Why you shouldn't plan on playing PlanetSide 2 on a laptop - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pwned. Since 2002.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-01-26, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Why you shouldn't plan on playing PlanetSide 2 on a laptop

really good OP, I really like this Ailos!
Old 2012-01-26, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Raka Maru
Major

I agree you get more configuration on a desktop. I build my own too, one has 5 colored fans, neon sticks, awesome cards... Not gonna dig up my specs right now.

I also have 2 Alienware laptops, one with dual vid cards, they are over clocked and sitting on a massive cooling stand. A well configured laptop can handle anything.
Old 2012-01-26, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
I don't see the reasoning behind this thread. I play everything on my laptop. Got it hooked up to my tv when at home. Haven't had a desktop in many years. USB keyboard, trackball... Just max out the video card and ram when you can.
You should really try playing on a desktop. The idea that WoW will even think of slowing down will never cross your mind.

I also have 2 Alienware laptops, one with dual vid cards, they are over clocked and sitting on a massive cooling stand. A well configured laptop can handle anything.
In other words, your laptops are glued to a desk and not your lap.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-01-26, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Coreldan
Colonel

The point of a gaming laptop isnt so much in the mobility of being able to play it while yogaing and going through kamasutra, they are called "desktop replacements" more often than not for a reason.

You still use them at the table, the reason why you choose a laptop is that you end up moving around the system so much, that a desktop isnt worth it.

I had a 4kg 17" ASUS gaming laptop for 2½ years with a seperate coooler (CoolerMaster Notepal Infinite, can recommend if you need a laptop cooler) for it. It all fit into the backpack I got with the computer. I had no intention to ever use it anywhere but on the table, but it was absolutely crucial for me to be able to just pack it into a single backpack and get moving with it, all this while still being able to play any modern day game.

My biggest gripe with them is how you can't upgrade em and how expensive it gets to get a brand new one every 2 years to keep up to date.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-01-26, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Raka Maru
Major

Good points here...

I move my laptop maybe 2x/month or when someone says, let's go to the beach and I'm not quite finished with what I'm doing but want to go anyways.

These cooler master notepal x2 fans are the best. I've tried several different brands, but now only get these.

Screen size is not a problem, 'cuz of the hdmi hookup to the tv.

I get what your saying about desktops and gaming within budget after re-reading the OP and it's very informative. Cannot see myself going back to desktop however because I'm so used to just unplugging and having my system (and games) with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327632206.922819.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	284  

Last edited by Raka Maru; 2012-01-26 at 08:52 PM.
Old 2012-01-27, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

I get what your saying about desktops and gaming within budget after re-reading the OP and it's very informative. Cannot see myself going back to desktop however because I'm so used to just unplugging and having my system (and games) with me.

That is entirely the point. to get an equivalent performance laptop vs desktop you are going to have to spend double on the laptop and you still cant have the same top performance of a desktop since neither AMD or Nvidia do mobile versions of their top chips.

For some people having the top end specs is not that important and the added mobility is worth the added cost.
Old 2012-01-28, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Ailos
Contributor
Major

It does sometimes come down to the individual's needs. But there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Someone else mentioned it, and I think it's worth mentioning it again: the new integrated APUs may come as a welcome solution for the more mobile person. I haven't seen any gaming laptops with them yet (and I wouldn't look anyway since I don't buy gaming laptops) but I have a week ago recieved a quad-core ATI Llano, and it's not a bad piece of kit, considering I only paid $120 for it. The graphics performance isn't top shelf, but it's not exactly struggling when tweaked just the right way. And as long as ATI keeps their FM1 socket going (and whatever the mobile version of it as well) upgrading won't be that expensive/difficult.

I can't say much for Intel's Sandy bridge solutions, but it seems apparent to me that AMD had their ATI division help them out a great deal with the APU, and I'd call it a very plausible solution, too. Definitely a much more feasable to SLIed "GTX 580Ms".

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-02-12, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
BloodySoul
Corporal

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
I'd figure with ASUS G74 SX it's playable, but I can almost see the overheating inbound already

But the truth still is you probably could run the game better on a desktop that cost half the money you spent on that laptop.
It actually has really good cooling. It surprised me I will be honest because I was expecting major overheating but my lap doesn't even get really hot. And I can blast the graphics on StarCraft II with it. My main worry is about keyboard control. lol I may buy a USB keyboard because I am use to having a lowered keyboard compared to the screen. (a.k.a. desktop)
Old 2012-02-13, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
First, you'll want to go for the highest processor, and in this case, the Core i5 should be more than capable to handle anything PS2 throws at it (that processor will give you 8 threads at 3 GHz speeds, and that's plenty). A Phenom II X4 would be the AMD equivalent (only 4 threads, but much more bandwidth).
I thought only the i7-s run 8 threads (Although an i5 2500k would probably still be more than enough)
Old 2012-02-13, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
I thought only the i7-s run 8 threads (Although an i5 2500k would probably still be more than enough)
Thats correct. i5 = 4 threads i7 = 8 threads. These days the Intel CPUs have more bandwidth as well. That change came about when Nehalem was released back in 2008.
Old 2012-02-16, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
BloodySoul
Corporal

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
This laptop will run battlefield 3 on high settings..... and probably ultra. I have no doubts this laptop will run plantside 2 but probably no on "ultra".

Get you a dual fan cooling system that attaches to the bottom of the laptop and keep it on a desk while playing games to avoid overheating.
Does it matte what kind or brand of dual fan cooling?
Old 2012-02-16, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by BloodySoul View Post
Does it matte what kind or brand of dual fan cooling?
I've tried like 5 brands but like the "NotePal X2" the best. I have 3 of these babies now.
Old 2012-02-17, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
EZShot
Corporal

Let's just clarify something. Laptop GPU's tend to be good at rastering and rendering frames but a complete let down whenever you throw complex processing info at them such as shadows and volumetric lighting (smoke and mist).

This means that it probably won't take much of a video card to run the game right, but it will be severely limited when you enable the options that govern things like weather, particle effect (explosions and thrusters) and shadows. All the things that make the game lively and interesting to look at.

I expect that a current generation laptop (mid/high-end) that you could buy in the shops right now aught to handle PS2 fine, especially if you're allowing for a big spend (over 900).

I also suspect that PS2 won't be as taxing as it looks in the screenshots. Remember that SOE will be trying to get as many people playing as possible and allowing for a wide specification. Expecting everyone to upgrade when you release a game isn't a very good route to take in a marketing sense. I'll take a bet that an old nvidia gefore 9600GT will get along ok. Obviously not "ultra" settings but a good mix of frame rate and some low level eye candy.

If you're looking for 40+fps all the time whatever the weather on "ultra" settings then I suggest you look at cards like the ati 6670 which is cheap at around £$70 but very capabale, however with this choice you may find you need to upgrade in a couple of years or the other end of the scale anything from a nvidia 550 ti (£$140) upwards will handle it all day long at the highest possible settings.

We've been at a point for a while where graphics hardware is well outpacing graphics software it runs.

Everyones got a different budget mine is low.....
Old 2012-02-17, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I'm thinking you are going to need at least a GTX 460 to run this game at maximum settings. Could even be higher like a 570. A 550 Ti is a pretty weak card compared to those and doesn't even top the GTX 285 (Nvidia's top card back in 2009) in performance.
Old 2012-02-17, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Do we have any recent PhysX game we could use to judge how much it matters whether it runs on your GPU or CPU?

Then again, after all the driver troubles I had with my Radeon 9600XT I am reluctant to go ATI again, price be damned

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2012-02-17 at 03:00 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum