Ridiculous lag!! Please help! :( - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Would you like to see how far down the rabbit hole goes?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-08, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
XxRamboJuniorxX
Private

Ridiculous lag!! Please help! :(

Ok, so basically I've been playing the Planetside 2 Beta for about 2 days, and I'm not sure if it's because of the lack of optimization or some other factors, but my frame-rate while playing the game is HORRIBLE during firefights.
I can have the settings on high, or custom (high-medium) anywhere in the game and it will run really smoothly, with about 40+ FPS; but as soon as I go into a firefight, it literally goes down below 10 FPS and I really don't understand what's causing the problem.

I've tried many things such as putting all of settings as low as they can be, reducing the Graphics Rendering tab, changing the resolution, and in the end I get the same end result despite all of my efforts (Ridiculous lag in firefights)

If this is an optimization issue and will be fixed eventually, please let me know because I really enjoy this game, but I can't help but not want to play it anymore when I constantly get killed because of lag, and how it doesn't look as smooth as it could. However, if it's a hardware issue; Please inform me of what I need to upgrade so that I can truly enjoy this masterpiece of a game :]

For other references: I can smoothly play Battlefield 3 on high settings with a resolution of 1680x1050

My Specs Are:
-Processor: AMD Athlon II x4 640 3.0 GHz
-GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6770 1 GB GDDR5
-Memory: 5GB RAM
Old 2012-10-08, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Re: Ridiculous lag!! Please help! :(

AMD and RAM could be your problems.

IDK though, have you tried recently
Old 2012-10-08, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
AMD and RAM could be your problems.

IDK though, have you tried recently
I have the same issues with a 2.33GHz Core2 Quad, 6GB RAM, a GTS450, and Win7 64Bit (or WinXP Home fyi, tried due to dual boot).

XxRamboJuniorxX, if you check the tech section on the official forums you will find that tones of people, many with better computers than yours, also have frame rate issues. SOE says they are improving it, but in my experience it has gotten worse each patch, so who knows. Basically, we're all just going to have to wait for release to see if the issue gets resolved.
Old 2012-10-08, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
XxRamboJuniorxX
Private

Thank you both for the quick replies, and I hope that the issue is just optimization; Because of this problem is persistent even after all of the updates and "Patches" you mentioned, then I don't see myself playing this game when I'm forced to play at the lowest quality possible with lag STILL.

and @gonefshn I actually just got off right now, because I was testing every possible setting to see if it would help, and it didn't :/

Well hopefully this gets fixed soon :[
Old 2012-10-08, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

The strange issue with this is there seems to be no pattern. I run AMD with no issues then again im running a 6 core processor with 16 gigs of RAM.

BUT I hear lots of people in my outfit complaining about AMD being worse than intel.

It seems some people have these issues some don't i dont really know why yet.

Pursonally my framerates are almost always great no matter what is happening in game.

I'd say blame it on your connection but framerate and internet connection usually don't have much in common
Old 2012-10-09, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ghost Runner
Staff Sergeant

Are your video drivers up to date?
Do you run any programs in the back ground? (Messengers,Voip applications,social media sites,game recording tools,excetera...) some times these things may use up an unexpected amount of processor resources and available bandwith.

Just some thoughts.

I run an i7 gtx570 6gigs of ram game runs fine I run at 1080p I use High settings

My wife runs a phenom X6 and 9800gtx 6gigs of ram her game runs great She runs at 1280x1024 She uses medium settings

My thoughts its probably because AMD graphics hasn't put in proper support yet in their drivers.
Old 2012-10-09, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
XxRamboJuniorxX
Private

Yes my drivers are up-to-date and my background is actually REALLY clean. I use "Msconfig" to edit my boot menu to make sure that anything that isn't absolutely essential to me, runs at the start of Windows.

and I was thinking that for Christmas I was going to get a new processor:
The Intel Core i5-2500K

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072

However, if it isn't really necessary for me to do so then I will hold off from that for a while, but if it is a driver issue then it's strange because what @GoneFshn said about him being able to run it smooth with his AMD processor

Maybe it's due to my small 5GB of RAM?? o.O This is a mystery

Last edited by XxRamboJuniorxX; 2012-10-09 at 02:52 AM.
Old 2012-10-09, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ghost Runner
Staff Sergeant

Well I think its the Radeon HD 6770 card might not be optimized just yet for this game so your processor has to work twice as hard. That's my Theory anyway.
Old 2012-10-10, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
musefrog
Corporal

I bet it's not your graphics that are struggling, it's the CPU - when you go near loads of other players in a big firefight, there are too many objects to track.

As you've noticed, changing the graphics settings doesn't do much, as that's not the issue.

I'm on a Core2Duo, and since I have 2 monitors I can watch my CPU usage. When in a really busy area, the CPU often hits 100%, and that's when I get the worst FPS and stuttering.

Looks like a six-core CPU is pretty much a requirement for smooth gameplay.
Old 2012-10-10, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Toppopia
Major

Will we beable to spread the load between CPU and GPU if one isn't good enough to manage everything? Or is that not a viable option?
Old 2012-10-10, 11:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
IRSAudit
Private

I have an anecdotal fix for some frame rate issues. Now, I don't have very much hard evidence, besides the couple of times I have tried it. This comes with no warranties, guarantees or promises. YMMV

First off I have a decent, if older system. I7-2600 @ 3.8Ghz (auto OCed from 3.4), Nvidia 560-ti and 24GB of ram. Standing in a small room by myself I get 70fps. Large battles I get ~45fps, sometimes even dipping down into the high 30s. It's all very playable.

So I was standing in this small room I mentioned getting 70fps, fooling with the settings. I went from full screen, to Windowed, and then back to full screen. Actually I think I cycled through the three options for full screen and then back to full screen. My fps jumped to 100 for about 30 seconds, and then held steady in the low 80s. After that everything situation seemed to get about 10-20 more fps for the next half hour, with it slowly dwindling back down to the rates I had previously been seeing.

The only thing I know is that I had never seen 100fps in PS2 before, of that I'm sure.
Old 2012-10-10, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Arknova
Private

Though I have yet to play yet (Hopefully waiting on a key), but I read somewhere that the physics are run off either PhysX if you have an Nvidia card or the CPU if you run ATI/AMD.

Also, good tip IRSAudit, if I have issues I will definitely have to try that out and I also hope that OP finds a resolution.
Old 2012-10-11, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Will we beable to spread the load between CPU and GPU if one isn't good enough to manage everything? Or is that not a viable option?
There are libraries (of c++ source code) to achieve this very concept, however putting them into action in the game is likely easier said than done. Video cards are floating point (numbers with decimal places) calculation power houses, so being able to off load calculations to them when the video card is available would be great, but designing a program to do that on the fly as a CPU load balancing technique would be, to my limited knowledge, breaking some new ground for PC computing, let alone gaming.

It can be done, but it probably won't be.
Old 2012-10-11, 01:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Rasilon
Private

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

GTX 560T1 i gig.

I run everything as high as it will go, the game is very smooth.

Try looking at start up programs, if you have a comp as good or better than mine and if the game runs like crap I don't know what else to advise other than make sure you drivers are all up to date.

PS: You could also try difrent drivers, sometimes rolling them back can work out well.
Old 2012-10-12, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
XxRamboJuniorxX
Private

Hmmm.. It would seem that the lag is ultimately resulting from my processor then.. Because all of the people that play this game with good performance, have a much higher grade processor than my current one.

If this is the case, then how much do you guys think that my performance will increase if I upgrade to this processor?

To: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Or should I stick to an AMD brand processor? And if so, which model would you recommend that is around the same price range as the Intel one I posted above?

and do you think RAM would make that much of a difference? Or is 5GB RAM enough?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion