PSU: Welcome back, we've missed you.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2013-08-16, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
DovahTerran
Corporal

War Thunder. Yay or nay?

I've been thinking for a while about giving War Thunder a DL. Today I caved and as I write this it's downloading the 7 Gig and some odd game files.

Has anyone around here played it? I know the flight model in PS2 can't possibly compare to it, but I'm not playing it for that. I just wanna see if this new little MMO flight simulator is as fun as the Combat Flight Simulator 98-style games I played as a little kid. Flying around in a Mustang or a Fokker and blowing crap up with your cannons or rockets never gets old.

Any opinions?
Old 2013-08-16, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: War Thunder. Yay or nay?

Probably the best mainstream flight game currently on the market and since it's F2P you might as well give it a go. If you want something that's closer to a flight simulator you should go with full real battles or historical battles, instead of arcade battles. [These are the different modes in War Thunder]

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-08-16 at 11:08 AM.
Old 2013-08-18, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: War Thunder. Yay or nay?

There are no Fokkers yet. ( )

It's got balance issues and the refund service upon a change is a bit meh. The grind is very slow even in comparison to World of Tanks. Another thing is that they don't give equal weight to all nation trees, meaning the Russians and Germans have a significant hangar choice advantage over the others for now. The tiering is also still pretty beta, for instance, they put Lancaster bombers up against jet fighters. Not exactly a fair fight.

In fact, you'll find that though everything can down everything else in principle, there are nations with significant drawbacks to their units since the other nations have climbrate, weaponry, speed and other advantages at the same tier level due to their historical attributes not being compensated by hitpoints or so (especially pilots getting shot or wings, ailerons or tail controls if not the entire tail breaking off in the first cannon volley of a Russian who-ever-heard-of-it?-fighter can be a real pain).

Last edited by Figment; 2013-08-18 at 05:31 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion