WDS awareness? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We lub teh fisheh!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-10-17, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

WDS awareness?

The WDS Scores have been added in game to raise awareness by the community that the event is even taking place. Simple fact is that a small percentage of players for most any game bother with forums and many are not aware that the event is taking place. Now, if you're a PSU forum user, I doubt you don't know that it's going on, but have you heard any players bringing it up since the in game score was added?

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-10-17, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Corewin
Private

Re: WDS awareness?

No. It's a ridiculously stupid band-aid put in place by SOE in an attempt to hide the fact they have a horribly incomplete game. Never mind the fact it has taken them a year to develop a new continent, but here are some new shiny things. People don't take notice because the whole thing is idiotic.

Last edited by Corewin; 2013-10-17 at 02:24 PM. Reason: speelz
Old 2013-10-17, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Whats WDS means to me.

Every few weeks I get a 3 day implant for free - I then apply this implant to my NC toon
Old 2013-10-17, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
Whats WDS means to me.

Every few weeks I get a 3 day implant for free - I then apply this implant to my NC toon
No joke. What a better way to show how little SOE understand MMOFPS rewards than making it based solely on your faction. I play like maybe 5 hours a week and log into each character and collect my boost. The idea that factions are somehow fighting is preposterous. It's a game of random chance with populations.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-10-17, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

As stated weeks ago on the OF, rewards based on participation are on the to-do list, just not going to make it for the preseason.
Old 2013-10-17, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
As stated weeks ago on the OF, rewards based on participation are on the to-do list, just not going to make it for the preseason.
Thanks for that Malorn. I think there's a disconnect with the OF and this community.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-10-17, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Here's the OF thread for all your WDS info needs:
https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...hanges.152266/

This is a feature aimed at the outfits, those that want a victory condition, and something to drive more strategic thinking and goals. In other words it's a feature that would be helpful to get constructive feedback on from the PS1 vets and outfit/empire leadership players.
Old 2013-10-17, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

This is a feature aimed at the outfits, those that want a victory condition, and something to drive more strategic thinking and goals. In other words it's a feature that would be helpful to get constructive feedback on from the PS1 vets and outfit/empire leadership players.
If you want some feedback it might be worthwhile to continue the pre-season until the factions are more evenly balanced or to hold off on the WDS until that can happen. People have been saying for months what needs to happen, the numbers are there to support it as well if Maradine's Oracle of Death Thread is anything to go by.

Now as he asked people not to read into those numbers to much I'll say that you as the developers obviously know what's going on in your game better than any of us do. I just don't want to see the WDS tarnish the game or the player base. The less we can claim X won because of Y the better. The things that should be looked at for this are the striker (To a much lesser extent than previously but the problem is still present), the Vulcan (The thing is pointless to fight against, it'll out dps any crew on a harasser - The harasser it self which might need looking into as well.) The ZOE could use some tuning to the movement speed buff it gets, perhaps take away the strafing bonus alone and keep the rest as is. The Vanguard Shield I have been seeing complaints about as well as the Airhammer and MAX balance in general.
Old 2013-10-17, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I consider the rewards a small token of appreciation for sitting through the "optimization months" while the player base continues to decline.

The WDS kept one or two in employment imo, thats about the only positive I can see in it, but thats important.

Do the majority of people log in to play where the ultimate goal for that session is to participate in the WDS?
I think not.
They probably check the WDS scores, I know I do, but the actual commitment to the event is zero.

I'm so glad that these new WDS additions to the UI have passed the optimization test.
Old 2013-10-17, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
typhaon
Sergeant Major

I think it's a very small % of the population that cares about WDS. I can assure you that a very small % of NC on Mattherson care/have any idea what's up.

I don't think many are bothered by it. Most probably log in characters from each faction to make sure they get the reward.

When the rewards start to skew towards the side that wins... has the most pop... has OP stuff... WDS is just going to just annoy 2/3 of the players.
Old 2013-10-17, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

The thing is, planetside 1 managed to achieve a sense of accomplishment and immersion without using artificial (and in this case also rather intangible and external) mechanics. Unfortunately planetside 2 in its current state (without having an intercontinental lattice to begin with) cannot achieve these effects. Basically WDS is just another form of "alert" in that regard, a tacked-on system that feels a bit out of place and more suited to "classic" lobby shooters.
So beyond that, i don't really know what to say from a "vets perspective".

WDS is ok, and i appreciate the effort put into it, but it can only serve so much as a substitute for the "real thing".

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2013-10-17 at 07:02 PM.
Old 2013-10-17, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

As much as I appreciate the effort put into the development of these types of systems they are artificial and thus detract from the point of the game, it really doesn't belong in the game in it's current state.

Territory means nothing and the WDS encourages zerging on mass > vehicle camping the point > zerging on mass > vehicle camping the point.

Really need to separate the combat flows, Base - fight in vehicles to next base - Dismount - Fight for base on foot (immune for vehicle interference) - Fight in vehicles to next base

The game is fundamentally broken and WDS just highlights the faults.

The teamspeak feeling on WDS is "MEH who gives a crap", it's just a free booster. This stems from the general fucked off feeling they have with the game and its many many problems. (fracture/vulcan/ZOE/Striker. Bad base design and decisions (3minutes biolab timer, someone slap the fool that thought that up), empire over pop, No back hack mechanics. People will say "hey be patient they will get to it" well a year later and $100's of dollars of faith and we have little to no progress (what little we have has been so slow and half assed it's not worthy of the word progress) The fundamental issues with the game are not new and were voiced extensively and loudly in tech test and beta and they were ignored in pursuit of a battle field clone and as a result it may have signed the death warrant for this game that had shown such promise.

I feel like i'm fighting a losing battle everyday to keep my guys engaged and the gameplay that WDS pushes the general pop into isn't helping and i think this is largely down to them (general pop) not understanding it and the overpop of TR.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.

Last edited by Mastachief; 2013-10-17 at 07:13 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-10-17, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Let me put it another way - what would make it exciting for you?
Old 2013-10-17, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
typhaon
Sergeant Major

I think you're right about the general state of combat in the game.

I've always thought there should be...

1) Less bases.
2) More space between bases that is necessarily contested by vehicles. However when you reached the bases...
3) Base conquest was more interesting and inhospitable to vehicle camping. We could all write pages on this...

* I just feel like the approach SOE has taken... lots of bases.... quick and easy to conquer... doesn't necessarily = no fun. People didn't like being bogged down in BioLabs because they fights tended to stalemate in teleport rooms... and were dull.... not because they were just averse to fighting for a while to conquer something.

4) The ability for outfits to own, upgrade, customize, do-interesting-things-with bases... then be rewarded for continuous control... maybe have published records for each base.

Last edited by typhaon; 2013-10-17 at 07:48 PM.
Old 2013-10-17, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Let me put it another way - what would make it exciting for you?
Tricky question and requires some thought, i'll ponder and post what i think.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion