 AM.
Old 2012-08-07, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Rasui
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
No need to get so defensive, especially with such an ambiguous post that could be interpreting "PC shooters" as referring to FPS games in general (which is the common assumption).

Be more specific next time and don't berate the OP asking for honest help.
Ignoring that I would be totally justified being "defensive" towards the clown that said 'hey everyone point and laugh at this guy'. You're the one that picked the fight. You're the one making the assumptions. You didn't even have to respond to my post. Especially considering I technically did answer his question. Now you're just backpedaling and deflecting because I called you out.

Next time do us all a favor and suppress your E-knight reflex will you?

Last edited by Rasui; 2012-08-07 at 01:27 AM.
Old 2012-08-07, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
IAMDANIEL
Private

i have a freind that has 1 hand and plays fps on the pc with keyboard and mouse. he has one hand on the mouse and one foot on the keyboard. hes ripped all the buttons out of the keyboard he didnt need and custom bound everything to his likeing. its impressive and inspirational.
Old 2012-08-07, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
kuukl
Private

Console FPS games have aim assist whereas PC ones don't. Anyone trying to play infantry on a controller is going to have a bad time.
Old 2012-08-07, 10:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

Is it possible to keep a controller plugged in for the vehicles but still use a keyboard and mouse for infantry?
Old 2012-08-07, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Envenom
Sergeant Major

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...hlight=gamepad

Last edited by Envenom; 2012-08-07 at 10:45 AM.
Old 2012-08-07, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Tuoweit
Private

For those carpal tunnel sufferers... I used to get pains in my hands (sometimes my keyboard hand, sometimes my mouse hand) during/after gaming sessions, until I moved my keyboard and mouse down, a few years back. Now I keep my keyboard on my lap, and have my mouse at around elbow height on a small side table. No more pain, unless I play like 12 hours straight or something equally ridiculous I shouldn't be doing anyways
Old 2012-12-25, 02:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
SnowieOwl
Private

One mention of the Nostromo or similar? I find it funny how it seems like it's M/K or gamepad are the only options in so many PC gamers' minds. Buy a mouse? Why don't they buy actual gaming equipment instead of the desktop tools they had lying around their computer? ;P The mouse is great for many things, including most gaming. The keyboard has a lot of keys but WASD is an awful kludge. Want to move to something somewhere between 0 and 45 degrees ahead of you? Compensate with the mouse until you are looking directly at it and then directly move forward. It's something you do without thinking about it but it's still limiting to have to use the mouse as a crutch to control aim AND movement.

It might not mean that big of a difference in a FPS but then again, neither do fancy graphics. It's simply more enjoyable. Eight-direction, one-speed-fits-all WASD is unacceptably jerky for any game made since DOOM. So far, the G13 is the only real alternative I've seen that offers analog movement and ample buttons. If I'm playing a game that does not require too many buttons, I'll use an XBox 360 controller in my left hand and a mouse (with a few extra buttons) in the other. With analog movement and mouse aim, I don't even (necessarily) need to switch between controllers when moving from FPS to flight and back. It's a shame all games don't support this because so many PC players don't realize what they're missing by never trying analog movement and mouse together.

Last edited by SnowieOwl; 2012-12-25 at 04:47 AM.
Old 2014-01-16, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
nicholas
Private

i use both a controller and a keyboard and mouse
also for flying i use a joystick.
my desktop has so many wires sticking out of it you cant even see it anymore.

Last edited by nicholas; 2014-01-16 at 09:56 PM.
Old 2014-01-16, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
i use both a controller and a keyboard and mouse
also for flying i use a joystick.
my desktop has so many wires sticking out of it you cant even see it anymore.
You are using a joystick for flight specifically in PS2 or a joystick for flight, in general?

Im interested because I didnt think PS2 had joystick support yet... maybe I missed that somewhere
Old 2014-01-16, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I don't think it ever recieved the promised Joystick support.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2014-01-17, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Dragonskin
Major

Holy necro, Batman! Haha.

I wish we could use controllers for vehicles. Keyboard/mouse are clunky to me for that kind of thing. Mostly because I don't tend to use vehicles, but if I could with a controller I would do a lot better.
Old 2014-01-17, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Fenrys
Major

The last time I plugged in a flight stick, my Scythe corkscrewed uncontrollably and crashed when spawned. I haven't heard anything about adding controller support since then, but I think it would be nice for vehicles if it were added.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion