SOE Game Distribution - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The movie.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-01, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MonsterBone
First Sergeant

SOE Game Distribution

SOE makes great games. They also use great technology. However, where they seem to fall down is game distribution.

I mean its even hard to find a way to get a copy of PS1 from their page. The SOE distribution platform is just not great. What is so wrong with Steam? Higby mentioned Steam once and all the COD fans love Steam. I know its a free game but still.

Last edited by MonsterBone; 2012-05-01 at 09:39 PM.
Old 2012-05-01, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: SOE Game Distribution

all new games or games DX9 compliment are on steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/search...+entertainment

Planetside wasn't DX9 compliant at the time they put the other soe games on steam, it missed the boat, you think it would have been added...but i guess its best if potential customers for PS2 dont see PS1 anyway...

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-01, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NCLynx
Major

I wouldn't doubt we're going to see it on Steam. That's just my guess though.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-01, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
RawketLawnchair
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
I wouldn't doubt we're going to see it on Steam. That's just my guess though.
I second that. Steam has a huge community, and its a great way of distributing games digitally.
Old 2012-05-01, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by RawketLawnchair View Post
I second that. Steam has a huge community, and its a great way of distributing games digitally.
That, and SoE already has games on there.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-01, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zulthus
Colonel

I wish they would put boxed copies on the shelves. Whenever it comes to big name games (Battlefield, TES, stuff of the like) I would always go and buy a boxed copy compared to a DD. Especially if it's a CE.
Old 2012-05-01, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I can imagine what the first week on the PS2 servers after an official steam release will be like ...

Oh, my, fucking, god...

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-05-01, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SKYeXile
Major General

it certainly a good way for them to advertise the game, just look at dungeon defenders, it was a unique (but 3rd rate) game advertised pretty much only on steam sold for $12 and sold well over half a million copies. think of the amount of players they could get in if planetisde 2 just advertised on steam.

but for the distribution...download it through station launcher?...

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-01, 10:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I'll just float this out there, since it's somewhat on topic.

It astounds me how many free to play games shoot themselves in the foot with terrible distribution/installers.

Step one to converting F2P to some paid revenue is to make sure your users can actually install the game and patch it.

Yet 4 games I've tried to download and install in the past month have simply not worked, and trying to find support just results in crickets.

Not small profile games, either -- I'm talking City of Heroes (gives me a 403: Forbidden error when I run the - I presume, web-based - installer, citing a server error); DCUO (similarly gives me a vague and generic error message that suggests it's a problem with the server; I got around that one since it's on Steam, too); and two others...

So, yeah. Keep that in mind, guys.
Old 2012-05-01, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Free to play MMOs on steam get TONS of attention. I played Stronghold Kingdoms for about 6 months, it had a steady player base enough for 2 servers (slowly growing).

Then they get on steam and two weeks later they are up to 5 servers.
Old 2012-05-02, 02:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
xSquirtle
Staff Sergeant

I never understood why SOE never puts "DOWNLOAD YOUR GAME HERE!" in clear bolded letters in an easy to access area. Instead they have to search through mountains of pages of useless crap each time, same goes for their account subscription manager.

having that being said, they need stream's "DOWNLOAD NOW" ability.

Originally Posted by UrielVS
Looking from the outside in. The game does not represent Planetside. With original concepts that players across the board accepted with open arms; have been taken out. Developers are creating the next COD on a massive scale. Generic players who never saw or even felt the uniqueness of the game, will only continue to nod their heads with blinding satisfaction, not realizing what basic functionality the game will lose in the process.
Old 2012-05-02, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
I never understood why SOE never puts "DOWNLOAD YOUR GAME HERE!" in clear bolded letters in an easy to access area. Instead they have to search through mountains of pages of useless crap each time, same goes for their account subscription manager.

I really don't know what some of you are talking about. Go to EverQuest 2.com and whats the first thing you see? PLAY NOW which instantly starts downloading. Its the same story for (in no particular order) EverQuest Live, FreeRealms, DC Universe Online, Clone Wars Adventures, Magic the Gathering Tactics, Legends of Norrath, and PoxNora.

For other non-free to play games they have obvious buy now buttons such as Payday the Heist, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, and Planetside Live.

But even if you just head straight to SOE.com they have every single game right there in a huge list for you with convenient play now buttons. They even have a Games tab at the very top of the website with Free Trials link, which leads to direct downloads and reinstall links for all of their game trials or if you're already subscribed. I don't really know what more you want.
Old 2012-05-02, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by xSquirtle View Post
Huh, there it is again.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-02, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

I can understand frustration in not finding a way to play a game which hasn't been in retail stores since 2004. I do think to be fair however, you can't really compare this to an upcoming title release.

In order for folks to play it, it has to be readily available and we are fully prepared to ensure that happens.

Also, if you search for our other products you will find almost all of them on Steam. That is not stating PlanetSide 2 will be on Steam because we've made no such announcement. We are however very keen on that distribution channel.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

I really don't care how they distribute it once it done, I'll find it one way or another... _as long as they steer clear of anything with and EA or Origin logo!_
I know it's unlikely EA will have anything to do with this game, but just incase... please for the love of all that is high tech and purple.... spit in the face of anyone from EA if they even come close to PS2!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion