News: Video of GDC Media Event - Page 23 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Umm sir, your Phoenix is showing.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-08, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #331
Bzak
Private

Re: Video of GDC Media Event

Originally Posted by SVoyager View Post
-Enter/Exit animations. This is a huge point to me. It adds so much to realism. If you see your char having to climb up ladders about 3 times the actual player's height just to get in the galaxy, well you're about to drive something big! Same for the tank. Instant in/out feels once again too much arcadish, simple, dumbed down, BF like. It also feels like a botched implementation, to me it shows that animations was too hard to make, took too much time and that willpower was lacking. Its like finding a problem and rather than fixing it, one would just use some workaround and skip it entirely. This is not meant to bash the staff, but this is how I see the implementation of instant in/out of vehicles.
This is exactly how I felt as well. Same with the reason we were told vehicle jacking would not be in the game. Also the teleporters instead of long stair cases in the base I found disappointing.
Old 2012-03-08, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #332
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Rubius View Post
I'm absolutely thrilled about playing it. I LOVED the night time battle, and all the particle effects.

My one complaint is: the continent looked way too small. It had 4 bases from the looks of it... =/ That will kinda destroy the epicness of the original Planetside.
Old 2012-03-08, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #333
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
That's only the 9 large ones. All the small outposts are also contestable as Higby mentioned at GDC.

There's also been mention of deployable outfit bases too, with outfits putting up their own bases to create strategic advantages that's yet another thing to add into the equation.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-08, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #334
megamold
Second Lieutenant

i do think the map should be changed, like it is right now its not very clear, especially when he turned on the ownership overlay, i could barely see the red hotspot indicators in the TR owned area

possibly make the map a true color render with some height indicators, and tone down the ownership overlay.
maybe only show the actual frontline in the color of the empire, like in civ5 for ex

Originally Posted by Bzak View Post
This is exactly how I felt as well. Same with the reason we were told vehicle jacking would not be in the game. Also the teleporters instead of long stair cases in the base I found disappointing.
vehicle jacking might be in the game, they are just not sure on how to make it work since they dont know how to work the sidegrades on the tank you steal vs the ones you have ( Tray interview from GDC )

and Tray also said the teleporters were needed because otherwise it would take 15minutes to get from bottom floor to the top, and i dont see a reason why these wouldnt be destroyable like turrets, generators,.... ( also in gdc interview i think )

instant in/out is something that they might do in some future update if it was wanted, they felt there was more important things to do for beta then some time consuming animations. ( higby on the reddit Q&A i think)

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-08 at 10:12 AM.
Old 2012-03-09, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #335
Bzak
Private

Originally Posted by megamold View Post

vehicle jacking might be in the game, they are just not sure on how to make it work since they dont know how to work the sidegrades on the tank you steal vs the ones you have ( Tray interview from GDC )

and Tray also said the teleporters were needed because otherwise it would take 15minutes to get from bottom floor to the top, and i dont see a reason why these wouldnt be destroyable like turrets, generators,.... ( also in gdc interview i think )

instant in/out is something that they might do in some future update if it was wanted, they felt there was more important things to do for beta then some time consuming animations. ( higby on the reddit Q&A i think)
I dont see what the problem is with vehicle jacking and the side grades. Just have all the vehicle side grades correspond to ones on the other empires and if you have the right certs you can drive the vehicle. If you dont you cant drive it, just like in ps1.
I saw the part about 15 minutes on the stairs and I think that is just poor base design then. Not that the bases are not awesome looking but I just find teleporters very arcade like and very easy to camp usually. Same thing with the shields for the spawns instead of a door. I do believe it was said you could still hack the shields and enter the enemy spawn. I think the lack of in/out animation and other animations makes the game just that less impressive and dosent seem to fit with most of what I am seeing with the game. I understand its not even in beta so maybe they wont cheep out on the animations.
Old 2012-03-09, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #336
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bzak View Post
I dont see what the problem is with vehicle jacking and the side grades. Just have all the vehicle side grades correspond to ones on the other empires and if you have the right certs you can drive the vehicle. If you dont you cant drive it, just like in ps1.
I saw the part about 15 minutes on the stairs and I think that is just poor base design then. Not that the bases are not awesome looking but I just find teleporters very arcade like and very easy to camp usually. Same thing with the shields for the spawns instead of a door. I do believe it was said you could still hack the shields and enter the enemy spawn. I think the lack of in/out animation and other animations makes the game just that less impressive and dosent seem to fit with most of what I am seeing with the game. I understand its not even in beta so maybe they wont cheep out on the animations.
so if i am a tr soldier and want to hack a VS vehicle ( any vehicle really ) and i have the cert for a similar vehicle ( cause some vehicles are empire specific ) what about the AA lasher type weapon on top? will i get to use that or will the vehicle change according to the certs i have for a similar vehicle in my empire

thats what they are discussing , i would like to just get all the weapons the original driver had but thing like this need some back and forth discussion even if the answer seems clear to us

also : if i die and respawn in the belly of the base i would not think it very fun to walk up stairs for 10 minutes to get back to the fight, once the enemy is in the base and the gen drops or the teleport is destroyed the battle for the stairwell/ inner base can start
and i will miss the enter/exit anim when beta comes but they hinted at adding it later several times so i'm not really worried about that

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-09 at 05:20 AM.
Old 2012-03-09, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #337
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Seeing the GDC footage again made me realize how much I'm going to miss the entry/exit animations. If there's any way at all to get them in the game I really hope they take the time to do it because it makes such a big difference. Every game has these seemingly minor details that get mentioned in every review and really make you go "Wow that's cool!", this is definitely one of them.
Old 2012-03-09, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #338
Bzak
Private

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
so if i am a tr soldier and want to hack a VS vehicle ( any vehicle really ) and i have the cert for a similar vehicle ( cause some vehicles are empire specific ) what about the AA lasher type weapon on top? will i get to use that or will the vehicle change according to the certs i have for a similar vehicle in my empire
You get to use the enemy vehicle I would hope,with the enemy guns. But my point more was it was disappointing that on some of these things it just seems like they deemed to hard and gave up on. Even if they add after beta which I assume would mean after release I think the game risks failing more. Especially if they are wanting to bring in more modern fps players and really have the game be a step above round based games.
Old 2012-03-09, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #339
Tikuto
Major

square continent. pfft...
circle and triangle continents next, then!

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)
Old 2012-03-09, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #340
Oty
Contributor
Corporal

Soo epic, I want a tank squad now!!!
Old 2012-03-09, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #341
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by AncientVanu View Post
Dude where's the Vanu sh*t? Apart from some magriders from a Reaver's point of view in one of the videos we saw no VS? WTH?
All the Vanu got slaughtered, and the TR were forced to give up the base by the server gods cuz the NC couldn't take it on their own.

Old 2012-03-13, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #342
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

So why isn't this stickied?
Old 2012-03-13, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #343
Kipper
Captain

Going back a couple of posts, I don't see a reason why there couldn't be a cert specifically for "hacking & jacking" so that you can take over an abandoned/parked enemy vehicle. People shouldn't leave stuff lying around if they don't want it to be used!

Armament wise, if you have the jacking cert, you should be able to use whatever is installed on there by the previous owner, but not remove them or pull any new modules for it. Once the vehicle is destroyed, the modules are destroyed, and you have to go steal another.

Now maybe if you hack a vehicle and can also hack an enemy terminal to get a hold of their upgrades, that would be audacious since its probably defended and people won't take kindly to it - in which case perhaps make all sidegrades available to be unlocked by all players, but where you use resources to unlock your own, you use certs to unlock the opposition ones for use only on their vehicles.

That gives you specialization in taking and using enemy tech.
Old 2012-03-13, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #344
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Seeing the GDC footage again made me realize how much I'm going to miss the entry/exit animations. If there's any way at all to get them in the game I really hope they take the time to do it because it makes such a big difference. Every game has these seemingly minor details that get mentioned in every review and really make you go "Wow that's cool!", this is definitely one of them.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion