Will this game fail? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Castrating griefers since 2003.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-04, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Re: Will this game fail?

I think if they keep Auraxium gain so slow and get the prices for the "side-grade" weapons and attachments wrong, and they don't fix getting pop-locked off your main character, then people are going to quit before they even get their character customized to their preferred play style.

I know that I am already bored as hell of the game, but I still sit there for 10+ minutes hitting the PLAY button, because I have 4K more AX to collect before I can even start testing the AA rocket launcher (which I already have read is garbage). I've been beta a month now and sure I have made a few characters, including a new "main", but after a couple hundred hours of play I should be able to get two weapon upgrades (I have the lock on ground vehicle launcher), regardless of how many "big bases" I have been at. It's like I am being punished for defending or taking all those other hexes on the map and I've capped so many it's nuts!

Also, the game plays like absolute shit on my hardware, even at the lowest possible settings (2.33GHZ Core2 Quad, GTS450, 6GB RAM). Sure, I can run around and play at little outposts and maintain 40+ FPS in combat, but woo... that's not Planetside. Heck, it's not even Quake! When I go near a big battle, it's 0-15 FPS with periodic complete freezes for 5 to 10 seconds at time. If this does not get fixed, I'll just not play long before I will upgrade my computer, which I am otherwise 100% satisfied with. Sorry, but one game is not worth the money, especially when said game takes beauty over frame rate (despite Smed preaching the contrary last year). I would consider upgrading if there were other things I needed it for, but given that I don't, it just ain't gonna happen.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-09-04 at 03:32 AM.
Old 2012-09-04, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Levente
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
I've played pretty much every main MMO beta for the past decade and games in beta never change much at all. That's the definition of beta though, the content is pretty much set in stone and it's really balancing and bug fixing. Especially with SOE, their games usually launch pretty quickly once they hit beta and they seem to never really do a lot.

If you do not like Planetside 2 now, you wont ever like it, there will be no miracle patch. My problems with the game are core mechanics which aren't going to be fixed. Sadly it just doesn't feel like Planetside and so it isn't the game I wanted and again sadly my friends feel the same way.

Problem is if you say anything negative about the game, you end up getting flamed for some reason. So any feedback the developers are getting tends to get hidden by the fanbois who will defend everything.
we are not suprised dude, your always crying in every kind of forum. Nothing is good for you
Old 2012-09-04, 05:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

At the moment the game mechanics are too much casual. The hardcore players (ps1 vets and others) will be out soon. On the other hand the game is not casual enough to attract millions of f2p guys to make the game works.

Therefore, i think it is possible that the game fails.

Last edited by Mox; 2012-09-04 at 05:37 AM.
Old 2012-09-04, 06:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Scotsh
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
I think if they keep Auraxium gain so slow and get the prices for the "side-grade" weapons and attachments wrong, and they don't fix getting pop-locked off your main character, then people are going to quit before they even get their character customized to their preferred play style.
I am also not sure where they are going with this. I hope Auraxium gain + prices are far more bearable in the release and all this now is just due to it being beta and having only a fraction of items in the game.

Also, the game plays like absolute shit on my hardware, even at the lowest possible settings (2.33GHZ Core2 Quad, GTS450, 6GB RAM). Sure, I can run around and play at little outposts and maintain 40+ FPS in combat, but woo... that's not Planetside. Heck, it's not even Quake! When I go near a big battle, it's 0-15 FPS with periodic complete freezes for 5 to 10 seconds at time. If this does not get fixed, I'll just not play long before I will upgrade my computer, which I am otherwise 100% satisfied with. Sorry, but one game is not worth the money, especially when said game takes beauty over frame rate (despite Smed preaching the contrary last year). I would consider upgrading if there were other things I needed it for, but given that I don't, it just ain't gonna happen.
You have to be more patient. They must be fully aware that a huge fraction of players can not properly play right now and the F2P model is depending on a player base as large as possible.
At the start of beta (got in with the nVidia screwup) i was in a similar situation as you, i just could not play in bigger battles (C2D E8400 3GHz). But since last week i can play just fine, they have given the game a huge performance boost already and i think there will be even more. Just hang in there, it's just a beta
Old 2012-09-04, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Kipper
Captain

World of Tanks proves that the system works, even with its round by round arena play, long grinds if you're not on premium and some borderline pay2win features (gold ammo). That's still both fun & popular.

PS2 is taking the same model and removing the worst aspects, supposedly. Out goes any pay2win whilst in comes persistence and the opportunity for deep team play. The grinds may still be long but if you're rolling with a fun outfit you shouldn't even notice it in the heat of a big battle.

As long as no major mistakes are made - this game will have infinitely more depth and playability than WoT, because of the combined arms, big map and multiple capture/defend strategies.

It's our job as testers to test the shit out of it and refine the raw game into something that will work for lone wolfers and FPS people, through to tactical coordinated outfits and everyone in between.

Not possible? You're not thinking hard enough about it.
Old 2012-09-04, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Scotsh View Post
I am also not sure where they are going with this. I hope Auraxium gain + prices are far more bearable in the release and all this now is just due to it being beta and having only a fraction of items in the game.
Should be interesting to see how the F2P model pans out for PS2. BTW, PS2 is the first time SOE is starting with a F2P model from the ground up, correct? DCUO did not start as F2P I don't think.

I leave you with this:

Free-to-play game developers explain their secrets

Last edited by Crator; 2012-09-04 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2012-09-04, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

The simple answer is, "yes". Everything must come to an end. How long will that take? I predict a long, long time.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-09-04, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Should be interesting to see how the F2P model pans out for PS2. BTW, PS2 is the first time SOE is starting with a F2P model from the ground up, correct? DCUO did not start as F2P I don't think.

I leave you with this:

Free-to-play game developers explain their secrets
Free Realms and Clone Wars Adventures were free to play from the ground up (and the first games to use the Forgelight server-side code base).
Old 2012-09-04, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Miir
Malvision

All I can say is I'll never play on INDAR again come release. lol
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion