Sunderer - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Life is just death postponed
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-03, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
JesNC
Master Sergeant

Re: Sunderer

One's a light tank, the other is an APC. Kinda hard to confuse their roles really.

And MRAP is an attribute to a vehicle, not a distinct vehicle class.

So what's this thread about again?

Last edited by JesNC; 2012-08-03 at 06:24 PM.
Old 2012-08-03, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by JesNC View Post
One's a light tank, the other is an APC. Kinda hard to confuse their roles really.

And MRAP is an attribute to a vehicle, not a distinct vehicle class.

So what's this thread about again?
I simply state that in relation to direct combat capability the Lightning is closer to the Stryker than the Sunderer is. In terms of combat transportation capability the Sunderer is closer to the Stryker than the Lightning is. The Stryker fills multiple niches.

The MRAP variant I refer to is:

Old 2012-08-03, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Ertwin
Staff Sergeant

In all likelihood, there will be a utility that allows you to "MRAP" your vehicle. (Make it resistant to mines)

I'm pretty sure I heard that listed as an example in one of the earliest talks about sidegrades.
Old 2012-08-03, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Reaction
Private

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
I simply state that in relation to direct combat capability the Lightning is closer to the Stryker than the Sunderer is. In terms of combat transportation capability the Sunderer is closer to the Stryker than the Lightning is. The Stryker fills multiple niches.

The MRAP variant I refer to is:

I understand what your trying to say however You do realize the Lightning has a 105 main cannon on it correct?

Stryker's with this option do not carry squads of ground troops however. Normal mobile stryker's usually have a 30mm chain gun or a TOW launcher or some type of similar varient while still carrying the squads etc.

that's all i mean really the lightning does not fill a stryker's role.. the bradley would be closer to the lightning's role even tho it can carry a squad also.

One of my first priorities on certs besides command certs will be to fully deck out the sund as I believe it will be a major part of PS2 combat and tactics.. and not as under utalized as the bang bus was in PS1.

Last edited by Reaction; 2012-08-03 at 07:51 PM.
Old 2012-08-03, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Gugabalog
Major

The Stryker can mount the same cannon as the Abrams. I've already clearly outlined the Sunderer and Lightning both fill different roles that the Stryker fills both of.

Now can we please get past the "Is it similar or not?" part and on to the "Any ideas about combat doctrine?" part?
Old 2012-08-03, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

The Stryker can mount the same cannon as the Abrams. I've already clearly outlined the Sunderer and Lightning both fill different roles that the Stryker fills both of.

Now can we please get past the "Is it similar or not?" part and on to the "Any ideas about combat doctrine?" part?
You don't seem to understand the absurdity of your statement.

You are comparing a lightly armored single man vehicle to a heavily armed and armored multi-passanger troop transport vehicle.

The lightning of PS1 had a single 75mm cannon and a 25mm machine gun. The newly referbished and fully modified Sunderer of PS1 featured 2 75mm cannons and 2 25mm machine guns on top, as well as two side mounted machine guns of I can't remember what caliber but I think it was 25mm machine guns.

PS2's Sunderer will probably have a similar armament and be fully customizable to allow for more players to have fun. Including the potential ability for passengers to shoot out of the ports themselves.

The Stryker is a multi-purpose vehicle that can have several gun mounts on it, so can the Sunderer. In fact I'm fairly certain that every vehicle in the game will have multiple weapons available for use. But the core purpose behind the Stryker and Sunderer is the same, troop transportation and fire support.

The Lightning will never serve as troop transport and likely won't make effective fire support. It's probably going to be the game's tank killer and mobile AA support.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 2012-08-03 at 08:10 PM.
Old 2012-08-03, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
aleksandrgrc
Corporal

i think this all depends on what the populations like in the area ur playing, attacking or defending. i wanna see a video of a sundie or pair of pushing a MBT off of a cliff face at some point. just throwing that out there.
Old 2012-08-03, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
You don't seem to understand the absurdity of your statement.

You are comparing a lightly armored single man vehicle to a heavily armed and armored multi-passanger troop transport vehicle.

The lightning of PS1 had a single 75mm cannon and a 25mm machine gun. The newly referbished and fully modified Sunderer of PS1 featured 2 75mm cannons and 2 25mm machine guns on top, as well as two side mounted machine guns of I can't remember what caliber but I think it was 25mm machine guns.

PS2's Sunderer will probably have a similar armament and be fully customizable to allow for more players to have fun. Including the potential ability for passengers to shoot out of the ports themselves.

The Stryker is a multi-purpose vehicle that can have several gun mounts on it, so can the Sunderer. In fact I'm fairly certain that every vehicle in the game will have multiple weapons available for use. But the core purpose behind the Stryker and Sunderer is the same, troop transportation and fire support.

The Lightning will never serve as troop transport and likely won't make effective fire support. It's probably going to be the game's tank killer and mobile AA support.
I see the Lightning as the equivalent of a Stryker with a 120 cannon and a Sunderer as Heavy Troop transport w/o very heavy firepower albeit still considerable firepower. Is there anything absurd about that?
Now can we move the discussion forward?
Old 2012-08-03, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
aleksandrgrc
Corporal

also, a cow catcher add on. if woody harlson can have one on a cadillac suv in zombieland. than i want to see that crap on sundies in planetside maybe spiked hubcaps or a rhino horn as well lol.
Old 2012-08-03, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Gugabalog
Major

The rhino horn might work. Sunderers are supposed to be great at ramming.

I was wondering about CIC sunderers the other day.
Old 2012-08-03, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
aleksandrgrc
Corporal

i liked the video with total halibut when three sunderers blew by him in that one small base that was pretty intimidating to think him and his squad being pushed indoors simply by the space those rhinos take up then pinned inside with 6 turrets possibly grenade launchers and having up to 30 guys take the territory without giving the defenders a fair fight from square one. i think in smaller battles these will pin troops and allow their own infantry to seize advantage upon arrival. also of note was that one of them in the video was on fire and eventually blew up, but it made it to target while the other two seemed undamaged. in larger battles left behind to target aircraft or used to suicide up close to the base. i figure galaxies will be more usefull in the larger battles and overkill in smaller. but what the hell do i know. will there be such things as smaller battles lol? also i dont see the sunder doing much in defensive rolls. other than just sitting their maybe shooting aircraft if its covered well.

i can also see some players using it as a replacement for biggies for the time being if they can get one to move and turn well enough.
Old 2012-08-03, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

It carries a full squad and has more hp and firepower than a tank.

There's a reason we call it the bang bus.
Old 2012-08-03, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I always thought it was called the bang bus because anyone who gets inside gets F'd.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2012-08-03, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by aleksandrgrc View Post
i liked the video with total halibut when three sunderers blew by him in that one small base that was pretty intimidating to think him and his squad being pushed indoors simply by the space those rhinos take up then pinned inside with 6 turrets possibly grenade launchers and having up to 30 guys take the territory without giving the defenders a fair fight from square one. i think in smaller battles these will pin troops and allow their own infantry to seize advantage upon arrival. also of note was that one of them in the video was on fire and eventually blew up, but it made it to target while the other two seemed undamaged. in larger battles left behind to target aircraft or used to suicide up close to the base. i figure galaxies will be more usefull in the larger battles and overkill in smaller. but what the hell do i know. will there be such things as smaller battles lol? also i dont see the sunder doing much in defensive rolls. other than just sitting their maybe shooting aircraft if its covered well.

i can also see some players using it as a replacement for biggies for the time being if they can get one to move and turn well enough.

You mentioned the sunderer as part of a defense. I really dont see the sundy being very capable in support of a base defense. Beta will tell but being part of a static defense kind of cripples all the best things a sunderer can do.
Old 2012-08-03, 10:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Reaction
Private

i don't care either way but I suggest you research it more because what you wrote is incorrect. Since you want to be an ass about it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion