News: Planetside 2 beta plans - Page 51 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ph34r the shoutcast delay
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-15, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #751
Zar
Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 beta plans

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Edit: haha.... I see what you did there
was about to say >.< think that was at Otleaz not you duke xD
Old 2012-07-15, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #752
Timey
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SergeantNubins View Post
There is a noticeable difference in gameplay performance the lower you get your ping for everyone. Anyone who says someone with a 100 ping doesnt have an advantage over someone with a 200 ping is just talking crap.

It is easier now to play with a high ping in a modern game, because of advances in client side prediction (so you dont have to predict where they will be yourself when teh shot finaly leaves your gun), but ultimately if you have 2 players shooting at each other (or even multiple players shooting at one), the person whose computer is able to tell the server first that they got the killing shot, is the one that gets the kill. .1 of a second may not seem like much but in .1 of a second a bullet will have travelled 300 foot.

It's like having a queue of instructions for the server and players with better pings are able to cut a few places ahead in line.
This is true, and no one with their sanity with the information we have on current day's interwebs etc will try to deny this. 10 years ago when I clicked my mouse1, the rocket launched a few hundred milliseconds later in quake.

Now, today, the powder in the bullet explodes the instant the mouse1.exe is clicked.

And now I don't even know what I'm talking about, so I'll just stop typing and keep hoping I've not insulted anyone again.

[QUOTE=IDukeNukeml;786020[/QUOTE]

It's a thing of which you obviously know about. It's not, however, quantum physics. Give me 109h and I can tell you about it more than you now know about it
Old 2012-07-15, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #753
Timey
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
When She Cries (lyrics) - Restless Heart - YouTube

Love this song!! Puttin' Planetside 2 to bed for the night If you listen you'll get it too!
I love you duke.
Old 2012-07-15, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #754
Rockstone
Private

Originally Posted by Timey View Post
This is true, and no one with their sanity with the information we have on current day's interwebs etc will try to deny this. 10 years ago when I clicked my mouse1, the rocket launched a few hundred milliseconds later in quake.

Now, today, the powder in the bullet explodes the instant the mouse1.exe is clicked.

And now I don't even know what I'm talking about, so I'll just stop typing and keep hoping I've not insulted anyone again.

It's a thing of which you obviously know about. It's not, however, quantum physics. Give me 109h and I can tell you about it more than you now know about it

I can explain how it works in both the Frostbite engine (or at least BF2's engine), and in source and UDK.

In Source, when someone fires a gun, there is a timestamp sent to the server along with the packet that says the gun was fired. The server interprets the packet, reads that a bullet was fired, and then goes back in time (into the server history) and checks where all players were at the timestamp. If a player were calculated to be within the bullet's raytrace (i.e. the path of the bullet), the server interprets it as struck. To reduce strain, physics objects are not calculated.

In UDK, the client predicts whether the player is struck or not, and if the client is wrong, the server corrects it. There is no system such as the one found in Source. (at least that I can tell) http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Netwo...20The%20Future

In the Battlefield 2/Frostbite engine, hit detection is client side. The client fires a projectile and tells the server what the client struck.
Old 2012-07-15, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #755
Joe Soldier
Private

Why me? I did not get into the technical test!!!!!! This ruined my weekend!!!
Old 2012-07-15, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #756
Chrispin
Corporal

Originally Posted by Joe Soldier View Post
Why me? I did not get into the technical test!!!!!! This ruined my weekend!!!
You mean to tell me you didn't get in??? I thought everybody who's anybody got into the technical test!
Old 2012-07-16, 02:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #757
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

XD Now you cant see who is Online in the Official PS2 Forum,being not in Beta.
Yeaterday we could see there was a Crowd going on there, well More Invites on Monday, which is Today, Good Luck everybody !
Old 2012-07-16, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #758
FONKY
Private

Thankyou Higby that was very helpful
Old 2012-07-16, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #759
ruskyandrei
Private

Originally Posted by Rockstone View Post
In the Battlefield 2/Frostbite engine, hit detection is client side. The client fires a projectile and tells the server what the client struck.
I doubt it is not checked by the server. Having hit detection entirely on the client side would make it wide open to hacking.
Old 2012-07-16, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #760
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by ruskyandrei View Post
I doubt it is not checked by the server. Having hit detection entirely on the client side would make it wide open to hacking.
Indeed, which is why there are hackers who kill the entire server without Line of Sight, all while sitting in their spawn.

In properly server verified games, the only cheats you can do is aimbot and wallhack, pretty much.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-07-16, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #761
CheeZeX
Corporal

Originally Posted by Timey View Post
the bullet explodes the instant the mouse1.exe is clicked.
As a software developer, I laughed a little inside when I saw this comment. Just because it's abstract and really incorrect but that's ok!
Old 2012-07-16, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #762
onewingedangel
Private

So any news on how the tech test went? I remember reading that beta invites were to be distributed today if things went well over the weekend.
Old 2012-07-16, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #763
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by onewingedangel View Post
So any news on how the tech test went? I remember reading that beta invites were to be distributed today if things went well over the weekend.
You read speculation then. Smedley said he expected tech test to take 1-2 weeks.
Old 2012-07-16, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #764
haticK
First Sergeant

Pretty sure it's more tech test invites being sent out today
Old 2012-07-16, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #765
RoadRage
Private

Originally Posted by haticK View Post
Pretty sure it's more tech test invites being sent out today
For sure? Sauce?