controllers for planetside 2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey! get away from my coffin!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-06, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
leecH
Private

Re: controllers for planetside 2

Originally Posted by Gortha View Post
No.
bananasex.. i guess this makes my argument invalid even though im right.
Old 2012-08-06, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Tsubaki
Private

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
I use mouse/keyboard, always have on PC, probably always will. With that said, there are several obvious factors that can make gamepads a better choice:

A) I have a friend with severe carpal tunnel who has a ton of trouble keeping his wrist in a position for a mouse/keyboard, and even with anti-carpal designed ones, he feels pain after a very short time. Gamepads provide the most comfortable finger movement and hand positioning for his needs. It isn't always about which dominates in terms of advantage.

B) My other friend has never, and I mean never gamed on PC in his life, and plans to play PS2. He got into console gaming years later than most friends, in his late teens. He plays pretty well now, and after a great deal of time being a slow learner, he doesn't want to take the time to get comfortable with playing on a mouse and keyboard when he can't even type with any finess at all. The tactical advantage is actually more of a detriment in this case as well.

Let's grow up, it isn't always about feeling elite with your sweet razer gear. Hell, the prospect of laying back in bed and relaxing after practice, work and school with a comparatively mobile and comfortable controller could sway even me at some point.

As for the OP, yes, I believe they said there will be support, and I'm sure a lot of people will use them.
Pretty much the exact reason I bought Xpadder and a gamepad because I personally suffer from carpal tunnet and it really hurts to play for extended periods, also i started gaming since I was 3 with controllers on the NES so im very used to the analog movement and I can understand not being comfortable with mouse/keyboard to actually be better in some cases. TLDR great post much agreed if support isnt available get Xpadder it will emulate your mouse and keyboard and it'll work regardless if the game supports gamepads.

Last edited by Tsubaki; 2012-08-06 at 03:13 PM.
Old 2012-08-06, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
kidwithstick
Corporal

Originally Posted by mr sandman View Post
Can you use gaming controllers for planetside 2?
Why would you want to?

go play xbox
Old 2012-08-06, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SkarBlade
Private

Originally Posted by kidwithstick View Post
Why would you want to?

go play xbox
It's called preference.
Old 2012-08-06, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Gortha
First Sergeant

Doesn´t matter which Ego-Shooter. Tactical kind of, speedy kind of, mouse and Keayboard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All.

Controllers most kids know from Consoles are good for Jump-And-Run´s and Sportgames etc. That´s it.

But i know there are really a bunch of peeps in the world who started ego-shooting on ps3 or xbox i.e. with "Call of Spraying".
As they met shooters first in their lifes on those kiddosoles and played them with a controller while PWNing other consoleheroes, they really think controllers rock in those kind of games. They also think they really, yesss, really really rock the shit.

Well, in times of Galileo Galilei peeps where thinking the sun circles around the earth and not otherwise. Untill they learned the truth...

http://z0r.de/1573
Old 2012-08-06, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
mr sandman
Private

well this thread flamed up fast. all i did was ask a question on weather or not i can (not should) use a gaming controller. why do you care what i use, everybody has there own opinion don't try and change others.
Old 2012-08-06, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Gortha View Post
Doesn´t matter which Ego-Shooter. Tactical kind of, speedy kind of, mouse and Keayboard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All.

Controllers most kids know from Consoles are good for Jump-And-Run´s and Sportgames etc. That´s it.
I already gave two great examples why controllers can be a good choice.

Let's be objective .
Old 2012-08-06, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
SixShooter
Captain

There are a couple of people that I work with that I've got interested in PS2 and I was suprised that they totally plan to play with an Xbox controller. I guess that if thats the way that you've learned how to play games then it would be the obvious choice. I still play plenty of shooters on consoles but will always be more comfortable with a mouse and keyboard, to each their own I guess and more power to ya.

These same guys also freaked out that I play everything with inverted vertical controls. Thats just the way I learned...

I'm also hoping that I can get my 12 year old joystick (Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold)to work for flying. It's kind of a long shot but I love that thing and don't want to have to buy a new one.

Old 2012-08-06, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Talented Maori
Corporal

Well said Hebrew!! I too have a couply bro's that have farked hands, to use K+M causes pain but they are true to the gaming culture so they have to use alternative controllers, why is it so hard to accept that not everyone can use K+M? You guys with capable hands on your K+M need to realise there are people out there that can't use these things because of physical restrictions!
Old 2012-08-06, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rasui
Sergeant

I already gave two great examples why controllers can be a good choice.

Let's be objective .
See, that's the thing. People who want to use controllers aren't being objective. Most of them really believe it's an equal/superior choice for shooter games. It just isn't, it doesn't offer the precision or speed of a mouse.

As for the examples, you mentioned people with a disabilities and people with a strong preference because of their console background. The first I will grant as valid but still not quite optimal. The second, which I believe is most of the people arguing in favor of controllers. Well, lets just say I think it'd be pretty stupid to put a steering wheel in a fighter jet just because you're used to it.

Last edited by Rasui; 2012-08-06 at 04:28 PM.
Old 2012-08-06, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rasui View Post
See, that's the thing. People who want to use controllers aren't being objective.
I think a grown man or woman using a video game peripheral because they casually prefer it is reason enough. I don't think casual grown ups give a damn if Mouse/keyboard is better.

Well, lets just say I think it'd be pretty stupid to put a steering wheel in a fighter jet just because you're used to it.
I prefer M/K, but I think you're dramatically overstating the difference here. Is M/K better? Typically. Is it really that big of a deal? No. Also, consider that not everyone who will play cares enough about precision or being that totally badass at a video game to give up comfort or familiarity.
I'm blue.
Old 2012-08-06, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rasui
Sergeant

I'm blue.
Not much left to say, this is the classic casual vs competitive debate that has been had 1000x on the internet.
Old 2012-08-06, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Pepsi
Sergeant

Originally Posted by super pretendo View Post
Joystick is strictly better than gamepad for flying
Mouse +KB is better for guns
I agree on the gunplay, but aircraft are a grey area for a game like Planetside 2. Joystick is best for maneuverability, and M&KB is best for precision bombing and strafing, while the gamepad sits in the middle in both these situations. I just like mocking the PC Master Racers every once in a while and show them that M&KB isn't the be-all-end-all.
Old 2012-08-06, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Rasui
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
I agree on the gunplay, but aircraft are a grey area for a game like Planetside 2. Joystick is best for maneuverability, and M&KB is best for precision bombing and strafing, while the gamepad sits in the middle in both these situations. I just like mocking the PC Master Racers every once in a while and show them that M&KB isn't the be-all-end-all.
Yeah, and you looked like a derp doing it. I specifically said "shooters" in my first post and you make some comment about air vehicles? Come on now.
Old 2012-08-06, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Pepsi
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rasui View Post
Yeah, and you looked like a derp doing it. I specifically said "shooters" in my first post and you make some comment about air vehicles? Come on now.
No need to get so defensive, especially with such an ambiguous post that could be interpreting "PC shooters" as referring to FPS games in general (which is the common assumption).

Be more specific next time and don't berate the OP asking for honest help.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion