Aircraft Garage/Hangars - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Everybody run! Hes got a NERF gattling gun!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-11-13, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Aircraft Garage/Hangars

So I've noticed with Optimization there's a brand new Garage at Scarred Mesa Skydock, Not sure if the same model garage exists anywhere else, much bigger and in my opinion a whole heck of alot cooler then the little garages we get on the Essamire bases that have holes in the roof and it got me to thinking...

Garages are meant to protect your vehicle or safeguard it to a degree while your either hiding or repairing...

Well, can we get Aircraft Hangars? Be cool to land my aircraft for once and not have to be to concerned about a Tank coming over the hill and taking potshots at my bird!

At the very least I figure sense Amp Stations give Air-Resources then they are pretty much the default Air-Base of Planetside2, shouldn't they atleast have more landing pads and maybe a Hangar for aircraft on the landing pad?

Or Tech-Plants have those massive landing platforms and are meant to be these giant factories producing war-machines, can they get a Aircraft Hangar on the landing pad?

Just a discussion, what do you think about the idea of Aircraft Hangars sense ground vehicles get there own Garages?

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2013-11-15 at 01:28 AM.
Old 2013-11-13, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

Re: Aircraft Garage/Hangars

It's a lot of real estate for planes alone. I'd say make'em just a tad bigger so you *could* fit an aircraft in there, but I think they're meant primarily for Sundys. If they could cut into the terrain it might be easier to squeeze a couple aircraft hangars around (complete with enemy-fire forcefields and teleporter / jump pad would be awesome).
Old 2013-11-13, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dodgy Commando
Staff Sergeant

I like the idea for Tech Plants.

The middle floors are barely used IMO and it would probably be the easiest facility to modify in this manner. Provide some cover for aircraft and maybe even an incentive for dedicated engineering teams to hang around (repairs/defense using deployable turrets).

The cover shouldn't be too extensive nor provide complete immunity. Arching cover over the entrances should be the bare minimum so as to force enemy aircraft to strafe low, thus making them more vulnerable to retaliation from the ground should they choose to attack the hangar. Perhaps the same sort of cover should be placed on the bottom of the hangar's entrances to prevent ground vehicles from spamming inside. Ultimately, I see all this leading to a legitimate target for an infantry assault.
Old 2013-11-13, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Some facilities just seem pretty clear cut "This is a Airbase" so I would like it if these Air bases would have aircraft hangars with the landing pads...

Facilities like Scarred Mesa, Vanu Archives, Ravens Landing, West Foothills Airdock or East River Sky Station.

Just something large enough even a Galaxy could fly in land or hover with reasonable cover from incoming fire with 3 walls and a ceiling. Big enough for 1 gal, 2 Libs, or 4 ESF.

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2013-11-13 at 11:49 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-11-14, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Right next to that garage is the other big change for Scarred Mesa, a second jump pad.
Old 2013-11-14, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Blynd
First Sergeant

I'd like to see ps1 style underground vterms for tech plants
Old 2013-11-14, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
torokf
Corporal

There are Hangars in some places in the upcoming Amerish revamp
I've seen them in some Clegg's screenshots
Old 2013-11-14, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
snafus
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Right next to that garage is the other big change for Scarred Mesa, a second jump pad.
I was sad to see we lost the second landing pad for that change though

Old 2013-11-14, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
bites
Corporal

Originally Posted by Blynd View Post
I'd like to see ps1 style underground vterms for tech plants
Space saving and functional!
Old 2013-11-21, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Owen
Private

Originally Posted by HereticusXZ View Post
So I've noticed with Optimization there's a brand new Garage at Scarred Mesa Skydock, Not sure if the same model garage exists anywhere else, much bigger and in my opinion a whole heck of alot cooler then the little garages we get on the Essamire bases that have holes in the roof and it got me to thinking...

Garages are meant to protect your vehicle or safeguard it to a degree while your either hiding or repairing...

Well, can we get Aircraft Hangars? Be cool to land my aircraft for once and not have to be to concerned about a Tank coming over the hill and taking potshots at my bird!

At the very least I figure sense Amp Stations give Air-Resources then they are pretty much the default Air-Base of Planetside2, shouldn't they atleast have more landing pads and maybe a Hangar for aircraft on the landing pad?

Or Tech-Plants have those massive landing platforms and are meant to be these giant factories producing war-machines, can they get a Aircraft Hangar on the landing pad?

Just a discussion, what do you think about the idea of Aircraft Hangars sense ground vehicles get there own Garages?
only problem is getting the ESF efficiently in. We would need something like forward thrusters that would allow the ESF to move forward while grounded.
Old 2013-11-21, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Well, if anybody remembers the space battles in Star Wars: Battlefront 2, those hangers look like they could be implemented in Planetside 2 one way or another. For instance, the middle runway on tech plants could have walls implemented on either side, and a straightaway all the way through, just slightly move the elevators so aircraft are unaffected on takeoff and landing. maybe even widen the runway a bit. But, IMHO, it doesn't need to be widened. Even an ESF pilot with little to no experience could land in there just fine, granted, the more experience, the less time needed to land in there. Honestly, I think that I could do it myself if I had next to no lag spikes and didn't crash every 5-10 minutes, and I have very little ESF piloting experience compared to most pilots out there.
Old 2013-11-23, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Hardly call it a big change - jump pads are one of the most retarded and lazy things ever conceived for use in PS2. Well I say conceived but that might be being generous; copy and pasted from any arena deathmatch game circa 1999.
Old 2013-11-25, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
harbingerxy
Private

Literally no one likes lazy jump pads. Stop putting them in.
Old 2013-11-25, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

I like jump pads they make me go fast! More importantly... Aircraft Hangars! yes? yes!
Old 2013-11-25, 03:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by HereticusXZ View Post
I like jump pads they make me go fast! More importantly... Aircraft Hangars! yes? yes!
You know, when we made maps back in the day we allways wanted to use lifts instead of jump-pads because we felt jump pads were just lazy and a "easy way out" way of doing things.
Infact, we allways pointed that out when someone used a jump pad where a lift would work just as fine. And in my opinion that goes double when you are creating an "immersive", persistent game world. So yeah, lazy.

As for aircraft hangars, i'm not sure that those will work very well if they are like in the pics here. Too much crash n' burn potential.
Maybe the second floor on tech plants could be utilized for that though. Wall it off properly, maybe even add shields and turn it into a "fly through" repair and ammo pickup for aircrafts.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion