News: PAX Future of Online Games Panel - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Not suitable for children under 65
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-09, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Pax Future of MMO Panel

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Pssh. Ultima Online is and always will be the king of PK games in my mind, UO was ridiculous fun. Possibly the harshest, rudest and most mean and fucked up environment of any mmo out there. Brilliant game.

Pre uber weapons of course.
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
Rallos Zek was the bluebiest of all the red servers. The gigantic guild on Rallos enforced a 'no-pvp' policy. When the PVP servers were merged, the big guild on Rallos that enforced a non-PVP atmosphere tried to parlay with the big guilds from other servers. That parlay didn't go as planned and that big Rallos guild was pked into oblivion.

Guild Wars 2 plays nothing like WoW or EQ.
You guys are only driving the point home that open world PvP servers are necessary!

When was the "no-pvp" thing of Rallos and what guild tried to do that? I was only on Rallos from 1999 to 2004.
Old 2012-04-09, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Noticed that one vid was missing:

Also in the first post now.
Old 2012-04-09, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sifer2
Major

I think open world PvP works well in a game that's difficult enough to encourage grouping in the first place. It tends to not work so well in WoW style MMO's where the content is so easy you can just wander around doing quests an dungeons by yourself. Because then you get a playerbase of soloist who run solo because its the most efficient use of their time to do the things they want to do. And then if you throw open world PvP into that mix you naturally get gank squads just riding about preying on these vulnerable solo dudes. For it to work well the game has to encourage grouping for self preservation, and progress from level 1.

I really liked the question about difficulty in MMO's because I could tell all the developers sort of understood the over casualization of the industry was a problem. None of them really had a satisfactory answer though. Even Higby just kind of blew it off saying "Oh were PvP only so it doesn't effect us". Lets hope what the one guy said about the industry fracturing some in the coming years with smaller budget titles that can cater to niche audiences becoming reality. That really is the only hope for that type of gameplay to live on. Since the giant budget games naturally just want to sell to everyone. That problem actually goes beyond the MMO industry, and is effecting the entire game industry.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Quickly! Can anyone give me an info if there's any drama in?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Graywolves
General

I think GW2 WvW is too casualised. They even made it so that you don't see enemy player names to make it friendlier to casuals who didn't want to feel like they were in a competitive atmosphere.

I haven't watched the videos yet, going to. But like with GW2's WvW, I feel it is important to note that it's possible to dull the competitive nature of PvP. Just something to keep in mind.

P.S. GW2 and WoW have little to no similarities, mechanically or visually.
Old 2012-04-09, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

MMORPG.com posted the full video:

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-04-09, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
FredTomson
Private

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Noticed that one vid was missing:

Future of Online Gaming: Part 1 - YouTube

Also in the first post now.
I like the part when we all stand up and cheer for Higby haha. He asked us earlier that day to come and support him...I think we did a pretty good job.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
KALU
Master Sergeant

Re: PAX Future of Online Games Panel

Love the reception Matt got at the introductions!
Old 2012-04-09, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

And yeah, i have played ample GW2 Beta and its not like WoW at all. SWtOR on the other hand is literally cut and paste copy of WoW from exact same quest structuring, exactly same combat, to 90% cut and paste talent trees. Seriously, talent trees are the exact same talents just with different names, its hilarious. Its actually pretty pathetic to see them literally not even try to not copy wow as much as they possibly could. Its prob why i quickly lost interest in SWTOR since i had gotten tired of WoW and it was exactly the same.

But GW2 is quite different and I may actually get back into mmo's with that game, been tons of fun so far and quite a new experience. That is, until PS2 comes out or beta hits, and assuming they get their shyt together and dont make a BF mmo. =)
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Nolerhn
Corporal

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Pssh. Ultima Online is and always will be the king of PK games in my mind, UO was ridiculous fun. Possibly the harshest, rudest and most mean and fucked up environment of any mmo out there. Brilliant game.

Pre uber weapons of course.
UO was such an awesome MMO. I remember the days of CAREFULLY checking everything in my bag to make sure I don't leave Britannia with any more than absolutely necessary, because odds are I wouldn't be keeping my stuff very long. I wish there were more games with harsh environments like that, UO really gave me a sense of accomplishment if I even made a short trip out of town and came back with more than I left with, let alone how proud I was when I finally had the cash to lay down my own tiny little stone cottage.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nolerhn View Post
UO was such an awesome MMO. I remember the days of CAREFULLY checking everything in my bag to make sure I don't leave Britannia with any more than absolutely necessary, because odds are I wouldn't be keeping my stuff very long. I wish there were more games with harsh environments like that, UO really gave me a sense of accomplishment if I even made a short trip out of town and came back with more than I left with, let alone how proud I was when I finally had the cash to lay down my own tiny little stone cottage.
There's Mortal online its essentially Ultama with good graphics and more blood and gore. As an added bonus it is 100% first person and requires you to aim.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Nolerhn View Post
I never played UO, but from what I hear, there's something you have to explain to players of current MMORPGs. In UO, or so I am told, losing all your stuff to PKs can be replaced a lot easier, unlike current MMOs where it takes months of raiding to get stuff.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Great job, Higby! Thanks to all the fans who cheered him on.

Planetside 2 shoots down all the competition. He didn't even have to say much about it because it spoke for itself. It's truly an experience nothing else has even attempted to touch. I say it again and again, it'll be revolutionary.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Carbanu
Contributor
Corporal

I think we are all of a consensus that Planetside 2 NOT GW2 is the future of online gaming.... period!
Old 2012-04-10, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

I was surprised at Matt's answer on the "why is everybody doing MMO shooters now." I figured he would have come at that answer from the technology side. Main points being internet bandwidth, server/PC computing power, code maturity. He has said something to that effect before, right?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion