Downplaying future theme so that... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Priceless
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-11, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Stardouser
Colonel

Downplaying future theme so that...

As I've mentioned, a lot of the people I see throughout the Battlefield community get giddy when told about PS2 and the huge game world, and often, they come back sad saying "future theme" after they look at screenshots. A good chunk of BF players won't even try 2142.

Now, the game IS future theme, nothing can be done about that. But perhaps this could be downplayed? Perhaps some of you who are good at making comparison videos or screenshot montages would be interested in putting something together that emphasizes the non-futuristic aspects? ie, guns still fire bullets. And one thing that impresses me is that at least visually, what we've seen of tanks looks a lot more BF-ish than PS1.

Unfortunately, some things have to simply be avoided, for example, the buildings - none of those look like modern buildings.

Anyway, I know this might not really be possible to do until open beta, but it's something to think about.
Old 2012-04-11, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Re: Downplaying future theme so that...

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
a lot of the people I see throughout the Battlefield community get giddy when told about PS2 and the huge game world, and often, they come back sad saying "future theme"
We don't want them.
Old 2012-04-11, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

2142 was brilliant, PS2 is even more brilliant. Your friends loss.
Old 2012-04-11, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Vancha
Colonel

As I asked in the other thread, would these people be happy with any modern-theme? An alternate-universe modernity? Or do they simply refuse to expand their horizons beyond MMS games?

I suppose what I'm asking is, is there a rational basis behind their discrimination, or are they just being ridiculous?

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-04-11 at 08:29 AM.
Old 2012-04-11, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Shogun
Contributor
General

no way!

if there were a "battlefield massive " with typical military realism theme, i wouldn´t play it at all.
let dice do this after they realize what huge success planetside 2 is.

there are a lot of people who totally love scifi, and planetside is all about scifi, so leave it that way.

games will follow up that may meet the need of military realism or lolbrown shooters, but ps is not the one.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-04-11, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
ringring
Contributor
General

Can you expand on why? What is it about a future theme that causes them to reject ps?

After, there is a sci-fi theme but after all, the weapons aren't that advanced. We don't have Skyhawks with pilots ensconced in a bunker deep in a mountain controlling it remotely.

We do have tanks, with roughly WW2 tech, same for aircraft except for A to A missiles which in concept is already 30 years old.

Maybe it's the role-play?

I would say to em, the environment, buildings and weapons are designed for fun gameplay but not role-play or simulation of the real world (which is impossible anyway).

Dunno.
Old 2012-04-11, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SgtMAD
Captain

As I've mentioned, a lot of the people I see throughout the Battlefield community get giddy when told about PS2 and the huge game world, and often, they come back sad saying "future theme" after they look at screenshots. A good chunk of BF players won't even try 2142.

Now, the game IS future theme, nothing can be done about that. But perhaps this could be downplayed? Perhaps some of you who are good at making comparison videos or screenshot montages would be interested in putting something together that emphasizes the non-futuristic aspects? ie, guns still fire bullets. And one thing that impresses me is that at least visually, what we've seen of tanks looks a lot more BF-ish than PS1.

Unfortunately, some things have to simply be avoided, for example, the buildings - none of those look like modern buildings.

Anyway, I know this might not really be possible to do until open beta, but it's something to think about.
NO,it's not,we don't have to think about any of this.
Old 2012-04-11, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
urusok
Private

Now, the game IS future theme, nothing can be done about that. But perhaps this could be downplayed?
This kinda defeats the purpose of the game for me, I absolutely love sci-fi/future theme, and it's also why I love vanu.
Old 2012-04-11, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Eighm
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
We don't want them.
Not to sound like an ass, but I agree with this. If they're not open to a future setting why would we want them playing a game set in the future? I for one don't see what the problem is with a future setting full of made-up tech. One can only fire virtual M4s and AKs before everything starts to look and play the same.
Old 2012-04-11, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Just tell them to try it. It is a free game, and once they play some they will love it, and if they don't no loss to them.
Old 2012-04-11, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

No, Why would you downplay the sci-fi theme of the game. That's what we all love. Its free so tell them to try it otherwise they can gtfo and go back to BF3.

ps: Sounds a little harsh but that's how I feel about it.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-04-11 at 09:58 AM.
Old 2012-04-11, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
moosepoop
Captain

obvious troll
Old 2012-04-11, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Felkine
Private

If people don't like the future theme then they shouldn't play this game, its simple as that. There are shitload of games with ww2, cold war, modern day themes. Why would somebody make video that points out the "non-future" stuff, just to get some BF fanboys in game. And have you ever asked yourself that people played PS1 maybe because it was future themed?
Like some people said before me, we don't need those people.Enough compromises were already made to suit bf players.

Last edited by Felkine; 2012-04-11 at 10:15 AM.
Old 2012-04-11, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
moosepoop
Captain

when i was a kid i imagined massive future battles and drew pictures about them. planetside made my dreams come true.
Old 2012-04-11, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Stardouser
a lot of the people I see throughout the Battlefield community get giddy when told about PS2 and the huge game world, and often, they come back sad saying "future theme"
Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
We don't want them.
I think you might miss the point Stardouser, many people are not exactly thrilled about some of the Battlefield type elements they are adding in the game such as the class system and the Single seater tanks.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion