There is a new Tutorial - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Helping You Hack the Planet for 2+ years
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-11-18, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

There is a new Tutorial

And it's really good!
If you have a slot free make a char just to check it out, i was actually surprised by how well done it is. Haven't found/done any videos about it so you just gotta take my word on that. ;p

The only thing i would like to see is to be rewarded for finishing it. Let new players start out with like 100 certs given as reward for finishing the tutorial.

Because when i started with that new char just to get a littlebit of newbie perspective i noticed how damn annoying it is to do...anything lol.
No ams, no mines, no nothing. That makes it a grind to get to the point where you can atleast outfit one weapon to get going. And that's a turn off for real new people.

But the tutorial itself: Pretty much spot on, Good job!
Old 2013-11-18, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: There is a new Tutorial

Good to see that they added in a vehicle section. I think they gave the tutorial more of a track feeling (Putting the overload gen and the warpgate tut last).
I do think that it would benefit if it took players to VR before making them jump to a continent and into battle.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-11-18, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Glad you like it! Its a lot more challenging to make a good tutorial than it seems.

We have had plans to reward players with XP for each step to gel reinforce and to teach xp-> certs.

We don't put players in VR for a few reasons, the most important of which being they just spent a while downloading and then 15 min in a tutorial; they need to see action. The end of the tutorial teaches them how to get into action anytime and when they log in a second time. If we put them in VR some would get lost and confused and quickly bore of fighting non-responsive targets. They would want to know where the fight is and how to get to it. Its also important they get out and see the scale of PS2 and get to the meat of the game.

As it is 15 min is as long of a wait as they should ever have for that. Other concepts should be taught while playing, and we have more learning features planned for that.
Old 2013-11-18, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Heh, fair enough
By learning features, do you mean more tooltips and popups or improve upon those that are already in. Or both?

Edit: That reminds me. Are you going to add in more short class specific tutorials? (I don't know if you're counting the anti vehicle part as a heavy assault tutorial).

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-11-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 2013-11-18, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Blynd
First Sergeant

I remember in the ps tutorial if you did everything you came out BR4 or something like that. Would be good for them too see a benefit in xp and certs for doing it.
Old 2013-11-18, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
BRUTALPLAYS
Private

Originally Posted by Blynd View Post
I remember in the ps tutorial if you did everything you came out BR4 or something like that. Would be good for them too see a benefit in xp and certs for doing it.
I would also like to see this in PS2.
Old 2013-11-18, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Qwan
Captain

I think the tut is really good, a couple of buddies are looking to try again after I told them about the tut. They said when they first played the game they just dropped into a fight and died. This left a bad taste in there mouth.
Old 2013-11-18, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
PredatorFour
Major

I havn't seen it yet but i think it's great you've made a good new tutorial Malorn. I know a few poeple who were still unsure what to do after the other one and didn't really understand the game, niceone

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2013-11-18 at 12:14 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-11-18, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by BRUTALPLAYS View Post
I would also like to see this in PS2.
That's currently planned, but postponed for performance work. We'll get it in as soon as is feasible.

Also, for clarity the current Tutorial has been in for months, but got a significant extension back in GU12 where jump pads, tanks, generators, and vehicle driving was added.

Last edited by Malorn; 2013-11-18 at 04:20 PM.
Old 2013-11-18, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

You should make them drop pod into Auraxis again instead of starting in spawn rooms. :P
Old 2013-11-18, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Good to hear from you again, maestro. Glad to hear we're making progress on the user-friendliness front.

As long as we're getting a tutorial that grants newbies the chance to reap sweet XP as they complete it, how about a playground for them to complete it in? You could lift the VR areas verbatim and plop empire-color-coded versions of them on little islands in the ocean and let that be their user-friendly sandbox. Heck, you could even attach one or two rotating warpgates to let them travel into the war-torn battlespace beyond, for easy access. It might even eventually prove a good place to mass your empire's forces and admire your own serried ranks and argue where you should go.

And you could call them... uh, I dunno.... 'sanctuaries.'

That wouldn't be that much work in development time. Would it...?

/pleads

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2013-11-18 at 07:56 PM.
Old 2013-11-19, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post

Also, for clarity the current Tutorial has been in for months, but got a significant extension back in GU12 where jump pads, tanks, generators, and vehicle driving was added.
Lol, really? Why did nobody mention this? As i said it's really good and with it that "newbie experience" is pretty much covered imo.
I hadn't made a character in ages and untill i saw it a few days ago i thought people still get droppodded to their doom (or spawn squadded in a random base).

And since we as the community tend to be vocal about the games shortcomings and misdesigns, i think it's also important to point out when something has been done right and works very good. That's why i was surprised i haven't seen a thread about this.

With the tutorial and performance set, i would even go as far and say that the "shooter" part of this game is pretty much complete now (call-of-duty-ish and "deathmatchy" though it may be).
So hopefully, aside from the usual balancing stuff, we can now finally, please, get the darn planetside concept into this beast. PA-LEASE.
Old 2013-11-19, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
If you have a slot free make a char just to check it out, i was actually surprised by how well done it is.
You don't need to free up a toon for it, you can play the tutorial from the support menu on your current character.

I'm kinda surprised people didn't know about it (don't forget to check the map tutorial as well). It was in the patch notes and discussed in this forum afaik.

Would still love to see the map/GUI tutorial to be more of a mouse-over one, that is activated when playing for the first time, vs a static wall of text though. I don't think many people actually go through it.
Old 2013-11-20, 03:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
shaql
Private

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
The only thing i would like to see is to be rewarded for finishing it. Let new players start out with like 100 certs given as reward for finishing the tutorial.

Because when i started with that new char just to get a littlebit of newbie perspective i noticed how damn annoying it is to do...anything lol.
No ams, no mines, no nothing. That makes it a grind to get to the point where you can atleast outfit one weapon to get going. And that's a turn off for real new people.

really? I remember being a noob myself (without a tutorial back then): "What, we're getting jetpacks and cloaking BY DEFAULT?! And tanks and stuff? Shieeeet, this game is awesome!" (and then a year of playing flew by. :P )
Old 2013-11-20, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info

As a new player I did this tutorial, a couple of times. In my opinion it still leaves a lot of questions. And although the wiki here is very helpful there a shortcomings there too. I have had to rely quite a lot on my outfit chums to answer my "dumb" questions...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion