Vehicle stealing - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Were not even flames hurt trolls
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-24, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Re: Vehicle stealing

Originally Posted by MCYRook View Post
In PS2, this raises an issue because vehicles cost (personal) resources. Higby has explicitly stated (ofc I forget when and where ) that they don't want the "rich guy" to spawn 10 tanks for his outfitmates to drive. In part, this kind of spamming is prevented by having timers on vehicle acquisition. But it's still doable ("Here, you drive my tank, and you drive my Lightning, and I'll be in an aircraft") if you can let someone else drive your stuff.
I think he was moreso getting at cool own timers for vehicle spawning.
Old 2012-07-24, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Novice bot
Sergeant

Well, I'd want to see opposing faction members having the possibility of stealing a vehicle of opposing faction.
Old 2012-07-24, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
soulsurfsublime
Corporal

I am not a PS vet so I was unaware that the 3 lock setting even existed. That sounds pretty cool. Also if stealing is put in, and you got in a different factions vehicle especially the Vanu wouldn't the controls have to seem foreign. Using an opposing factions unique vehicles you would think would put you at a huge disadvantage with it.

Last edited by soulsurfsublime; 2012-07-24 at 11:00 AM.
Old 2012-07-24, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rednas
Private

Originally Posted by Boomhowser View Post
I read the title and found that I jumped to the wrong conclusion... Yup I thought it would be about Jacking the enemy vehicles something I hope will be brought into the game sometime in the future.

As for your own faction nabbing your vehicles.. I have no probs with that since if im not in the vehicle im running a different function at that point in time, I fully expect that i'll have enough resources to have a vehicle any time I like once ive been playing for a few weeks
Well, say you are an engineer and you have a random person in your 2nd gun position. You get out of combat, get out of your tank to repair it with the intention of returning to the front line.

My experience with BF3 tells me that half of the random gunners just get in the driver's seat and drive off. Or, worse, they wait for you to finish repair and then drive off...

Now I hope they do implement a locking system which you can set to personal, squad, outfit or faction, as that would solve all the problems. I haven't seen any icons for free seats projected on the ground as in PS1 though...
Old 2012-07-24, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Boomhowser
Corporal

Originally Posted by Rednas View Post
Well, say you are an engineer and you have a random person in your 2nd gun position. You get out of combat, get out of your tank to repair it with the intention of returning to the front line.
If that was the case id have informed the gunner I was running repairs before heading back to the fight.. very rare is your vehicle nicked whilst out in the field its more a case of you jump out to cap a base and its re-appropriated as your doing so.

Dont get me wrong Im fine with a lock being in game that players can activate.. its just that it dosnt bother me losing my vehicle to another on my faction
Old 2012-07-24, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Simokon
Corporal

I certainly like the option to lock the driver seat, I would hate to hop out for a second and have someone jack my ride
Old 2012-07-24, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
soulsurfsublime
Corporal

Originally Posted by Simokon View Post
I would hate to hop out for a second and have someone jack my ride
Yeah Battlefield is notorious for getting out to repair only for it to take off the second you hopped out.
Old 2012-07-24, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
TheStigma
Corporal

The way PS1 had it - setting a lock on the vehicle to either "personal use only" - "my group only" or "my whole empire" was awesome and pretty much problem free. I can't see why they wouldn't do it exactly the same way given that they are already modeling so much of PS2 based on the baseline of PS1. Not being able to control who uses a vehicle once you have basically "claimed" it is one of the most annoying things in BF3 right now. If we run a tight coordinated tank crew and then randoms hop in and steal seats or the entire vehicle just because we had to exit to repair or deal with some other treat for a second or two - that really sucks. BF3 could learn from planetside here.

As for what happens to your locked vehicle after you die - I assume it despawns or detonates after being unattended for a significant period of time - unless of course some enemy hacks it and takes it for a ride =P Could be nice if you got a clicky-box when you died that allowed you to unlock all vehicles you owned in case you would like to leave them for your empire rather than let them go to waste.

I really really wish for a "garage" feature that lets you store a handful of vehicles manually just like lockers do with items. It would be so sweeet to be able to capture en enemy empire spesific vehicle and then be able to safe it for later use for something special. Given that its gone once you lose it anyway I don't see any problems with this and it would effectively add more "rare" items to the game (ie. the items and vehicles that you are not really supposed to have on your empire)

-Stigma

Last edited by TheStigma; 2012-07-24 at 11:08 AM.
Old 2012-07-24, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rednas
Private

Originally Posted by soulsurfsublime View Post
Yeah Battlefield is notorious for getting out to repair only for it to take off the second you hopped out.
My point exactly. It'd be even worse if you had paid for it!
Old 2012-07-24, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Simokon
Corporal

Originally Posted by Rednas View Post
My point exactly. It'd be even worse if you had paid for it!
That would be pretty terrible, and there are no police to chase the offender down! Unless you TKed them and then people would probably think you were the bad guy
Old 2012-07-24, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
WolfAlmighty
Private

So in PS1, could you swipe an enemy faction's unattended vehicle? I remember in the early days of BF2 you could approach new enemy tank drivers while holding a medkit, they'd think it was C4 so they'd hop out quickly to try to kill you, you could then take the now-unoccupied tank and make off with it (killing the poor SOB you just tricked into giving it to you first, of course, although sometimes it was more satisfying to make him hoof it back to base instead...yes, I am a bastard ).
Old 2012-07-24, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Boomhowser
Corporal

Originally Posted by WolfAlmighty View Post
So in PS1, could you swipe an enemy faction's unattended vehicle?
You needed to be specced into Adv Hack to swipe enemy faction vehicles but a succesful steal felt so good...
My first magrider steal was great, I remember the VS member swearing me down in tells then 10 seconds later burst out laughing as he realized I couldnt pilot the damn thing and blew myself up on a dozen of his mines.. after that I was hooked on stealing Magriders just so I could teach myself to drive mowers
Old 2012-07-24, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by WolfAlmighty View Post
So in PS1, could you swipe an enemy faction's unattended vehicle? I remember in the early days of BF2 you could approach new enemy tank drivers while holding a medkit, they'd think it was C4 so they'd hop out quickly to try to kill you, you could then take the now-unoccupied tank and make off with it (killing the poor SOB you just tricked into giving it to you first, of course, although sometimes it was more satisfying to make him hoof it back to base instead...yes, I am a bastard ).
Actually, there were two hack cert levels. One of the levels you could steal the enemy vehicle with no occupants. The other hack level allowed you to steal the vehicle with occupants!
Old 2012-07-24, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
WolfAlmighty
Private

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Actually, there were two hack cert levels. One of the levels you could steal the enemy vehicle with no occupants. The other hack level allowed you to steal the vehicle with occupants!
Ooh, that sounds like a lot of fun! Cheers!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion