News: PAX Future of Online Games Panel - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stalks hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-10, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Vancha
Colonel

Re: PAX Future of Online Games Panel

Originally Posted by Carbanu View Post
I think we are all of a consensus that Planetside 2 NOT GW2 is the future of online gaming.... period!
Are you just trolling this thread or what?

I'd say they both are, though I think GW2 is more likely to be than PS2, if I'm honest.

GW2 implements a group dynamic that I think we'll see a lot more of, but the dynamic events system especially is something that I think MMOs will be expected to have in future. Hell, I wish there was something similar in Planetside, albeit without NPCs (I'm not entirely sure how that'd work). I also think we'll see most future MMOs adopt their combat system, instead of the typical WoW-style combat we've had for the past decade.

There are other MMORPGs coming out, but GW2 is the only one that's a clear progression of the genre, so far.

Planetside 2 on the other hand is just one MMOFPS of a few that are coming out...Firefall especially looks promising (albeit targeting a fairly different audience). As far as a purely PvP MMOFPS, PS2 should be unrivaled, but then I'm not sure how much room there is for multiple games like that. Planetside 2 will hopefully be a part of the future of gaming, but I'm not sure the future of gaming should consist more of Planetside 2 than GW2.

Basically, GW2 has innovations which I believe could benefit other games without turning them into GW2 clones, while if you applied the features that makes Planetside so great to other games, I think you'd only ever end up with something very similar to Planetside.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-04-10 at 06:50 AM.
Old 2012-04-10, 06:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Planetside 2 on the other hand is just one MMOFPS of a few that are coming out...Firefall especially looks promising (albeit targeting a fairly different audience). As far as a purely PvP MMOFPS, PS2 should be unrivaled, but then I'm not sure how much room there is for multiple games like that. Planetside 2 will hopefully be a part of the future of gaming, but I'm not sure the future of gaming should consist more of Planetside 2 than GW2.
At a bare minimum I'd like to see a modern themed MMOFPS and also a replacement for WW2OL, as WW2OL is too slow and mil sim.

A LOT of people over Mordor do not take interest in Planetside 2 because of the future theme. Now, a lot of times people say, so what, 300 people on a forum don't mean anything. But lack of interest in a theme is not the same as if we were talking about some casualization feature. If that many guys on one forum don't like future shooters, I'm betting the same goes for a lot of folks out there. So there's almost certainly room for a modern theme MMOFPS. And WW2, considering how low pop WW2OL is due to the gameplay. It's not that the map is THAT big, I mean, I'd shrink it to about 60% of what it is, but it's also the fact that you can't jump in and out of vehicles, and other slownesses.
Old 2012-04-10, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

The only future theme of ps2 is VS. if they don't want that tell them to go TR or NC.
Old 2012-04-10, 07:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
The only future theme of ps2 is VS. if they don't want that tell them to go TR or NC.
You know, when people say that, I tell them hey, the guns still fire bullets(although I have to keep quiet about VS).

But it isn't just that; it's the uniforms(all the soldiers in head to toe armor), and the air vehicles especially. Although I DO note that at the very least, the PS2 tanks we saw in the videos look a lot more like BAttlefield tanks...

And then there's things like warp gates...
Old 2012-04-10, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
A LOT of people over Mordor do not take interest in Planetside 2 because of the future theme. Now, a lot of times people say, so what, 300 people on a forum don't mean anything. But lack of interest in a theme is not the same as if we were talking about some casualization feature.
Correct. Casualisation features are occasionally worth taking seriously.

Refusing to play PS2 because of it's theme reminds me of people who refuse to play any high fantasy games because of their paranoid aversion to anything that remotely reminds them of WoW.

I wonder what percentage of the group you mentioned would be happy with anything other than a modern military MMOFPS? If APB was the best game ever, or if someone made an awesome matrix-styled MMOFPS, would they be happy with that?
Old 2012-04-10, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
atomos
Private

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
I was surprised at Matt's answer on the "why is everybody doing MMO shooters now." I figured he would have come at that answer from the technology side. Main points being internet bandwidth, server/PC computing power, code maturity. He has said something to that effect before, right?
I also expected something different, I think it has something to do with the success of CoD/BF with customers paying some sort of subscription whether it be xbox live, map packs or codelite that makes it attractive for investors. There are also no 'modern' MMOFPS on the market and from the experience of PS1, a modern PS1 will be awesome.
Old 2012-04-10, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
You know, when people say that, I tell them hey, the guns still fire bullets(although I have to keep quiet about VS).

But it isn't just that; it's the uniforms(all the soldiers in head to toe armor), and the air vehicles especially. Although I DO note that at the very least, the PS2 tanks we saw in the videos look a lot more like BAttlefield tanks...

And then there's things like warp gates...
Well its F2P, so make them play when it comes out. No reason not to try it with this being the case.

I don't see anything wrong with the armor, I personally love it.

Sounds like they are more worried about the actual cosmetic side, not the actual future mechanics.

Warp gates I don't really get the issue there. There is different maps. Would they rather hop in a C-130 and travel for 5 minutes to the new map? lol

Tell them to get off the modern warfare seen and move onto something new. Its been going on for way to long now imo.
Old 2012-04-10, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Well its F2P, so make them play when it comes out. No reason not to try it with this being the case.

I don't see anything wrong with the armor, I personally love it.

Sounds like they are more worried about the actual cosmetic side, not the actual future mechanics.

Warp gates I don't really get the issue there. There is different maps. Would they rather hop in a C-130 and travel for 5 minutes to the new map? lol

Tell them to get off the modern warfare seen and move onto something new. Its been going on for way to long now imo.
I didn't mean that there was anything wrong with the armor, I just meant that the tanks we've seen look more like BF tanks, and as a result, that's something that I can use to tell future theme haters that hey, it's not so futuristic after all!

But you're right, when it comes down to it, 95% of this stuff is cosmetic. But the fact that it's free 2 play, I don't think that will make a difference to these people.

Personally I prefer a modern theme, but that is not because I dislike future theme, it's because, for example, I prefer helicopters and jets instead of VTOL hover aircraft. And city combat. But believe me, I'm simply saying I prefer that theme, but what I prefer above ALL else is huge maps with strategic play aspects. That doesn't exist in BF, but does in Planetside, and so here I am. And so, I just mean that there is a market for more MMOFPSs.

But when Planetside 2 hits, and it proves to be as awesome as it seems, I'll be ramping up the propaganda to get BF vets to come over here.

EDIT: Who here is good at making video montages and/or screenshot montages? When open beta hits it would be a good idea to make videos that downplay the future theme so we can get more Battlefield Refugees on board.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-04-10 at 01:19 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion